First Helmet : jury is out.

Old May 10th 04, 03:54 PM
R15757

Default First Helmet : jury is out.

maxo wrote in part:

...and I've also had a hundred facial stitches and dental
reconstruction because I didn't wear one...

Only if your helmet is a full-face model, unfortunately. Even Thompson, Rivara,
Thompson admit that regular bicycle helmets do not prevent or reduce severity
of common facial injuries.

Robert
Old May 10th 04, 04:33 PM
maxo

On Mon, 10 May 2004 14:54:29 +0000, R15757 wrote:

maxo wrote in part:

...and I've also had a hundred facial stitches and dental
reconstruction because I didn't wear one...

Only if your helmet is a full-face model, unfortunately. Even Thompson, Rivara,
Thompson admit that regular bicycle helmets do not prevent or reduce severity
of common facial injuries.

Robert

It would have prevented most of my forehead injuries, nose, but perhaps
not the teeth--it was a sliding forward on the pavement type impact, vs.
a full face plant. Would've prevented the concussion, too. I was an
unusual wreck: a huge SUV drove straight into the back of me and sent me
flying. Wierd thing is though: the bike survived with only torn tape.
Those old Univegas are tough!

On the moto, I always wear the full face--I switched when a pal walked
away after a seemingly deathly wreck wearing hers and said: it's pretty
cool to see the road fly by through the visor

Now if I could only get shorts in a lycra/leather blend...

Old May 10th 04, 05:19 PM
Doug Huffman

| It would have| It would have| It would have| It would have| It would have|
It would have| It would have| It would have| It would have| It would have|
It would have| It would have| It would have| It would have| It would have

The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

Old May 10th 04, 05:57 PM
maxo

What the **** is your problem?

Old May 10th 04, 06:54 PM
Q.

"Roger Zoul" wrote in message
snip
:: The added noise and irritation that the helment causes more than
:: offsets the "possible" help it gives in case of a spill by deducting
:: from my usual spacial awareness.

What noise and irritation? Regardless of any merits about safety, I find

my
helmet comfortable. If I ride without it, I feel as though I'm not

wearing
my seatbelt.

Interesting ... I've heard similar statements before. I wonder if there is
a "security blanket" effect associated with helmets. I can see how wearing
a "magic foam hat" fundamentally wouldn't be any different than a cave man
wearing a talisman around his neck while going into battle.

C.Q.C.

Old May 10th 04, 07:13 PM
Roger Zoul

Q. wrote:
:: "Roger Zoul" wrote in message
:: ...
:: snip
::::: The added noise and irritation that the helment causes more than
::::: offsets the "possible" help it gives in case of a spill by
::::: deducting from my usual spacial awareness.
:::
::: What noise and irritation? Regardless of any merits about safety,
::: I find my helmet comfortable. If I ride without it, I feel as
::: though I'm not wearing my seatbelt.
::
:: Interesting ... I've heard similar statements before. I wonder if
:: there is a "security blanket" effect associated with helmets. I can
:: see how wearing a "magic foam hat" fundamentally wouldn't be any
:: different than a cave man wearing a talisman around his neck while
:: going into battle.

Well, seatbelts can save lives, even if helmets mostly don't.

Old May 10th 04, 10:31 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Mon, 10 May 2004 06:21:38 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
wrote in message
:

What noise and irritation? Regardless of any merits about safety, I find my
helmet comfortable.

I used to think the same until I started riding without more of the
time and found out just how much cooler and more comfortable my head
is. Especially when toiling up long hills.

If I ride without it, I feel as though I'm not wearing
my seatbelt.

Risk compensation theory proved once again :-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old May 10th 04, 10:35 PM
Chalo

Walter Mitty wrote:

Hmm. Just bought a cycling helmet for my last short tour which
encompassed quite a bit of city cycling. Never wore one before : don't
think I will again.

The added noise and irritation that the helment causes more than offsets
the "possible" help it gives in case of a spill by deducting from my
usual spacial awareness.

I agree with your cost/benefit analysis, however as a regular
motorcyclist I will say this:

You can make peace with your helmet if it is important to you to do
so. You will have to meddle with it to obtain a scrupulously thorough
fit, even to the point of using the back of a spoon to squish your
helmet where it squishes you. And you will have to wear it, a lot,
until you are no longer annoyed by its particular sensory inputs.

I say this as a person who does not wear a helmet when riding a
bicycle unless in jest, and who often went without a motorcycle helmet
whan that was an option. I'm not fond of helmets, but I can attest
that they do not have to spoil the pleasure of riding if you are
willing to fit them properly and get used to them.

Chalo Colina
Old May 10th 04, 10:35 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Mon, 10 May 2004 13:26:53 GMT, maxo wrote in
message :

I've walked away from two accidents because of cheap, but effective $20
Bell helmets, and I've also had a hundred facial stitches and dental
reconstruction because I didn't wear one...

I've walked away from four accidents with varying degrees of head
injury. The two worst, one requiring sutures and one an overnight
stay in hospital and extensive facial bruising, were due to a low
doorway in an old mill, and an assault in a chilren's playground,
respectively. The ones where bikes were involved, my life was
presumably saved by my protective headgear, in the usual fashion. In
one case the headgear in question was a knitted acrylic balaclava, in
the other it was one of those old-fashioned leather racing helmets
(the bunch of bananas style) which of course are completely
ineffective except in preventing road rash on the head.

Old May 10th 04, 10:52 PM
curt

I don't even know if helmets are a law in Pennsylvania, but I wear one. I
don't know why, but if I were to ride a motorcycle, I probably wouldn't, but
my bicycle I wear one. Just seems too dangerous in the city. I found you
need to try on a bunch of helmets to get one that is very comfortable. It
is not always the most expensive one. I am currently riding with an old
Giro from the 80's, but am looking at a new one. Many of the expensive ones
I didn't like. That is a good thing.

Curt

"Walter Mitty" wrote in message

Hmm. Just bought a cycling helmet for my last short tour which
encompassed quite a bit of city cycling. Never wore one before : don't
think I will again.

The added noise and irritation that the helment causes more than offsets
the "possible" help it gives in case of a spill by deducting from my
usual spacial awareness.

I don't know. I still refuse to believe that the helmet won't help in a
spill, but wonder if the %chance of it helping offsets the % increase
in likelihood of an accident due to lower awareness levels.