Clipless pedals and shoes

Old April 20th 04, 11:54 PM
paul

Default Clipless pedals and shoes

So six weeks from now I hope to have my new toy. It has been sugested
that clipless is the way to go, and being of the dark side clippless is
almost certainly required. I want to use my new toy for all sorts of
travel, which will include wandering around on route and I dont want to
have to carry an aditional pair of shoes. Recessed cleats seem to be the
answer, but which sort? SPuD u like, look, speedplay? And a more
important factor is my incredibly fat feet, Shimano just won't fit.

Can you suggest shoes for fat feet tat will take a variety of cleats,
and also which cleats I should shortlist.

TiA
--
..paul

If at first you don't succeed...
Skydiving is probably not the sport for you.
Old April 21st 04, 09:05 AM
Simon Brooke

in message , paul
') wrote:

So six weeks from now I hope to have my new toy. It has been sugested
that clipless is the way to go, and being of the dark side clippless
is almost certainly required. I want to use my new toy for all sorts
of travel, which will include wandering around on route and I dont
want to have to carry an aditional pair of shoes. Recessed cleats seem
to be the answer, but which sort? SPuD u like, look, speedplay? And a
more important factor is my incredibly fat feet, Shimano just won't
fit.

I too have both very broad feet and very high arches. I find my Sidi
winter MTB boots extremely comfortable. They take SPDs fine; I haven't
tried other types of cleat.

A message from our sponsor: This site is now in free fall

Old April 21st 04, 09:20 AM
Peter Clinch

paul wrote:
So six weeks from now I hope to have my new toy. It has been sugested
that clipless is the way to go, and being of the dark side clippless is
almost certainly required. I want to use my new toy for all sorts of
travel, which will include wandering around on route and I dont want to
have to carry an aditional pair of shoes. Recessed cleats seem to be the
answer, but which sort? SPuD u like, look, speedplay? And a more
important factor is my incredibly fat feet, Shimano just won't fit.

Can you suggest shoes for fat feet tat will take a variety of cleats,
and also which cleats I should shortlist.

If you're looking at recessed cleats then pretty much every system going
(at least that I've ever come across) will fit any shoe that's SPuD
compatible, it's effectively a standard fitting.
I can't do Shimano shoes either, finding them too narrow. Personally I
use Specialized Rockhopper shoes. They've revamped them a couple of
times since I got mine, but various folk here over time who've said they
can't use Shimano seem to have got on okay with the various models.
Cannondales are a wider shoe too.
I actually do use Shimano sandals: not having any upper to speak of the
narrowness is effectively a non-issue, and they're brilliant in nice
weather when most folks' feet are sweating buckets in socks and shoes.
Great as a second pair of cycling footwear.

As to the pedals themselves... I use and like Time ATACs. They're a
cleaner design than SPuDs, have no tension adjusters to faff about with
and work better when your cleats are worn IME. Also easier to clean and
have proper lateral float as well as rotational (which you can set at
either 15 or 20 degrees for the release point, which I don't think SPuDs
will let you do). Because you can clip in anywhere along the sprung
bars rather than at a single point I think they're easier to engage as
well. My tandeming pals used to use SPuDs and now use ATACs and find
them better.
Wouldn't mind a bash at Eggbeaters, but I have three sets of ATACs
('bent, 8 Freight and MTB) and don't want to replace all 3, but new sets
of shoes or bugger about swapping cleats if I use a different bike.
Also rather the case that the ATACs aren't exactly broken, so I don't
feel any need to fix them.

(Roos is looking at a similar weight for her New Toy as well, though she
already has the pedals for it: some very smart black ATAC Aliums.)

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

Old April 21st 04, 10:42 AM
Dominic Sansom

Paul wrote:
Can you suggest shoes for fat feet tat will take a variety of cleats,
and also which cleats I should shortlist.
TiA
--
.paul

If "fat" feet = wide feet have a look at Sidi "Mega" range (Genius fo
Road or Dominator for MTB)

I'm EEEE and wear Nike Ventoux Wide http://store.trekbikes.com/shopping
/product_detail.jsp?product_id=3661&category_id=620 Half the price o
the Sidi Shoes

All take SPD and Look cleats (I think

-

Old April 21st 04, 11:28 AM
David Brown :o\)

I use Rockhoppers too, wideish and comfy but they are quite high on the
ankle so take a little breaking in.

Old April 21st 04, 11:28 AM
David Brown :o\)

Old April 21st 04, 12:33 PM
Roos Eisma

Peter Clinch writes:

(Roos is looking at a similar weight for her New Toy as well, though she
already has the pedals for it: some very smart black ATAC Aliums.)

Took me a while to work out what this was about as Paul didn't mention any
weight, but you mean "wait" of course. And yes, it is *too* long

Roos