Cleaning my MTB

Old December 23rd 03, 06:33 AM
Ozzii Pete

Default Cleaning my MTB

Hi guys, I want to give my MTB a good clean this weekend, my question is,
can I just buy some cheap Degreaser and spray it everywhere, then hose it
of, and just relube everything, or will this do damage, and I should get
some proper stuff.
Any tips ?
Thanks again

Old December 23rd 03, 07:18 AM
Tim Jones

"Ozzii Pete" wrote in message
Hi guys, I want to give my MTB a good clean this weekend, my question is,
can I just buy some cheap Degreaser and spray it everywhere, then hose it
of, and just relube everything, or will this do damage, and I should get
some proper stuff.
Any tips ?

I use engine degreaser on my MTB, and it works well.

You just need to be very careful that it does not get into the semisealed
parts, otherwise it can cause you problems.

Make sure you don't get any in the bottom bracket, pedals or hubs.

Enjoy!

Tim

Old December 23rd 03, 09:58 PM
Peter Cremasco

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 15:33:36 +1000, "Ozzii Pete" wrote:

Hi guys, I want to give my MTB a good clean this weekend, my question is,
can I just buy some cheap Degreaser and spray it everywhere, then hose it
of, and just relube everything, or will this do damage, and I should get
some proper stuff.
Any tips ?

My tip would be to use a bucket of hot water and detergent, and a parts
cleaning brush, and do your cleaning with that.

Degreaser will impact on the rubber components of your bike - tyres,
seals, brake pads.

Once you've cleaned it with the hot water and detergent (and a bit of
elbow grease) allow it to dry properly and then touch up moving parts
and rubber bits with Inox (good corrosion inhibitor, water displacer,
and general protectant.

---
Cheers

PeterC

[Rushing headlong: out of control - and there ain't no stopping]
[and there's nothing you can do about it at all]
Old December 24th 03, 04:03 AM
AndyŠ

wrote:

Hi guys, I want to give my MTB a good clean this weekend, my question is,
can I just buy some cheap Degreaser and spray it everywhere, then hose it

Avoid doing this on the lawn......the degreaser will kill it
Cheers Andy

Old December 29th 03, 09:25 AM
Jiz

My bike shop reckons that degreaser is bad news on a bicycle full stop - any
gets into the hubs, bb, etc and your looking at a not so pleasant ride
anymore.

Soap and water tends to work fine for me

Old January 1st 04, 02:05 PM
Andrew Swan

wrote:

Hi guys, I want to give my MTB a good clean this weekend, my question is,
can I just buy some cheap Degreaser and spray it everywhere, then hose it

Avoid doing this on the lawn......the degreaser will kill it
Cheers Andy

I use some "Bug Off" (windscreen washer bottle stuff) diluted with
water, cleans the bike up nicely. Stubborn grease etc comes off if you
use it undiluted on a rag.

Would this wreck any bearings it got into?

&roo

Old January 2nd 04, 03:34 AM
Jose Rizal

Andrew Swan:

I use some "Bug Off" (windscreen washer bottle stuff) diluted with
water, cleans the bike up nicely. Stubborn grease etc comes off if you
use it undiluted on a rag.

Would this wreck any bearings it got into?

Pretty much anything that isn't grease will not be good to your
bearings, plain water included.