Continental Ultra 3000 any good?

Old April 3rd 04, 12:32 AM
Gooserider

Default Continental Ultra 3000 any good?

Performance has these on sale for $9.96 for Team P members. I'm looking for
a 700x25 tire for commuting and training (not a racer just putting in
miles). They're wire bead but I'm not a lightweight so the extra grams are
no biggie. Are these a good tire?

Mike

Old April 3rd 04, 04:48 AM
Tom Kunich

"Gooserider" wrote in message
om...
Performance has these on sale for $9.96 for Team P members. I'm looking

for
a 700x25 tire for commuting and training (not a racer just putting in
miles). They're wire bead but I'm not a lightweight so the extra grams are
no biggie. Are these a good tire?

If you can get these for $10 get a half dozen. They are great tires.

Old April 4th 04, 01:27 AM
Dick Durbin

"Gooserider" wrote in message . com...
Performance has these on sale for $9.96 for Team P members. I'm looking for
a 700x25 tire for commuting and training (not a racer just putting in
miles). They're wire bead but I'm not a lightweight so the extra grams are
no biggie. Are these a good tire?

My experience with Continental tires has been so bad that I would not
use them again if they were being given away. YMMV

Dick Durbin
Old April 4th 04, 01:47 AM
Eric S. Sande

My experience with Continental tires has been so bad that I would not
use them again if they were being given away. YMMV.

My experience with TT2Ks has been very positive, no failures in
thousands of miles of use.

I have no knowledge of Ultra 3000s.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
Old April 4th 04, 04:27 AM
Tom Kunich

"Dick Durbin" wrote in message
om...
"Gooserider" wrote in message

. com...
Performance has these on sale for $9.96 for Team P members. I'm looking

for
a 700x25 tire for commuting and training (not a racer just putting in
miles). They're wire bead but I'm not a lightweight so the extra grams

are
no biggie. Are these a good tire?

My experience with Continental tires has been so bad that I would not
use them again if they were being given away. YMMV

Continental GP's, the original version, were racing tires and the sidewalls
weren't protected with any coating. They would easily get slashes and fail
on dirty city streets. The Ultra was always a great tire though it didn't
have as long a wear life as the GP if you didn't get a sidewall failure.

The latest GP's and Ultra's are more alike now and both have sidewall
protections.

Old April 4th 04, 01:02 PM
Stephen Harding

Eric S. Sande wrote:

My experience with Continental tires has been so bad that I would not
use them again if they were being given away. YMMV.

My experience with TT2Ks has been very positive, no failures in
thousands of miles of use.

I have no knowledge of Ultra 3000s.

I don't know about the Ultra 3000s either, but I concur that the
TTs are a great tire. Used them exclusively for years on my
commuter/tourer.

I have also run Super Sports (??) and wasn't very impressed. They
seemed to produce a lot of flats and looking at them closely one
day, I noted a lot of small sand grain-like irregularities in the
interior tire wall and thought perhaps they contributed to the
flatting.

I've since heard that Continental can be somewhat irregular in
the quality of their tires, with "bad batches" sometimes being
produced. Seems unlikely for a tire-maker with such long time
experience, but who knows. I buy only Conti TTs for my tourer,
and its the only Conti tire I buy. I've been experimenting with
other brands on my other bikes. No real quality conclusions yet.

SMH

Old April 4th 04, 02:44 PM
Neil Cherry

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 03:27:24 GMT, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

I used to use the GP's 8 years ago and side wall cuts were my biggest
problem. I tried the 3000's and they didn't wear as well as I'd
like. Now I buy the Sport 1000's (for commuting and reqular club
rides) and I find them to be inexpensive and they where well. Now I
just need to figure out how to keep them from dry rotting (my bike
tends to be in my car when I'm not riding on it). :-)

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)
Old April 4th 04, 05:47 PM
waterboy420

Gooserider wrote:
Performance has these on sale for $9.96 for Team P members. I'm looking
for a 700x25 tire for commuting and training (not a racer just putting
in miles). They're wire bead but I'm not a lightweight so the extra
grams are no biggie. Are these a good tire?
Mike

I saw the same, and pan on getting a few sets. I currently use the Ultr
3000 on my road bike in a 700x23c, and have many miles on them with n
problems at all

-