Ti-prep minus the Ti

Old August 15th 06, 02:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pg

Default Ti-prep minus the Ti

Any problem with Ti-prep used on steel bolts in Alum. stem? Local shop
initially told me bolts are Ti (FSA OS-150 stem), but later research
reveals this model comes with Cromoly bolts.
Thanks

Old August 15th 06, 08:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Llatikcuf

pg wrote:
Any problem with Ti-prep used on steel bolts in Alum. stem? Local shop
initially told me bolts are Ti (FSA OS-150 stem), but later research
reveals this model comes with Cromoly bolts.
Thanks

Not a problem, just not needed. Use grease next time you service, but I
would just leave it for now.

-nate

Old August 15th 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Llatikcuf wrote:
pg wrote:
Any problem with Ti-prep used on steel bolts in Alum. stem? Local shop
initially told me bolts are Ti (FSA OS-150 stem), but later research
reveals this model comes with Cromoly bolts.
Thanks

Not a problem, just not needed. Use grease next time you service, but I
would just leave it for now.

-nate

Grease alone is just fine but..

Don't know the parts in question but I would keep using the ti-prep..
well actually I would use copper grease it's cheaper. Just like the
aluminum seat post in a steel frame galvanic corrosion can be a nasty
issue, ti-prep can only help.

Old August 16th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Llatikcuf

pg wrote:
But does the Ti-prep reduce friction, resulting in tighter bolting, a
la greased bolts? what about a combo of Ti-prep and grease?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but...

I believe Ti-prep is grease with bits of copper and other metals
suspended in it. It just puts different metal(s) between the bolt and
threads so they don't seize.

-nate

Old August 16th 06, 01:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Llatikcuf wrote:
pg wrote:
But does the Ti-prep reduce friction, resulting in tighter bolting, a
la greased bolts? what about a combo of Ti-prep and grease?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but...

I believe Ti-prep is grease with bits of copper and other metals
suspended in it. It just puts different metal(s) between the bolt and
threads so they don't seize.

-nate

Correct and in a much simplified manner the copper and other metals
(possibly Phos/ zinc/mag..don't know exactly what is in ti-prep but
other than copper those are the more common) act as a sacrificial anode
preventing electron transfer between the two dissimilar metals. This
(along with the grease binder) makes threading easier and more reliable
as well as protecting the parts from corrosion.

Copper grease is my favorite underrated product, a small tub from the
auto parts place of your choice is cheap and it should go anywhere two
different metals are threaded or press fit together...