A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Mountain Biking
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

A lesson from Pete (first aid)



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 18th 03, 05:28 AM
MTB Lover
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default A lesson from Pete (first aid)

I read Pete Fagerlin's web page for the first time tonight. Nice page
BTW. Looking at the carnage update, it made me think what a good idea it
is to bring some basic first aid items onto the trail with me. I can
only assume most of you do this, I use a Blow out Bag under my seat,
plus whatever I can fit in my Camelback. What items have prove most
useful for a space conscious rider?
--
Jerry

remove the nospam and the period to email me.

Ads
  #2  
Old November 18th 03, 06:08 AM
Penny S
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default A lesson from Pete (first aid)

MTB Lover's cat walked across a keyboard and came up with this:
I read Pete Fagerlin's web page for the first time tonight. Nice page
BTW. Looking at the carnage update, it made me think what a good idea
it is to bring some basic first aid items onto the trail with me. I
can only assume most of you do this, I use a Blow out Bag under my
seat, plus whatever I can fit in my Camelback. What items have prove
most useful for a space conscious rider?


Here's what I keep in a ziplock:

gloves, gauzes, tape, betadine/alcohol wipes, neosporin pockets, TP and
feminine necessities.

You can rinse things with your camel back, wipe up the blood with the gauze
and use some morewith tape to cover things until you get home. The uses of
TP etc should be obvious.

Penny


  #3  
Old November 18th 03, 06:24 AM
Paladin
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default A lesson from Pete (first aid)



Penny S wrote:

MTB Lover's cat walked across a keyboard and came up with this:

I read Pete Fagerlin's web page for the first time tonight. Nice page
BTW. Looking at the carnage update, it made me think what a good idea
it is to bring some basic first aid items onto the trail with me. I
can only assume most of you do this, I use a Blow out Bag under my
seat, plus whatever I can fit in my Camelback. What items have prove
most useful for a space conscious rider?


Here's what I keep in a ziplock:

gloves, gauzes, tape, betadine/alcohol wipes, neosporin pockets, TP and
feminine necessities.

You can rinse things with your camel back, wipe up the blood with the gauze
and use some morewith tape to cover things until you get home. The uses of
TP etc should be obvious.

Penny

That's an impressive kit, (since I saw you get to use it one time.)


Here's a summary of what I have. Sock tops, (great to slide over an arm
or leg to hold a bandage on, or to soak up blood, bandaids, antiseptic
stuff, tape, gauze, 4x4's, sprain wrap (forgot the name)tiny first aid
kit, alcohol wipes, ibuprofens, tums, other crap I can't think of now.
Thinking of adding gloves and a surgical type of superglue.

All fits real well in the Mule. And I've used it all a time or two.

Paladin



  #4  
Old November 18th 03, 09:17 AM
Jon Bond
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default A lesson from Pete (first aid)


"Paladin" wrote in message ...


Penny S wrote:

MTB Lover's cat walked across a keyboard and came up with this:

I read Pete Fagerlin's web page for the first time tonight. Nice page
BTW. Looking at the carnage update, it made me think what a good idea
it is to bring some basic first aid items onto the trail with me. I
can only assume most of you do this, I use a Blow out Bag under my
seat, plus whatever I can fit in my Camelback. What items have prove
most useful for a space conscious rider?


Here's what I keep in a ziplock:

gloves, gauzes, tape, betadine/alcohol wipes, neosporin pockets, TP and
feminine necessities.

You can rinse things with your camel back, wipe up the blood with the

gauze
and use some morewith tape to cover things until you get home. The uses

of
TP etc should be obvious.

Penny

That's an impressive kit, (since I saw you get to use it one time.)


Here's a summary of what I have. Sock tops, (great to slide over an arm
or leg to hold a bandage on, or to soak up blood, bandaids, antiseptic
stuff, tape, gauze, 4x4's, sprain wrap (forgot the name)tiny first aid
kit, alcohol wipes, ibuprofens, tums, other crap I can't think of now.
Thinking of adding gloves and a surgical type of superglue.


Gloves good, glue bad. Throw some steri-strips or butterfly bandages in
there instead.

The problem with the glue is that it basically replaces stitches. However,
it needs a very smooth edge to work well, which means a clean cut. It also
means that its semi-permanent, and if there's any dirt or whatnot in there
(which there's bound to be) it probably can't be opened back up to take that
junk out. It's not strong enough to hold a large gouge closed, unless it
isn't spreading much.

Steri strips are a very good alternative. They're basically stretchy strips
of adhesive. You put it on one side, stretch it to the other, and it closes
the cut up really nicely. They're easy to take off, they're surprisingly
strong, they'll keep things closed even when its moving and stretching (like
when you need to bike out...), and they're a lot less likely to end up
making your first aid kit a solid block of glued bandages.

All fits real well in the Mule. And I've used it all a time or two.


