Bike Bags Shipping

Old August 3rd 08, 09:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
ken

Default Bike Bags Shipping

I am planning a ride from Bordeaux (France) to Porto (Portugal).
We have flexible and foldable bike bags that we would use for the
flights at each end of the trip, but I need a way of shipping the bags
from Bordeaux to Porto as we would rather not carry them.
I guess that Fedex or DHL could do the job but so far as I can work
out they are not in these cities.
Any suggestions?
Old August 4th 08, 08:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Garry Lee

Don't use bags.

I've been easily on 100 flights with my bikes and I've not had a bike
broken. A bike which looks like a bike is by and large treated better
than one in a bag or a box. In those cases elephants will be put on
top of them.
Old August 4th 08, 03:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
RicodJour

On Aug 4, 3:35*am, Garry Lee wrote:
Don't use bags.

I've been easily on 100 flights with my bikes and I've not had a bike
broken. A bike which looks like a bike is by and large treated better
than one in a bag or a box. In those cases elephants will be put on
top of them.

It sounds like you're saying not to use a bike or box at all. What
airlines do you fly that don't require the bike to be packaged for
shipping?

Old August 5th 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Tim McNamara

In article
,
RicodJour wrote:

On Aug 4, 3:35*am, Garry Lee wrote:
Don't use bags.

I've been easily on 100 flights with my bikes and I've not had a
bike broken. A bike which looks like a bike is by and large treated
better than one in a bag or a box. In those cases elephants will be
put on top of them.

It sounds like you're saying not to use a bike or box at all. What
airlines do you fly that don't require the bike to be packaged for
shipping?

rec.bicycles.* netizen Jobst Brandt has traveled from the US to Europe
for tours in the Alps most years since something like 1959 and would
minimize the bike's size (take the wheels off, take the crank off, turn
the fork around, secure everything with toe straps), wrap it in clear
plastic, and hand it to the baggage check people. His theory was much
like Garry's and to my understanding never had a bike damaged in transit.