A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Racing
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Shelly Olds...bike stolen, bike found, gold medal won



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 11th 08, 10:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
caffetrieste
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 73
Default Shelly Olds...bike stolen, bike found, gold medal won

This is a pretty good story...it shows how quickly your life can
change:

http://cycleto.com/index.php?option=...article&id=589
Ads
  #2  
Old October 11th 08, 10:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ted van de Weteringe
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 966
Default Shelly Olds...bike stolen, bike found, gold medal won

I think it's Shelley.
  #3  
Old October 12th 08, 03:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,668
Default Shelly Olds...bike stolen, bike found, but still a gerbil

caffetrieste wrote:

This is a pretty good story...it shows how quickly your life can
change:

http://cycleto.com/index.php?option=...article&id=589


I'm afraid it would have been better had she never found her stolen
bike.

First of all, it should be illegal to own a bicycle without brakes on
it. It just doesn't look right to me. And that little black knit OJ
lid she's wearing needs to stop . She looks like one of Matt Decanio's
girls and just got finished modeling Stolen Underground panties for the
website.

This is very dangerous what happened here. Let me explain. She clearly
thinks winning a national championships scratch race means something.
But it doesn't. It's not even an Olympic event.

It's like saying you won the gold medal in changing your oil in your
car. They even call it the gold medal like some kind of
pseudo-Olympics. It's all an illusion. It's probably not even made out
of solid 24k gold. You could probably pick one up n Kay Jewelers in the
mall for like $25.

That is all.

Magilla


  #4  
Old October 12th 08, 04:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 285
Default Shelly Olds...bike stolen, bike found, but still a gerbil

On Oct 11, 7:39*pm, MagillaGorilla wrote:
caffetrieste wrote:
This is a pretty good story...it shows how quickly your life can
change:


http://cycleto.com/index.php?option=...article&id=589


I'm afraid it would have been better had she never found her stolen
bike.

First of all, it should be illegal to own a bicycle without brakes on
it. *It just doesn't look right to me. *And that little black knit OJ
lid she's wearing needs to stop . *She looks like one of Matt Decanio's
girls and just got finished modeling Stolen Underground panties for the
website.

This is very dangerous what happened here. *Let me explain. *She clearly
thinks winning a national championships scratch race means something.
But it doesn't. *It's not even an Olympic event.

It's like saying you won the gold medal in changing your oil in your
car. *They even call it the gold medal like some kind of
pseudo-Olympics. *It's all an illusion. *It's probably not even made out
of solid 24k gold. *You could probably pick one up n Kay Jewelers in the
mall for like $25.

That is all.

Magilla


I'd like to see her on the road more. But she wants to go to the
Olympics, I think in the points race.
  #5  
Old October 12th 08, 06:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,668
Default Shelly Olds...bike stolen, bike found, but still a gerbil



wrote:

On Oct 11, 7:39›pm, MagillaGorilla wrote:
caffetrieste wrote:
This is a pretty good story...it shows how quickly your life can
change:


http://cycleto.com/index.php?option=...article&id=589

I'm afraid it would have been better had she never found her stolen
bike.

First of all, it should be illegal to own a bicycle without brakes on
it. ›It just doesn't look right to me. ›And that little black knit OJ
lid she's wearing needs to stop . ›She looks like one of Matt Decanio's
girls and just got finished modeling Stolen Underground panties for the
website.

This is very dangerous what happened here. ›Let me explain. ›She clearly
thinks winning a national championships scratch race means something.
But it doesn't. ›It's not even an Olympic event.

It's like saying you won the gold medal in changing your oil in your
car. ›They even call it the gold medal like some kind of
pseudo-Olympics. ›It's all an illusion. ›It's probably not even made out
of solid 24k gold. ›You could probably pick one up n Kay Jewelers in the
mall for like $25.

That is all.

Magilla


I'd like to see her on the road more. But she wants to go to the
Olympics, I think in the points race.


To make Team USA track team for the London Games, my understanding is the
Olympic selections require you to be ****ing the coach (as was the
requirement for the Beijing Games).

