fenders?

Old July 15th 08, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
phil

Default fenders?

I've seen a number of references of late to installing fenders on my
bike. I have an old Panasonic touring warhorse that takes me
everywhere. I frequently box it for air shopping.

Questions:

Would the fenders have to be removed?
If so, how difficult would that be for someone mechanically-
challenged?
Would they interfere with my front or rear panniers?
Would they add considerable weight to the bicycle?
Those using them - how much to they add to comfort when riding in the
rain for long periods?
Old July 15th 08, 09:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Tim McNamara

In article
,
phil wrote:

I've seen a number of references of late to installing fenders on my
bike. I have an old Panasonic touring warhorse that takes me
everywhere. I frequently box it for air shopping.

Questions:

Would the fenders have to be removed?

Almost certainly yes.

If so, how difficult would that be for someone mechanically-
challenged?

Mine (SKS P35 Road) pop off my bike and back on in about five minutes.
I use a Sheldon Nut from QBP for the front brake bolt for the mounting
tab, and zip ties for the rear fender for the brake bridge and the
chainstay bridge. Once the fenders are mounted for first time, it's
cake to do.

Would they interfere with my front or rear panniers?

Nope.

Would they add considerable weight to the bicycle?

Under a pound.

Those using them - how much to they add to comfort when riding in the
rain for long periods?

Massively. I spent an 8 hours of a 10 hour ride with a high of 46F in
the rain and said hosannas to my fenders constantly. The ride was
awful, but it was way less awful than it was for the folks with no
fenders. It was also much nicer for anyone who happened to be following
me.
Old July 16th 08, 12:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
William Asher

Tim McNamara wrote:

In article
,
phil wrote:

snip

Those using them - how much to they add to comfort when riding in the
rain for long periods?

Massively. I spent an 8 hours of a 10 hour ride with a high of 46F in
the rain and said hosannas to my fenders constantly. The ride was
awful, but it was way less awful than it was for the folks with no
fenders. It was also much nicer for anyone who happened to be following
me.

I will second that, although you don't have to ride for hours, even a 5-
minute ride in the rain makes fenders worth it. Of course, once you slap
them on your ride, you can forget about picking up chicks down at the
Quickee Mart. For some reason, nothing says "dork" quite like fenders.

--
Bill Asher
Old July 16th 08, 12:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Steve L Ferris

phil ) writes:
I've seen a number of references of late to installing fenders on my
bike. I have an old Panasonic touring warhorse that takes me
everywhere. I frequently box it for air shopping.

Questions:

Would the fenders have to be removed?
If so, how difficult would that be for someone mechanically-
challenged?
Would they interfere with my front or rear panniers?
Would they add considerable weight to the bicycle?
Those using them - how much to they add to comfort when riding in the
rain for long periods?

How much extra wind resistance do you have with fenders?

I use them on my mountain bike in the spring,, and I think I'm quicker when I
take them off.

steve
Old July 18th 08, 12:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Jack McCue

phil wrote:
I've seen a number of references of late to installing fenders on my
bike. I have an old Panasonic touring warhorse that takes me
everywhere. I frequently box it for air shopping.

Questions:

Would the fenders have to be removed?

Do not know, depends on the box I guess.

If so, how difficult would that be for someone mechanically-
challenged?

Cannot say, given enough time I think anyone can do it.
See if you can look at a bicycle with them installed
to see how easy it looks to you.

Would they interfere with my front or rear panniers?

I have full fenders on my bicycle, use front and rear
panniers. No issues.

Would they add considerable weight to the bicycle?

If you are using panniers, the weight of just
the fenders should not be an issue Seriously,
the additional weight does not bother me nor is it
noticable to me.

Those using them - how much to they add to comfort when riding in the
rain for long periods?

Depends In heavy pouring rain nothing helps.
Otherwise I think they are well worth it. See Sheldon's
Article in Fenders:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fenders.html

Regards
Jack

--
To announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is

why are there no fenders? Jon Bendtsen Recumbent Biking 3 May 4th 08 06:40 PM
What fenders will fit? Buck General 9 February 22nd 06 12:20 PM
Someone had been looking for MTB fenders... Dave Mountain Biking 0 December 26th 05 01:04 AM
Fenders Where to buy Isuzu Marketplace 0 January 16th 05 01:37 PM
Fenders - V-REX Joe Keenan Recumbent Biking 1 October 29th 03 09:11 PM