Got Wood?

Old July 11th 11, 02:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn °_°

Default Got Wood?

Some of the nicest looking wooden construction.

See http://sanomagic.world.coocan.jp/Lineup/sanomagicbikelineup.htm,
http://sanomagic.world.coocan.jp/bicycle/20071013/digiweb/menu.html,
http://sanomagic.world.coocan.jp/englishindex.html.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old July 11th 11, 03:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

http://www.renovobikes.com/

--
JS.
Old July 11th 11, 04:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Tºm Shermªn °_° wrote:
Some of the nicest looking wooden construction.

See http://sanomagic.world.coocan.jp/Lineup/sanomagicbikelineup.htm,
http://sanomagic.world.coocan.jp/bicycle/20071013/digiweb/menu.html,
http://sanomagic.world.coocan.jp/englishindex.html.

Wood. You can't weld it.

As Sky Yaeger noted, "Had we invented steel yesterday,
people would find it amazing".

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old July 11th 11, 04:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

http://www.newblog.isetehtud.pri.ee/?p=494

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old July 11th 11, 04:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

wrote:
Tºm Shermªn °_° wrote:
Some of the nicest looking wooden construction.

See http://sanomagic.world.coocan.jp/Lineup/sanomagicbikelineup.htm,
http://sanomagic.world.coocan.jp/bicycle/20071013/digiweb/menu.html,
http://sanomagic.world.coocan.jp/englishindex.html.

http://www.renovobikes.com/

http://www.newblog.isetehtud.pri.ee/?p=494

Impressive, but not as useful.

BTW, had I been able to test ride a Renovo and found it acceptable, I
wood (sorry) have bought one. It wood (sorry again) have been a real
pleasure to win a few A grade vets races on a bicycle with a frame made
from wood.

--
JS.
Old July 11th 11, 04:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn °_°

On 7/10/2011 10:01 PM, AMuzi wrote:
Tºm Shermªn °_° wrote:
Some of the nicest looking wooden construction.

See http://sanomagic.world.coocan.jp/Lineup/sanomagicbikelineup.htm,
http://sanomagic.world.coocan.jp/bicycle/20071013/digiweb/menu.html,
http://sanomagic.world.coocan.jp/englishindex.html.

Wood. You can't weld it.

But you can glue it.

Nb. Metal can also be glued, e.g. Windcheetah Speedy, Kabuki Submariner.

As Sky Yaeger noted, "Had we invented steel yesterday, people would find
it amazing".

It has only been in the last 20 years or so that welding has been
commonly used for high-end steel bicycles.

Old July 11th 11, 07:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Jul 11, 4:32*am, James wrote:

http://www.renovobikes.com/

BTW, had I been able to test ride a Renovo and found it acceptable, I
wood (sorry) have bought one. *It wood (sorry again) have been a real
pleasure to win a few A grade vets races on a bicycle with a frame made
from wood.

+1. I drooled over the photographs of those. But they didn't make a
model capable of taking a 60x622 Big Apple, which is my minimum
requirement.

Old July 11th 11, 07:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Andre Jute wrote:
On Jul 11, 4:32 am, James wrote:
http://www.renovobikes.com/

BTW, had I been able to test ride a Renovo and found it acceptable, I
wood (sorry) have bought one. It wood (sorry again) have been a real
pleasure to win a few A grade vets races on a bicycle with a frame made
from wood.

+1. I drooled over the photographs of those. But they didn't make a
model capable of taking a 60x622 Big Apple, which is my minimum
requirement.

They nearly got there ;-)

http://www.renovobikes.com/display/S...=1306709517258

I guess you'd be after a model with horizontal dropouts for the single
gear with geared hub?

Hmm, then there's the rack and mud guards to consider.

--
JS.
Old July 11th 11, 08:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Jul 11, 7:56*am, James wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
http://www.renovobikes.com/

http://www.renovobikes.com/display/S...storage/M1%20r....

I guess you'd be after a model with horizontal dropouts for the single
gear with geared hub?

Hmm, then there's the rack and mud guards to consider.

--
JS.

The way I read their info, they would do you a semi-custom build on
details like that. Be a shame to cover the wood with mudguards and a
rack. I suspect they sell their bikes to people who have many bikes
and ride the Renovo four or five times a year when the weather is
absolutely perfect. -- AJ
Old July 12th 11, 04:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Tºm Shermªn °_° wrote:
Some of the nicest looking wooden construction.

See http://sanomagic.world.coocan.jp/Lineup/sanomagicbikelineup.htm,
http://sanomagic.world.coocan.jp/bicycle/20071013/digiweb/menu.html,
http://sanomagic.world.coocan.jp/englishindex.html.

Wood. You can't weld it.

But you can glue it.

Nb. Metal can also be glued, e.g. Windcheetah Speedy, Kabuki Submariner.

As Sky Yaeger noted, "Had we invented steel yesterday, people would find
it amazing".

It has only been in the last 20 years or so that welding has been
commonly used for high-end steel bicycles.

The real way to make a strong wooden frame is to grow the wood in a
bicycle shape. Don't laugh, shipwrights have been doing it for years,
selecting tree sections naturally in the right shape. I've seen where
some furniture makers actually train saplings on forms.

Glued wood laminates can have very good mechanical properties (ditto on
the Mosquito example), oft-maligned plywood can be very high tech stuff.
Organics have a place in engineering materials, ever more in a
sustainable world.

I've built several small boats in the last few years with wood (mostly
ply), epoxy and a bit of glass cloth. The technique is more flexible
than welding since you can add strength and material just where you need
it (similar to CF layups). Wood is a natural composite material which
can be further modified with the introduction of some synthetics.

Phil Wood BB jp_nyc Techniques 17 April 14th 07 09:47 AM
Why wood (sic) someone do this? Johnny Sunset Recumbent Biking 2 February 4th 06 08:36 PM
Wood BC Plates? e39m5 Unicycling 3 July 19th 05 02:07 PM
Who's got wood? Steady Rollin' Man Racing 2 July 14th 05 12:01 PM
WTB Phil Wood BB, 113 Dave Thompson Marketplace 0 January 17th 05 05:29 PM