The bad news for Shelley Olds is she will not be going to London even if she
****s the coach because each nation can take only 1 female rider for the
points race and the pursuit and they must race both. So unless Shelley can
do a 3:25 pursuit or better, she'll be watching the London Games at home.

The Olympics are poison.


Thanks,

Magilla



  #6  
Old October 12th 08, 06:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Nicolas
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default Shelly Olds...bike stolen, bike found, but still a gerbil


"MagillaGorilla" wrote in message
...

So unless Shelley can do a 3:25 pursuit or better, she'll be watching the
London Games at home.

The Olympics are poison.


Thanks,

Magilla


Shelley is in the progression years. Although she is taking a assistant
coaching position, she's a long way from the top herself. Without doing a
lot of checking, she is have a decent year, all things considered. I see
she's got three years of results posted on her website, but she has 4
actually, perhaps more. She is progressing some, better then nothing. Even
Leontien said it was very lonely at the top. Shelley has a long lonely road
ahead, punctuated by moments of ecstasy, sheer terror and great excitement
at times.



You can read what a lot of pros write about the highs and lows of winning,
tremendous rush of joy and excitement followed by tanking, days or months of
depression. It all depends on how you handle it, Leontien had help dealing
with it. Pantani obviously didn't seek enough help, or he might still be
alive today. Cycling at the bottom is a long lonely season, year in and year
out. If you don't progress, you need to get out, unless you just ride as
nature, and just love the bike without any regard for progressing or
accomplishments.



If you look at Anke Wichmann, she rode for 20 years and never won anything.
Yet she was perfectly stable and happy it seems. Well, she never looked
happy, but she was stable, and did manage to finally get on T-Mobile without
any accomplishments. She wasn't even a super domo, but for Anke, probably
she just loved to race in the pro ranks, all these years, without any big
accomplishments.



Its true that the Olympics is like the Holy Grail for women. That's because
its the only big ticket to success and fame, life in the fast lane, greatly
increasing their market value. Well, at least it used to be. It's worth
shooting for, if you are good. It all depends on if cycling remains part of
the Olympics. Otherwise for women, success comes only after many lonely hard
painful years on the road winning classics and big stage races, although the
Worlds is another nifty ticket to increase you market value and success.
Wearing the fabled rainbow jersey all year is the dream of all the riders.
Winning the Worlds is like winning the lottery, and winning the Olympics is
the grand prize lottery! Also, former past winners can wear rainbow stripes
or rings on their jerseys. Although its not the same thing like the big
stripes on the current holder, it still increases their market value a tad.



Luperini never won the Worlds or the Olympics, in fact she never rode in a
single Olympic race all these years since 1992. However, she made a
excellent career for herself winning stage races, and she never won the UCI
rankings or the World cup rankings, not even close. Yet she made a career
out of winning classics and stage races. In 2004, I believe she was getting
paid $50,000 Euros to ride for Let's Go Finland, and that's pretty good for
women, although MB racers get paid more, the top ones that is. Since 2004,
she won many more big events, so I think she was getting paid pretty good,
all things considered compared to other top women.



50,000 Euros equals about $66,000 US, and you won't find anyone in America
making that kind of money. Only Armstrong and Neben in the road ranks would
make anywhere near that amount of more. Armstrong and Neben should be
reaping the fruits of their endorsements, and milking them for all they are
worth. Why not, they deserve it! Those two women, put in a lot of hard
lonely painful years! They were the only two full time fully dedicated
professional American women, and they worked the ropes on pro UCI teams too.



I wonder if those old gold medals from the past have more gold in them, then
the new ones? Gold is worth a ton of money per ounce now. I wonder how many
champions from the past are considering melting down their gold medals for
cash?



