High ratio climbing gears

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 20th 19, 06:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default High ratio climbing gears

Well, due to continuous nagging from my brother and GCN making a lot of claims and how much trouble I had at the Grizzly Peak Century I decided to go from my 29 large cog to a 32.

Well, Campy doesn't make an 11-32 or anything else with a 32 for that matter. These are common on Shimano and SR 10 speed bikes.

I finally discovered that Interlock makes a 10 speed 11-32 and went to several shops who couldn't get that gear.

Finally I went to Robinson's Wheel Works only 2 miles from my home. Chris really is a knowledgeable mechanic and when I said what I wanted he said to NOT buy Interloc anything because they don't shift properly and wear out rapidly.

He also said that the Campy rear derailleur wouldn't shift anything larger than a 29. I told him that I was getting a mid-length rear derailleur and he said that it still wouldn't shift a gear lower than 29.

Then it occurred to me that I had seen that problem on a Campy triple I had built. If you get the chain length correct the upper arms doesn't have enough motion to lift out of the way of anything larger than a 28. If you pull a link out it CAN shift a 29.

So I will have to get a conversion set of 11 speed Campy to go to a gear set that large and that is now so expensive that I will have to weight a long time.

Can Too High Gears be Lowered on SRAM Dualdrive? Artemisia General 21 May 13th 08 03:19 PM
Can Too High Gears be Lowered on SRAM Dualdrive? Artemisia UK 21 May 13th 08 03:19 PM
Climbing gears graham Techniques 53 October 19th 07 10:09 PM
How important is gear ratio to climbing? Preston Crawford General 10 July 28th 04 05:25 AM
Gears gears gear..what to choose? bstephens Techniques 8 February 18th 04 04:06 PM