Similar to my pack. Lots of gauze (rolls and 4x4 sheets), bandaids, little
triple antibiotic packets, sprain wrap (which self sticks and can compress
wounds like mad), ace bandage (which doesn't, but is more useful in some
situations because it can slide on itself some), medical tape. Also
ibuprofen (not asprin, which can thin the blood!), possibly some vicoprofen
(vicadin+ibuprofen) I've still got left over from wisdom teeth removal for
when things get really bad, epipen (I don't have it, but I should), matches
if you're out in the boonies (or a lighter), and on and on. A knife is
always nice too - if I'm on a long ride, my leatherman comes with me.

Paladin


Jon Bond


  #5  
Old November 18th 03, 06:04 PM
JD
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default A lesson from Pete (first aid)

MTB Lover wrote in message . com...
I read Pete Fagerlin's web page for the first time tonight. Nice page
BTW. Looking at the carnage update, it made me think what a good idea it
is to bring some basic first aid items onto the trail with me. I can
only assume most of you do this, I use a Blow out Bag under my seat,
plus whatever I can fit in my Camelback. What items have prove most
useful for a space conscious rider?


Skill.

JD
  #6  
Old November 18th 03, 06:22 PM
MTB Lover
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default A lesson from Pete (first aid)

JD wrote:
MTB Lover wrote in message . com...

I read Pete Fagerlin's web page for the first time tonight. Nice page
BTW. Looking at the carnage update, it made me think what a good idea it
is to bring some basic first aid items onto the trail with me. I can
only assume most of you do this, I use a Blow out Bag under my seat,
plus whatever I can fit in my Camelback. What items have prove most
useful for a space conscious rider?



Skill.

JD

I would assume no matter what your skill level, you are always pushing
your limits. That is where the first aid kit comes in

--
Jerry

remove the nospam and the period to email me.

  #7  
Old November 18th 03, 06:31 PM
kantspel
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default A lesson from Pete (first aid)

What items have prove most
useful for a space conscious rider?


Skill.

JD


That doesn't help if a buddy (or stranger) bites it. I've only had to
patch myself up once but have helped others plenty of times. I've also
seen enough freak accidents to know that skill isn't always enough.

Same for tools, they get used on other peoples bikes a lot more than mine.

  #8  
Old November 18th 03, 08:23 PM
BB
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default A lesson from Pete (first aid)

On 18 Nov 2003 09:04:48 -0800, JD wrote:
MTB Lover wrote in message . com...
I read Pete Fagerlin's web page for the first time tonight. Nice page
BTW. Looking at the carnage update, it made me think what a good idea it
is to bring some basic first aid items onto the trail with me. I can
only assume most of you do this, I use a Blow out Bag under my seat,
plus whatever I can fit in my Camelback. What items have prove most
useful for a space conscious rider?


Skill.


Or, lacking that, common sense. I've really had very few reasons to patch
myself (or my riding buds) up over the past several years.

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)
"It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars" - Garrison Keillor
  #9  
Old November 18th 03, 09:12 PM
P e t e F a g e r l i n
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default A lesson from Pete (first aid)

On 18 Nov 2003 19:23:47 GMT, BB wrote:

On 18 Nov 2003 09:04:48 -0800, JD wrote:
MTB Lover wrote in message . com...
I read Pete Fagerlin's web page for the first time tonight. Nice page
BTW. Looking at the carnage update, it made me think what a good idea it
is to bring some basic first aid items onto the trail with me. I can
only assume most of you do this, I use a Blow out Bag under my seat,
plus whatever I can fit in my Camelback. What items have prove most
useful for a space conscious rider?


Skill.


Or, lacking that, common sense. I've really had very few reasons to patch
myself (or my riding buds) up over the past several years.


If you think that "common sense" is sufficient enough to save you from
an accident, then we have different definitions of "accident."

pete fagerlin

::Revolutionary! Evolutionary! Yet so retro!
::www.yestubes.com
  #10  
Old November 18th 03, 09:59 PM
Paladin
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default A lesson from Pete (first aid)



kantspel wrote:

What items have prove most


useful for a space conscious rider?



Skill.

JD



That doesn't help if a buddy (or stranger) bites it. I've only had to
patch myself up once but have helped others plenty of times. I've also
seen enough freak accidents to know that skill isn't always enough.

Same for tools, they get used on other peoples bikes a lot more than mine.


Same here. I've come upon biffed, bleeding fools, and patched them up.
I've watched crashes and sped to help. I yelled across a small canyon
once telling this doof to go home and get a helmet. 30 mins later I'd
caught him and he was a mask of blood where he'd cut his chin & forehead
open. Given (and used) those sock-type bandages at least half a dozen
times. Slide them up my calf, or on my arm. Gave out the ibuprofen a
few times. Took the tums when my all-you-can-eat Chinese or recent
beer-n-pizza caught up with a 6-mile climb. Biffed it pretty good once
coming down a rocky creekbed real careful-like when a big beetle slammed
into my ear and tried to hitch the remainder of the ride in there. Now
that's pure joy. A bloody yard sale. yadda, yadda, yadda.

So I'll still carry a lot of crap, and I'll take Bond's advice on
skipping the glue. Just that a lot of boxing injuries are now being
closed up with glue, so I thought it made sense for riding, too.

Paladin

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.