Nicolas




  #7  
Old October 12th 08, 06:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,811
Default Shelly Olds...bike stolen, bike found, but still a gerbil

Nicolas wrote:
Shelley is in the progression years. Although she is taking a assistant
coaching position, she's a long way from the top herself. Without doing a
lot of checking, she is have a decent year, all things considered. I see
she's got three years of results posted on her website, but she has 4
actually, perhaps more. She is progressing some, better then nothing. Even
Leontien said it was very lonely at the top. Shelley has a long lonely
road ahead, punctuated by moments of ecstasy, sheer terror and great
excitement at times.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKqzayNo4Dk

  #8  
Old October 12th 08, 07:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,044
Default Shelly Olds...bike stolen, bike found, but still a gerbil

In article ,
"Nicolas" wrote:

"MagillaGorilla" wrote in message
...

So unless Shelley can do a 3:25 pursuit or better, she'll be watching the
London Games at home.

The Olympics are poison.


Luperini never won the Worlds or the Olympics, in fact she never rode in a
single Olympic race all these years since 1992. However, she made a
excellent career for herself winning stage races, and she never won the UCI
rankings or the World cup rankings, not even close. Yet she made a career
out of winning classics and stage races. In 2004, I believe she was getting
paid $50,000 Euros to ride for Let's Go Finland,


50,000 Euros equals about $66,000 US, and you won't find anyone in America
making that kind of money. Only Armstrong and Neben in the road ranks would
make anywhere near that amount of more. Armstrong and Neben should be
reaping the fruits of their endorsements, and milking them for all they are
worth. Why not, they deserve it! Those two women, put in a lot of hard
lonely painful years! They were the only two full time fully dedicated
professional American women, and they worked the ropes on pro UCI teams too.

I wonder if those old gold medals from the past have more gold in them, then
the new ones? Gold is worth a ton of money per ounce now. I wonder how many
champions from the past are considering melting down their gold medals for
cash?


Bad plan. Almost all of the "gold" medals from 1920 onwards have been
gilt silver.

http://www.hesge.ch/heg/vous_etes/do...hnyder_annexe1
..pdf

Can someone confirm that the Albertville, Lillehammer, and Atlanta
medals were substantially gold?

As for women's cycling, it just doesn't pay well. There are AAA hockey
players who make more than most women cyclists.

--
Ryan Cousineau http://www.wiredcola.com/
"In other newsgroups, they killfile trolls."
"In rec.bicycles.racing, we coach them."
  #9  
Old October 12th 08, 08:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,549
Default Shelly Olds...bike stolen, bike found, but still a gerbil

In article ],
Ryan Cousineau wrote:

As for women's cycling, it just doesn't pay well. There are AAA hockey
players who make more than most women cyclists.


But they need the extra to pay their dentists.

--
tanx,
Howard

Abandon the Creeping Meatball!

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
  #10  
Old October 12th 08, 10:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Nicolas
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default Shelly Olds...bike stolen, bike found, but still a gerbil


"Ryan Cousineau" wrote in message
]...

Bad plan. Almost all of the "gold" medals from 1920 onwards have been
gilt silver.

http://www.hesge.ch/heg/vous_etes/do...hnyder_annexe1
.pdf

Can someone confirm that the Albertville, Lillehammer, and Atlanta
medals were substantially gold?

As for women's cycling, it just doesn't pay well. There are AAA hockey
players who make more than most women cyclists.

--
Ryan Cousineau


Gilt, well at least some had gold edges, or something similar from other
accounts. Still pathetic. Olympic champions should have real gold medals, or
least solid gold plated, cheapskates. They might as well use medals from
crackerjack boxes. Olympic and World Championship gold, should be gold
plated. If Silver is silver, Gold should be Gold. It's a fraud on the sport,
public and the athletes.

Women's cycling has never paid well. They use it as a springboard for their
careers here, and Europe even more so as hometown heroes.

Nicolas


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stolen bike found in Ramsgate Simon Bennett UK 3 October 3rd 06 10:18 AM
Found stolen/dumped bike in Surbiton nr Station ... elyob UK 1 August 19th 05 09:21 AM
Tyler's gold medal MagillaGorilla Racing 16 March 14th 05 03:43 PM
Hamilton Gives Gold Medal to Ekimov! MagillaGorilla Racing 1 March 2nd 05 02:54 AM
Tyler Hamilton's Gold Medal crit PRO Racing 3 February 14th 05 12:40 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.