Cranks: A step up from TruVativ's Stylo?

Old August 21st 04, 08:27 PM
(Pete Cresswell)

Default Cranks: A step up from TruVativ's Stylo?

Per a thread I just initiated in ...Tech, I may or may not have toasted my
drive-side crank.

I'm also getting a "tick" sound from the other crank at about 2 o-clock under
load. Last time something like this started happening the crank broke roughly
in half....

In the event that I fry the drive side trying to get around a broken
self-extractor and/or I can't make this tick go away, it's new crankset time...

Anybody care to venture a step up from TruVative's Stylo (i.e. maybe a little
lighter/stronger/more durable) that will fit the same ISIS splined BB
interface?.

This is nothing against what I've got....no complaints about the TruVativ....but
I might want to try something different just on GPs.
--
PeteCresswell
Old August 21st 04, 08:30 PM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
that will fit the same ISIS splined BB
interface?.

Upon reflection.... seems like there SB something that fits that interface, but
with a open-ring/pinch-bolt strategy...that would get around the need for a
crank extractor. Any such thing in a quality product?
--
PeteCresswell
Old August 21st 04, 09:13 PM
Scott

"(Pete Cresswell)" wrote in message
RE/
that will fit the same ISIS splined BB
interface?.

Upon reflection.... seems like there SB something that fits that

interface, but
with a open-ring/pinch-bolt strategy...that would get around the need for

crank extractor. Any such thing in a quality product?
--
PeteCresswell

Actually I had the Stylo cranks on an i-Drive and it had those lockrings so
I didn't need a crank pulling tool. They were great cranks for XC.

Old August 21st 04, 09:56 PM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
Actually I had the Stylo cranks on an i-Drive and it had those lockrings so
I didn't need a crank pulling tool. They were great cranks for XC.

I thought the lockrings were a great idea until one burst open while trying to
remove a crank. Now, I'm not so sure...
--
PeteCresswell
Old August 23rd 04, 06:57 PM
PeteCresswell

I thought the lockrings were a great idea until one burst open while trying to
remove a crank. Now, I'm not so sure...

I think I found the root cause. Seems that, although the splined
shaft interface is standardized, the crank-attachment bolts/extractor
rings are not.

I managed to wind up with bolts from maker "A" and extractor rings
from maker "B". About 1-2mm diff....enough to blow out the
extractor ring when the going gets rough.....

Lesson learned: purchase/install crank bolts & extractor rings as a
system.
Old August 24th 04, 04:42 AM
Gman

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 20:56:14 GMT, (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
RE/
Actually I had the Stylo cranks on an i-Drive and it had those lockrings so
I didn't need a crank pulling tool. They were great cranks for XC.

I thought the lockrings were a great idea until one burst open while trying to
remove a crank. Now, I'm not so sure...

Well I was looking at the Race Face LP Turbines until the
Freak broke 3 of them. He said he was gonna try the White
Industries Eno next. I'm going to let him be the beta
tester. :-)

Need crank help. Sigurd Unicycling 30 July 24th 04 05:42 PM
When do you change your cranks? joe Unicycling 7 May 10th 04 08:12 PM
Stockpiling 110mm/74mm chainrings and cranks Rocketman General 15 November 13th 03 07:32 PM
Stockpiling 110mm/74mm chainrings and cranks Rocketman Techniques 16 November 13th 03 07:32 PM
FA: Just listed! Truvative Stylo Team cranks. Greg Achtem Marketplace 0 July 9th 03 11:34 PM