What abt mailing your bike somewhere?

Old November 17th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default What abt mailing your bike somewhere?

Here's the scenario: I may want to travel ultra-light
on some tours.

So.... say I fly from St Louis to Phoenix to ride the
southern tier route back to Missouri. I live near St
Louis

How can I get my bike and what little equip I have out
there with me?

Is it possible to pack it all in some kind of
disposable cardboard box and just throw it away at
start end?

Or buys some kind of shipping container and mail it
back home empty?

Advice?

Old November 17th 06, 10:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
mark

wrote:
Here's the scenario: I may want to travel ultra-light
on some tours.

So.... say I fly from St Louis to Phoenix to ride the
southern tier route back to Missouri. I live near St
Louis

How can I get my bike and what little equip I have out
there with me?

Is it possible to pack it all in some kind of
disposable cardboard box and just throw it away at
start end?

I've done that. Disposable cardboard boxes tend to get treated like,
well, disposable cardboard boxes by airline baggage handlers, and
domestic airlines charge a stiff fee to bring bikes as checked baggage,
but it can be done. Some bike shops have a supply of shipping boxes
lying around that their retail stock came in, others are pressed for
space and recycle or throw away the boxes as fast as they can.

Or buys some kind of shipping container and mail it
back home empty?

Bicycle travel cases start at $100 and go up to $700+, depending on how
sturdy and elaborate a case you want. Bike Nashbar, Colorado Cyclist,
and other mail order houses sell them if your LBS doesn't.

Advice?

If you have someone in Phoenix you can ship the bike to, ship it to him
by FedEx Ground. This seems to be currently the cheapest way to get a
bike shipped in the US.

HTH,
mark

Old November 17th 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Chuck Anderson

wrote:
Here's the scenario: I may want to travel ultra-light
on some tours.

So.... say I fly from St Louis to Phoenix to ride the
southern tier route back to Missouri. I live near St
Louis

How can I get my bike and what little equip I have out
there with me?

Is it possible to pack it all in some kind of
disposable cardboard box and just throw it away at
start end?

Or buys some kind of shipping container and mail it
back home empty?

Advice?

Go to a bike shop. Get a bike box (the bigger the better). Remove your
pedals, seat and front tire. Loosen and pull the handlebar stem out and
turn it sideways. Put a spacer between the forks - where the axle goes
(I use a carriage bolt and four nuts, but a bike shop will probably have
a pre-molded plastic piece that pops right in). Pack the bike in the box
(including the above, removed items) with whatever other gear you can
put into the box (doubles as padding). Add foam padding or double wall
the box at your discretion.

Take it on the airline with you (you are allowed two checked bags - the
bike box being one of them). If they ask you to pay (and on domestic
flights, they will - probably ~$80), pay it. If you are lucky and get an
inexperienced check-in clerk, keep your mouth shut and let it ride for free.

Shipping via FedEx ground is another option - and cheaper, too. You need
somewhere to ship it to, and you will have to do without it for a few
days before your tour while it is in transit. There are bike shops that
will take shipment and reassemble it for you - for a fee.

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
Old November 18th 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

mark wrote:

I've done that. Disposable cardboard boxes tend to get treated like,
well, disposable cardboard boxes by airline baggage handlers, and

Understood..... and something I had thought abt .....
that a cardboard box may REALLY get thrown around

I haven't even bought a bike yet but have been thinking
abt folding Bike Friday which could be shipped din it
suitcase.

But there may be times that even if I ship it in it
suitcase that I may not want to pull the suitcase back
home in its trailer mode as I want to travel somewhat
ultra-light. So I still have same problem with a
BF..... how to get the suitcase BACK home at start of
tour.

I guess I could mail the suitcase back home UPS empty?

I'm just trying to work out the logistics so that I can
fly to a destination.... ride the bike back to my
HOME.... and travel somewhat ultra-light

Look at www.aircaddy.com