Pavement cyclists put everyone at risk and damage property

Old May 19th 12, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Default Pavement cyclists put everyone at risk and damage property

Rat-running cyclists are endangering stall traders by using a pedestrianised
area as a short-cut, it has been claimed.

Mitcham residents and traders have become increasingly frustrated with
people on bikes using Mitcham town centre in order to avoid the busy one-way
traffic on Holborn Way.

Christine Higgs, 50, of Streatham Road, said: "They [cyclists] just come
screeching down the pavement on their bikes and try to swerve round you.

"They once hit my son, who is six, and I was really angry because they hurt
him but they didn't apologise. It is a big problem."

Stall trader Alan Hunt, 69, said: "In the morning when you are trying to set
up it is a nightmare because they [cyclists] just cut straight through at
high speed on their way to work.

"I have had my stall damaged by cyclists speeding in the past and it is
dangerous for my customers."

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/n..._run_cyclists/

Old May 19th 12, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Lieutenant Scott

On Sat, 19 May 2012 09:45:49 +0100, Mrcheerful wrote:

[...]

Maybe they should stop littering our pavements with stalls and get a proper shop.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

When a clock is hungry, it goes back four seconds.
Old May 19th 12, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

Default Three-day cycling festival announced for Nottingham this July

QUOTE:

Nottingham will this summer host a three-day cycling festival, E.ON Cycle
Live Nottingham, that will begin with a series of circuit races on the
evening of Friday 13 July, concluding the following Sunday with the E.ON
Great Notts Bike Ride. In between organisers promise "a whole range of
cycling based activities with something that will appeal to everyone." The
event was formally launched on Thursday by top trials rider, Danny Butler.

The city's Victoria Embankment will be the base for the event, which gets
under way with the E.ON Cycle Live Nottingham Grand Prix on the Friday
evening, with participants in the closed circuit races spanning
schoolchildren to elite riders.

On Saturday, the East Midlands city will host the E.ON Cycle Live Nottingham
Festival of Cycling, which includes a series of cycling themed events as
well as live music and entertainment.

The final event of the weekend will be the E.ON Great Notts Bike Ride on
Sunday 15 July, which starts and finishes at Victoria Embankment and
includes three route options - Sportive, which is around 100 miles,
Challenge, of approximately 48 miles, and the 19-mile Community ride. Loan
bikes will be available for participants who need them.

The same day will also see a three-mile E.ON Nottingham City Ride take place
on closed roads in the south of the city, supported by Decade of Better
Health, a joint initiative of NHS Nottingham City and Nottingham City
Council. The event is free, with the aim of encouraging participation from
people living in deprived parts of the city.

Chris Simon of Perfect Motion Sports Marketing, which is organising the
weekend, said: "We want to get the people of Nottingham, Nottinghamshire,
the East Midlands and even further afield excited by this brand new event,
which puts the county on the map as a cycling hot spot.

"The weekend will have something for everyone, from the excitement of
circuit races on the Friday through a whole host of weird and wonderful
cycling displays and activities on the Saturday.

"We then finish with the new routes at the E.ON Great Notts Bike Ride on the
Sunday. From the novice cyclist and families looking for a great day out,
right through to elite riders, we hope that everyone will join us in July to
celebrate all things cycling".

Councillor Dave Trimble, Nottingham City Council's Portfolio holder for
Leisure, Culture and Tourism, commented: "We are proud and delighted that
E.ON have chosen Nottingham to launch what will be a great weekend of
cycling, putting top quality races alongside events for novice cyclists so
that there is something for everyone.

"Expanding the ever-popular Great Notts Bike Ride in this way gives a
variety of options for people of all abilities to get on a bike, get
involved, have some fun and get in some healthy exercise. It could be the
catalyst that persuades the weekend's cyclists to adopt cycling as their
transport of choice."

Germany-based energy supplier E.ON is one of Nottingham's largest employers,
with around 6,000 employees in and around the city, where it is currently
building a new office complex. Its backing of the cycling festival is the
first fruits of a wider sponsorship programme aimed at reinforcing links
with the local community.

Jeremy Davies, E.ON's Marketing Director , said: "We want to do more than
simply supply people with the power they need to run their lives and I'm
delighted we're able to do that here in Nottingham with E.ON Cycle Live
Nottingham, offering a greater experience to our customers in a way that's
relevant and convenient to them.

