Shimano (and others) OEM component stream...

Old July 19th 03, 09:45 PM
Chalo

Default Shimano (and others) OEM component stream...

Precious Pup wrote:

Chalo wrote:

Any enthusiast with enough wits about him to spec his own machine can
and should avoid Shimano.

Who gives a **** about avoiding or favoring? I care about what is in my interests, not the LBS, KMART, Ace
Hardware, Shimano, Campy, SunRace, or whomever else.

I could not care less if my components say "campy, shimano, SunRace, falcon,..... or whatever" as long as they
work and fit within my budget.

Screw any bizarre sense of loyalty.

If you buy from a manufacturer whose trade practices eradicate variety
in the market, you act to reduce your own range of choices. Buying
Shimano works for you if you only ever want Shimano parts. But if
you like having other options to choose from, buying Shimano works
against the existence of those options, by means known to encompass
both "fair" and "unfair" trade practices.

The ability to spec one's own bike, rather than simply having Shimano
Inc. decide what parts you want and in what combinations, depends on
maintaining some other options. The choices available have
deteriorated enough lately that it's irresponsible to give Shimano any
money if you value having other products to choose from.

To adopt a wider focus:

Pup, you have too much faith in the capitalist so-called "free
market". It is good at some things, like maximizing consumption, but
not so good at others, like conserving finite resources. It rewards
skills combined with greed, but it punishes those who are not greedy,
no matter how virtuous they may be. It's terrific at pandering to the
lowest common denominator, but it sucks at serving uncommon needs.

You, Pup, may not care whether there is variety in the marketplace,
clean water in the river, and room for folks without ambitions to have
a comfortable living. But many people do. And unbridled capitalist
practice acts to eradicate all these things.

Chalo Colina
Old July 21st 03, 06:01 PM
Precious Pup

DiabloScott wrote:

(Note that Performance owns Nashbar and Supergo - could be some serious
market manipulation there).

Their prices are distinctly lower than LBSs. So I can take that sort of "manipulation" easily.

If the practices are clearly anti-competetive, then competiting retail outlets should be able to file a class
action suit. I wonder why they haven't, but I hope they do if the complaint is true. After all, I like more
competition because it tends to push the price down, other things equal.
Old July 23rd 03, 01:29 AM
Chalo

Precious Pup wrote:

I don't delude myself into thinking my choices will be noticable to
companies selling huge quantities.

And the watershed won't really be harmed if you dump just your own
used motor oil, right?

Collective trends are made one individual at a time. Where you spend
your dollars is more influential than where you spend your vote.

Chalo Colina

Old July 24th 03, 01:43 AM
Precious Pup

Chalo wrote:

Precious Pup wrote:

I don't delude myself into thinking my choices will be noticable to
companies selling huge quantities.

And the watershed won't really be harmed if you dump just your own
used motor oil, right?

Please give me a break.

Collective trends are made one individual at a time. Where you spend
your dollars is more influential than where you spend your vote.

Okay. I spend on me and I vote for me; it is the only ethical and sensible thing to do. If the purchase
happens to be Shimano, then so be it. I won't shed one tear.