replace touring rim

Old May 20th 08, 01:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gary[_3_]

Default replace touring rim

Thanks for all your help. I ordered the Alex DM18 from Jensen.

"Gary" wrote in message
news
I have a 2004 Trek 520 whose front rim will need replacement- It's gone
around 8k-10k miles, and the sidewalls are concave. The wheel has been
perfect and has never had any problems going out of true or breaking
spokes, but it's finally wearing thin. I've built wheels before. I read
that it's easy to obtain the same rim, tape it to the old one, and then
transfer the spokes. That way I can save money by not having to buy spokes.
Here are the problems: 1) Trek doesn't make Bontrager Fairlane rims any
more. What's a good touring rim with the same ERD as the Bontrager Fairlane
(I think it's 607)? Also, at this point, are the spokes fatigued enough
that I should replace them? (If I have to get new spokes, then I can build
any rim I want).

Old May 20th 08, 04:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Everett

On Fri, 16 May 2008 20:37:13 -0400, "Gary"
wrote:

I have a 2004 Trek 520 whose front rim will need replacement- It's gone
around 8k-10k miles, and the sidewalls are concave. The wheel has been
perfect and has never had any problems going out of true or breaking spokes,
but it's finally wearing thin. I've built wheels before. I read that it's
easy to obtain the same rim, tape it to the old one, and then transfer the
spokes. That way I can save money by not having to buy spokes. Here are the
problems: 1) Trek doesn't make Bontrager Fairlane rims any more. What's a
good touring rim with the same ERD as the Bontrager Fairlane (I think it's
607)? Also, at this point, are the spokes fatigued enough that I should
replace them? (If I have to get new spokes, then I can build any rim I
want).

I just built a new wheel for my touring bike using an Alex DM18 rim.
The Alex web site lists the ERD at 606.4mm, close enough for your
purposes. I paid $50(US) for a pair of these at my LBS. I'm pretty
impressed with these rims, especially for the price.

For details see: http://www.alexrims.com/

Click on CROSS / TREKKING, then find trhe DM18 on the second page.

The picture on the page doesn't show nipple eyelets (grommets), but my
rims have them.

Also, Jobst has posted here that he's rerimmed some of his wheels
multiple times using the same spokes. I've rerimmed several wheels
(but not multiple times) successfully.

--
jeverett3ATsbcglobalDOTnet (John V. Everett)
Old May 20th 08, 04:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Everett

On Mon, 19 May 2008 20:43:42 -0400, "Gary"
wrote:

Thanks for all your help. I ordered the Alex DM18 from Jensen.

Guess I should have read to the end of the thread before I posted my
previous response. Anyway, I think you'll be please with the DM18. I
just did my second ride on my new rear wheel and I must be doing
something right. Usually I hear that familiar pinging when headed down
my driveway first tiime on a newly built wheel, but not with this
wheel. ;-)

--
jeverett3ATsbcglobalDOTnet (John V. Everett)