Nearly minus my son :(

Old November 3rd 06, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
wafflycat

Default Nearly minus my son :(

Son arrived home from college not long ago. He is quite shaken. He just
missed being splatted by a car speeding through the village.

He had lights on bike (lit and multitudinous) and was wearing reflective
gilet with three wide nads of reflective around the body and reflective
stripes over the shoulder. The Unfit Family cycle in hours of darkness using
the 'lit up like a Christmas tree/low-flying UFO' principle.

The son was in the process of doing the final RH turn into the private lane
we live on. He looked behind him - nothing coming - signals right - moves to
centre of road (but still LH of central line) - hears engine roaring up from
behind swiftly followed by squeal of brakes as tw@t speeds through village
and overtakes the cyclist who is signalling to make a RH turn...

Thankfully son had his wits about him and *didn't* attempt the RH turn... if
he had, I'd likely be minus a son by now.

Sad to say in the heat of the moment, son didn't get the twunts registration
number.

On the plus side, I'm just exceedingly grateful son is alive, physically
unhurt, just scared witless for a while.

He has had a huge hug and shall be getting more.

--

~~

SUPPORT THE CYCLISTS DEFENCE FUND
http://www.cyclistsdefencefund.org.uk/

~~
to send reply email - you may need to remove dependence
on fame & fortune from organisation
to get correct email address
~Noodliness is Good~

Old November 3rd 06, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brendan Halpin

"wafflycat" writes:

The son was in the process of doing the final RH turn into the
private lane we live on. He looked behind him - nothing coming -
signals right - moves to centre of road (but still LH of central
line) - hears engine roaring up from behind swiftly followed by
squeal of brakes as tw@t speeds through village and overtakes the
cyclist who is signalling to make a RH turn...

Sorry to hear that. I have not-so-fond memories of a cabbie in
Wivenhoe that did that to me.

To tie in with another thread, you just have to be grateful the
moton wasn't looking at his speedometer, or otherwise he would have
been destined to hit your son (if at a legal speed) ...

Brendan
--
Brendan Halpin, Department of Sociology, University of Limerick, Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-338562; Room F2-025 x 3147
Old November 3rd 06, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 17:08:47 -0000 someone who may be "wafflycat"
wrote this:-

Thankfully son had his wits about him and *didn't* attempt the RH turn... if
he had, I'd likely be minus a son by now.

And he would undoubtedly have been blamed (by the police and/or
courts) for doing something as "unusual" as turning right. Cyclists
have been blamed for turning right before.

Sad to say in the heat of the moment, son didn't get the twunts registration
number.

Hopefully he won't have another chance to remember to do this on
another occasion.

On the plus side, I'm just exceedingly grateful son is alive, physically
unhurt, just scared witless for a while.

Glad to hear he is alright.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old November 3rd 06, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
wafflycat

"co10" wrote in message

"wafflycat" wrote in message
He has had a huge hug and shall be getting more.

I had a near miss yesterday, actually my fault, but what the hell. I live
alone so didn't get a hug. Can you save me one......?

Glad he's OK though.

Bill

Hugs a-plenty!
{{{{{{{{{{ Bill }}}}}}}}}}
Ten virtual ones for you ;-)

Old November 3rd 06, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
burt

"Brendan Halpin" wrote in message
"wafflycat" writes:

The son was in the process of doing the final RH turn into the
private lane we live on. He looked behind him - nothing coming -
signals right - moves to centre of road (but still LH of central
line) - hears engine roaring up from behind swiftly followed by
squeal of brakes as tw@t speeds through village and overtakes the
cyclist who is signalling to make a RH turn...

Sorry to hear that. I have not-so-fond memories of a cabbie in
Wivenhoe that did that to me.

To tie in with another thread, you just have to be grateful the
moton wasn't looking at his speedometer, or otherwise he would have
been destined to hit your son (if at a legal speed) ...

Brendan

Dear Brendan, comprehension not good? Which bit of "a car speeding
through....." do you not understand? If the t**t hadn't been speeding i.e.
looking at his speedo occasionally, the situation would not have occurred.

Old November 3rd 06, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc Brett

On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 17:52:29 +0000, Brendan Halpin wrote:

To tie in with another thread, you just have to be grateful the
moton wasn't looking at his speedometer,

....or tuning his radio, or dialing his phone, or twiddling his satnav, or
rummaging in the glove box for bubble gum, or trying to hush the children in the
back seat, or chatting to his pregnant wife (like the tw*nt who rear-ended me
yonks ago), Why obsess with speedometers, which are not particularly
distracting (unless near a malfunctioning type 93 radar)?

Old November 4th 06, 01:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

wafflycat wrote:
[...]

Similar happened to me quite a few years ago. I also decided discretion
was better part. I was just in process of turning right, well lit, on
shopping street, when speeding car forced way through on my right.
Woman driver, as it happened. I had young son on childseat on back.
Difficult to credit.

Old November 4th 06, 01:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Helen Deborah Vecht

"wafflycat" typed

On the plus side, I'm just exceedingly grateful son is alive, physically
unhurt, just scared witless for a while.

He has had a huge hug and shall be getting more.

Have some virtual hugs from the other Helen and pass any spares to Nathan...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old November 4th 06, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sniper8052(L96A1)

wafflycat wrote:
[...]

Sorry to hear that he was nearly wiped out, glad to hear he is okay. On
the plus side I gave out 23 EFPN's for stopping in an ASL this week
Just feeling mean...

Sniper8052

Ti-prep minus the Ti pg Techniques 5 August 16th 06 01:03 PM
Doesn't 7 minus 1 equal 6 Lance Armstrong? Racing 3 August 31st 05 10:34 PM
Doesn't 7 minus 1 equal 6 Lance Armstrong? Ernst Noch Racing 0 August 27th 05 10:33 AM
Doesn't 7 minus 1 equal 6 Lance Armstrong? Racing 0 August 26th 05 11:49 PM
minus 5 this morning davep UK 12 February 27th 04 12:41 PM