Detachable Luggage System?

Old July 15th 08, 12:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default Detachable Luggage System?

I'm currently using one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/5zdhaj

Works reasonably well.

Folds flat when not in use - although it's always in use.

Removes/installs in about 1.5 seconds.

Has a shoulder strap.

But it doesn't seem like the optimal fit for me.

Going to work, I always wind up cramming a sling sack into it and
carrying the sling sack at work.

Also, stuff tends to bounce out of it.

I'm thinking maybe some sort of messenger bag/sling sack
interface where there's a flat plate attached to the bike that
has a fold-down foot for support - and then the user's choice of
knapsack, sling sack, messenger bag, or whatever just lays on the
folding foot and gets bungeed to the plate.

Am I making any sense at all here?

Anybody found something they like that gives the user their
choice of carrying sack?
--
PeteCresswell
Old July 15th 08, 12:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark[_9_]

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
I'm currently using one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/5zdhaj

Works reasonably well.

Folds flat when not in use - although it's always in use.

Removes/installs in about 1.5 seconds.

Has a shoulder strap.

But it doesn't seem like the optimal fit for me.

Going to work, I always wind up cramming a sling sack into it and
carrying the sling sack at work.

Also, stuff tends to bounce out of it.

This isn't /much/ different than what you're using, except that things
won't bounce out when it's zipped shut: http://www.rei.com/product/748088

I've been using one for a year now (after 25+ commuting years with
various panniers), and like it very much. It's huge, quick on/off,
quite waterproof (comes with a raincover I've never needed to use in
rainy Oregon), has the (permanently attached) shoulder strap you wanted.
Plenty of internal pockets but the main interior volume is one huge
zipped compartment.

Dunno if that helps, but the item is worth a plug from me.

Mark J.
Old July 15th 08, 01:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

I'm currently using one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/5zdhaj

Works reasonably well.

Folds flat when not in use - although it's always in use.

Removes/installs in about 1.5 seconds.

Has a shoulder strap.

But it doesn't seem like the optimal fit for me.

Going to work, I always wind up cramming a sling sack into it and
carrying the sling sack at work.

Also, stuff tends to bounce out of it.

I use one of those, and stuff never bounces out.
You might tie down the basket so that it does not
bounce up from the rack.

--
Michael Press
Old July 15th 08, 01:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Mark:
Plenty of internal pockets but the main interior volume is one huge
zipped compartment.

Dunno if that helps, but the item is worth a plug from me.

Certainly looks like a step up from what I have.

Sounds like you're not experiencing any of the durability issues
alluded to in some of the reviews.

?
--
PeteCresswell
Old July 15th 08, 02:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark[_9_]

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Mark:
Plenty of internal pockets but the main interior volume is one huge
zipped compartment.

Dunno if that helps, but the item is worth a plug from me.

Certainly looks like a step up from what I have.

Sounds like you're not experiencing any of the durability issues
alluded to in some of the reviews.

Wow. Those reviews were posted after I bought the thing, so I hadn't
read them until now. They sound like a different bag than mine, my
experience is so different.

In fact, some of these must have a different (model of?) bag than I do -
my "backboard" is some sort of rigid plastic, so even if the bag did
leak the board couldn't go soggy. I transport thick stacks of papers
and/or textbooks regularly, so I know mine takes heavy loads w/o failure
(and that it hasn't leaked so far). The handle strap (different from
shoulder strap) is holding on just fine so far, though I'll admit it
seems a bit flimsy for 10+ lb loads. The mounting hardware seems
bombproof to me.

I bought this last fall, when the model first came out AFAIK, so it's
hard to explain how mine could be a revised model, but the failures
described would be hard to imagine for the bag I've been using.

HTH,

Mark J.
Old July 18th 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Mark:
Plenty of internal pockets but the main interior volume is one huge
zipped compartment.

Dunno if that helps, but the item is worth a plug from me.

Certainly looks like a step up from what I have.

Sounds like you're not experiencing any of the durability issues
alluded to in some of the reviews.

Does not REI stand for Return Every Item (if defective)?

"People who had no mercy will find none." - Anon.
Old July 19th 08, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Tom Sherman:
Does not REI stand for Return Every Item (if defective)?

They've been good to me in that respect.

In fact, I've got to pair of shorts that I've been trying to get
up the nerve to return bc the pockets are mis-cut - they're so
shallow that stuff consistently falls out of them.
--
PeteCresswell
Old July 28th 08, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Alan Hoyle

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 19:23:32, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
I'm currently using one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/5zdhaj

Works reasonably well.

Folds flat when not in use - although it's always in use.

I use two panniers. One of the ones you have (though I haven't had
trouble with stuff bouncing out), and one of these:

http://www.rei.com/product/737830

It's completely waterproof and has a more comfortable strap.
Attaching and detaching it from the rack is much faster and more
convenient than the Jandd.

E.g to remove the Jandd, I have to dig around to find the shoulder
strap (if I don't do this, I find the bag to be unbalanced and likely
to spill contents), pull up on the handle until the hooks are free,
release tension from the bungie until the hook is loose, and let the
hook slip off.

With the Ortleib, you just grab the handle attached to the hooks and
it just instantly comes off. The shoulder strap/carrying handle is on
the outside and much more convenient.

I also find the Ortlieb's QL hooks to be more secure. I've had my
Jandd fall off my rack a couple of times (e.g. from a heel popping the
hook off), but the Ortlieb's locking system seems much more secure.

I also have a couple of Arkel bags that we don't use for commuting,
and their "cam lock" system is pretty good too.

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - - http://www.alanhoyle.com/

Another luggage question. Julesh UK 5 September 14th 06 06:33 PM
Luggage advice please tony R UK 7 August 12th 05 09:19 PM
Bike Luggage Doctor J. Frink UK 20 June 18th 04 12:18 PM
Luggage Rack Richard Bates UK 7 March 31st 04 09:33 AM