Drug scandal rocks Australian cycling

Old June 20th 04, 03:51 AM
L'acrobat

Default Drug scandal rocks Australian cycling

"hippy" wrote in message
.. .
Originally posted by L'Acrobat Athletes, who can get huge endorsements
if they win, are prepared to cheat to do so.

Is it still cheating if everyone is doing it?

Yes.

Old June 20th 04, 11:45 AM
ProfTournesol

Unkey Munkey wrote:
L'acrobat wrote:
I'm stunned.

Which leads me to another pet hate .. that professional athletes don't
have to pay back any of the money spent on them at the AIS. I have to
pay HECs on my university training, why can't they pay it on their
sports training?
- Munk3y

you're right. You shouldn't have to pay HECS either. Education is a
community investment.

Old June 20th 04, 01:12 PM
L'acrobat

"ProfTournesol" wrote in message
.. .
Unkey Munkey wrote:
L'acrobat wrote:
I'm stunned.

Which leads me to another pet hate .. that professional athletes don't
have to pay back any of the money spent on them at the AIS. I have to
pay HECs on my university training, why can't they pay it on their
sports training?
- Munk3y

you're right. You shouldn't have to pay HECS either. Education is a
community investment.

That depends on the course. A great many in the community resent paying tax
so some pretentious git can do a "gender studies" course that will return
nothing to the community.

Old June 20th 04, 02:14 PM
hippy

Originally posted by Shane Stanley
hippy wrote: You can't have it both
ways... either ALL athletes pay tax on their winnings or none.

Not necessarily. For example, a professional farmer pays tax and
clainms deductions, but a small hobby farmer does neither. Same goes
for professional punters, as opposed to the mug in the street. There's
plenty of precedent.

Did you just argue in favour of the athletes NOT paying tax?

Why doesn't a hobby farmer pay tax? Same reason a cyclist or javelin
thrower doesn't - they are not doing it for the income?

hippy

Old June 20th 04, 02:14 PM
hippy

hippy wrote:
Is it still cheating if everyone is doing it?

Yes.

Mmm maybe if you follow the dictionary definition.. but if these guys
have a choice of taking drugs and competing at the top level or not
taking drugs and never seeing top level competition, I know which option
most will choose..

hippy

Old June 20th 04, 02:30 PM
hippy

Originally posted by Plodder

snip sportspeople are entertainers explanation

Yes, I like this reasoning much better.. It might take a while but I'll
get it eventually.. TAX HER TAX HER!!

Remember that people going to uni/school on scholarships aren't paying
for their education - same thing here?

Hmmm... what do I pay to the Uni every semester? Scotch mist? Certainly
feels like money...

Did you fail to see the "on scholarships" in that sentence? I paid for
my course but then I wasn't on a scholarship like some others I know.
They didn't pay.

hippy

Old June 20th 04, 02:30 PM
hippy

Originally posted by Unkey Munkey
hippy wrote: Furthermore... (can you tell I'm up for a
whinge/argument? )

.. okay .. you, me , carpark - now!

Do you know how big I am? :P

This explains the reasoning behind the decision:
http://www.gf.com.au/articles_222.htm

yes, the descision found *against* her in respect of money earned from
appearance fees, sponsorships and endorsements. She didn't want to pay
tax on this money, I think she should, and the court agreed with me.

Okay, but this wasn't her prize money. I agree that appearance fees
should be treated as income, just not prize money.

"[t]he grants in dispute were not made in order to compensate Ms Stone
for income that she would otherwise have derived. They were grants made
to enable her to bear the additional costs and expenses of competing.
Those costs and expenses include, as indicated above, training and
coaching expenses, apparel and gear, and travel."

"The Commissioner espoused the view in Taxation Ruling TR 1999/17 that
prizes and awards are assessable where they are received from carrying
on a business of participating in sport. The Commissioner acknowledges
that money and other benefits received from a hobby or pastime is not
assessable. "

So I don't have to pay tax on my winnings.. yay :P

I can't see why not. Musicians, poets and artists are assessed on all
their income, I can't see what makes sportspeople a special case.

Even if they win a poetry competition or similar?

Munk3y .. proving that you can't avoid death, taxes, and hearing
my opinion.

Plugs ears... "la la la laaa" ;-)

hippy

Old June 20th 04, 02:45 PM
hippy

Originally posted by L'Acrobat
Someone else wrote: you're right. You shouldn't have to pay HECS
either. Education is a community investment.

That depends on the course. A great many in the community resent paying
tax so some pretentious git can do a "gender studies" course that will
return nothing to the community.

So... where do I enrol for gender studies? Do I get to pick the
gender? ;-D

hippy

Old June 20th 04, 03:04 PM
Unkey Munkey

hippy wrote:
Originally posted by Unkey Munkey

hippy wrote: Furthermore... (can you tell I'm up for a
whinge/argument? )

.. okay .. you, me , carpark - now!

Do you know how big I am? :P

hmm ... If you think I'm going to lower the tone of this thread with
crude sexual innuendo then you can think again! :P

This explains the reasoning behind the decision:
http://www.gf.com.au/articles_222.htm

yes, the descision found *against* her in respect of money earned from
appearance fees, sponsorships and endorsements. She didn't want to pay
tax on this money, I think she should, and the court agreed with me.

Okay, but this wasn't her prize money. I agree that appearance fees
should be treated as income, just not prize money.

I'll agree with you there. I'll back off on the prizemoney bit. It just
got my hackles up that she didn't want to declare appearance fees,
sponsorship and endorsements as income.
I think my boss should pay me an appearance fee for turning up to work!

- Munk3y
Old June 20th 04, 11:11 PM
Plodder

"hippy" wrote in message
Did you fail to see the "on scholarships" in that sentence? I paid for

my course but then I wasn't on a scholarship like some others I know.
They didn't pay.

hippy

Oops... my bad! I must have skipped "on scholarships" in mid-rant. :-)

Saying that, though, a scholarship isn't worth all that much. I'm on a
fee-waiver (an ersatz scholarship) and study with a number of people on
varuious scholarships. We all still have to put our hands quite deeply into
our own pockets. Largely, a scholarship helps, but doesn't cover expenses.
That's why I'm still working (23 years in the same job... that's not a
career, it's a sentence!)

Cheers,

Me