"We're all about helping people to become energy fit - reducing their energy
use, their bills and their effect on the planet - and E.ON Cycle Live
Nottingham is a great way for people to get fit themselves and also
hopefully learn something about energy efficiency along the way.

"Over the coming months we'll be offering free entry, discount tickets and
priority areas for our customers, along with the opportunity to learn more
about our sustainable projects in Nottingham and how we're helping their
customers to get energy fit."

Further information on E.ON Cycle Live Nottingham can be found on the
event's
website.
http://road.cc/content/news/58619-th...ottingham-july

--
Simon Mason

Old May 20th 12, 07:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On May 19, 7:33*pm, "Simon Mason"
wrote:
[...]

My brother lives in Nottingham and has e-mailed me to say that he is
going to attend and thanked me for the heads up.

--
Simon Mason
Old May 20th 12, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

Old May 20th 12, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Simon Mason" wrote in message

Councillor Dave Trimble, Nottingham City Council's Portfolio holder for
Leisure, Culture and Tourism, commented: "We are proud and delighted that
E.ON have chosen Nottingham to launch what will be a great weekend of
cycling, putting top quality races alongside events for novice cyclists
so
that there is something for everyone.

My brother lives in Nottingham and has e-mailed me to say that he is
going to attend and thanked me for the heads up.

I am going to drive the 80 miles south, join him and make a day of it.
I may make a film like I did in London recently.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/bigride.wmv

--
Simon Mason

Old May 21st 12, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Sun, 20 May 2012 20:57:51 +0100, "Simon Mason"
wrote:

"Simon Mason" wrote in message

Councillor Dave Trimble, Nottingham City Council's Portfolio holder for
Leisure, Culture and Tourism, commented: "We are proud and delighted that
E.ON have chosen Nottingham to launch what will be a great weekend of
cycling, putting top quality races alongside events for novice cyclists
so
that there is something for everyone.

My brother lives in Nottingham and has e-mailed me to say that he is
going to attend and thanked me for the heads up.

I am going to drive the 80 miles south, join him and make a day of it.
I may make a film like I did in London recently.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/bigride.wmv

Wonderful.

Are you going to "do the ride" this time - ie go on the train and stand on the
pavement in the ****ing rain with the Joe90 glasses on watching the cyclists go
by?

Can't wait.

(Is the brother affected by the in-breeding as well? - ie not a full shilling?)

--
Mason is in denial - he is an alcoholic.
He claims that he drinks ten to twelve pints
Old May 21st 12, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

Default Leicester Bike Park reopens after £200,000 refurbishment

QUOTE:
A secure cycle parking facility in the centre of Leicester has been
reopened under new management after a year-long refurbishment
programme. The Bike Park, which is located beneath Leicester Town
Hall, incorporates showers, lockers and a bike shop as well as parking
spaces for 110 bikes.

The premises were refurbished at a cost of £200,000 jointly funded by
the Department for Transport and Leicester City Council, which has
awarded the lease to operate the facility to local bike shop, Future
Cycles, whose directors also helped get the city’s first bike
recycling scheme under way and provide cycle maintenance courses,
among other things. They also plan to initiate a cycle hire scheme
from the Bike Park.

Tim Hudson, Future Cycles director, commented: “We are extremely proud
to be given the opportunity to manage Leicester’s Bike Park and we are
very excited about its future.

“The refurbishment has helped create a fantastic facility and we are
looking forward to welcoming even more people as they realise that
bikes can be a cheap, healthy and fun way of getting into the city
centre.”

Councillor Rory Palmer, Deputy City Mayor responsible for transport
and climate change, added: “Leicester has seen the number of people
cycling more than double in the last five years.

“We want to keep that growth going and a fully refurbished bike park,
with Future Cycles at the helm, will help us achieve that goal.

“This is just one part of a wide range of activities and measures we
have planned to encourage more people to choose sustainable
transport.”

Smart card ticketing will be introduced at the bike park, which the
council hopes will act as a central hub for everything bike-related in
the East Midlands city.

The facility is open Monday to Friday from 8am to 6.30pm, and on
Saturdays from 8.30am to 6pm. Parking costs 50p for a hour or £1 for a
day, with discounted weekly, monthly and annual passes also available.

Further information can be obtained on the council’s website or by
calling the Bike Park on 0116 299 1234.

http://road.cc/content/news/58648-le...-refurbishment

--
Simon Mason