Crank rusting...

Old December 15th 03, 01:01 AM
andrew_carter

Default Crank rusting...

I've been doing a fair bit of crank grabbing lately so there are now
some spots on my right crank with no paint. To my horror I found some
rust there yesterday! Do many of you have rusty cranks? What have you
been doing to stop the rust. Is there something you can keep spraying
on (I'm assuming you'd have to keep applying it) to prevent rust? To
remove the rust that's there now do I just carefully sand it off?

Thanks,
Andrew

--
andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au - Open now!

Old December 15th 03, 02:58 AM
gerblefranklin

I have some rust on my left crank, and also don't know what to do about
it. I imagine it's just surface rust, and totally superficial. I'm
inclined to say don't stress, it's okay, but I really don't know.

--
gerblefranklin

I don't break equipment, I make it cheaper.

Old December 15th 03, 01:02 PM
Sofa

what you should do: (becuase it is most likely just surface rust)

You know what scotch bright pads are? Like the plastic scrapy things
for your teflon pots? get one just for your uni's.

Spray it with WD-40 and scrub your crank. It'll come right off

--
Sofa - You Tu Tu Tuni?

'My neighborhood is so bad that people get shot while they gettin shot'
- Chris Rock, Head of State
Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

Old December 15th 03, 04:04 PM
chirokid

andrew_carter wrote:
*I'v Is there something you can keep spraying on (I'm assuming you'd
have to keep applying it) to prevent rust? To remove the rust that's
there now do I just carefully sand it off?
Andrew *

Buy Stainless Steel, Titanium or Aluminum Cranks, they will not rust.

The cheaper method would be to do as Sofa says, use the scotch bright
pads, but I would recommend steel wool. It will scrub off the surface
rust, then you can repaint it with a good quality spray paint. Also,
keeping the crank polished with a car wax, even on the bare metal areas,
will help to prevent rust.
Rust is ugly, but on a crank, it probably won't get so deep that it
compromises it's integrity. --chirokid--

--
chirokid

"my gyroscope is in my head......." Zod
chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

Old December 15th 03, 08:24 PM
johnfoss

I recommend doing a little bit of grinding on a regular basis. This
should replace most of your rust with shiny, exposed steel!

If you do that to steel, it's going to rust. A rusty crank won't be any
weaker (unless you wait many years), it's just cosmetic damage.

In the states we have a product called Naval Jelly that dissolves rust,
but if you leave steel untreated it will continue to rust.

--
johnfoss - IUF Director

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"My sister wanted to buy the new Eminem CD. I had to say to her, 'Like,
you can't hear it.'" — my nephew Austin Miller, whose sister Alexa is
100% deaf... But she can ride a unicycle!

Old December 15th 03, 10:05 PM
harper

Rust on a unicycle, like blood on a unicyclist, is a sign of machismo.
You're a lege, mate.

--
harper - Old dog, no tricks

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"... is it better to have the seat too high, or too low?" -supertones

Stripped crank arm Steve Techniques 14 May 21st 04 06:45 PM
Longer crankarms Jiyang Chen Racing 129 March 18th 04 12:37 PM
Kooka crank surgery TonyMelton Unicycling 1 October 20th 03 10:35 PM
Pedal came off crank arm while riding Gordon Techniques 16 September 10th 03 12:50 PM
Crank square taper hole too large - options? Phil Holman Techniques 12 July 18th 03 02:10 AM