pedals

Old July 29th 05, 07:49 PM
Mr Flowers

Default pedals

im thinking of buying look style pedals over spd's for a road bike. is this
wise and if so will any shoes fit?

Old July 29th 05, 08:15 PM
Peter Clinch

Mr Flowers wrote:
im thinking of buying look style pedals over spd's for a road bike. is this
wise and if so will any shoes fit?

Yes, and No, respectively.

Looks have a bigger platform and a bigger cleat than SPuDs so
there's a better base for pedalling. But you'll need a shoe with a
3 point fixing to take a Look cleat, which means (a) a smaller
range of shoes to play with, most of which will have (b) "tottering
mode" rather than "walk mode" off the bike. That's not an issue on
the bike, but if you ride out into the country and then wander
round places on foot, or do your Tesco run by bike etc. as some of
us do then Looks would quite possibly be A Mistake (Helen Wafflycat
has Look compatible shoes with recessed cleats, but general opinion
is that they're mutants beamed here from a parallel universe and
nobody else has seen the like).

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old July 29th 05, 08:30 PM
wafflycat

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
(Helen Wafflycat
has Look compatible shoes with recessed cleats, but general opinion is
that they're mutants beamed here from a parallel universe and nobody else
has seen the like).

Pete.

That is because the PSF can access what mere mortals cannot ;-)

Cheers, helen s

Old July 29th 05, 08:46 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Mr Flowers
') wrote:

im thinking of buying look style pedals over spd's for a road bike. is
this wise

Yes. You'll get more comfort and better aerodynamics.

and if so will any shoes fit?

No. SPD and most other MTB pedal systems use two bolts across the width
of the ball of the foot. Look and most other road systems use three
bolts in a triangular pattern. Some shoes have five bolt holes and can
take both types. Don't go for a solution which involves an 'adaptor
plate' - it just adds weight for no benefit.

Also be aware that most road shoes are not comfortable to walk in for any
distance more than a dozen yards, and may be very slippery when walking.

;; This email may contain confidential or otherwise privileged
;; information, though, quite frankly, if you're not the intended
;; recipient and you've got nothing better to do than read other
;; folks' emails then I'm glad to have brightened up your sad little
;; life a tiny bit.
Old July 29th 05, 09:32 PM
Jon Senior

Simon Brooke wrote:
Also be aware that most road shoes are not comfortable to walk in for any
distance more than a dozen yards, and may be very slippery when walking.

Fond memories of the Sunday club runs down south: A dozen or so cyclists
in full gimp gear clicking and sliding their way into various cafes.

Jon
Old July 29th 05, 11:31 PM
Tony Raven

wafflycat wrote:

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
(Helen Wafflycat

has Look compatible shoes with recessed cleats, but general opinion is
that they're mutants beamed here from a parallel universe and nobody
else has seen the like).

Pete.

That is because the PSF can access what mere mortals cannot ;-)

More likely Vernon has a bigger hammer to make them fit. ;-)

--
Tony

Anon
Old July 29th 05, 11:45 PM
Tony Raven

Jon Senior wrote:
Tony Raven wrote:

More likely Vernon has a bigger hammer to make them fit. ;-)

And self-tapping screws!

Any screw is self tapping if you have a big enough hammer ;-)

--
Tony

Anon
Old July 29th 05, 11:51 PM
Jon Senior

Old July 30th 05, 08:50 AM
Peter B

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
Jon Senior wrote:
Tony Raven wrote:

More likely Vernon has a bigger hammer to make them fit. ;-)

And self-tapping screws!

Any screw is self tapping if you have a big enough hammer ;-)

My theory is that she relieved them from some poor sod she'd just Paving
Slabbed.
The slab hit him from a high trajectory squarely on the head and compressed
his body, Road Runner stylee, recessing the cleats in the process.
PSF carefully prised off the shoes before burning the body and presented
them to Vernon as a warning of his fate should he "come out" in his b*b
shorts.

--
Pete