Best to get a cell phone with GPS rather than standalone unit?

Old December 1st 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default Best to get a cell phone with GPS rather than standalone unit?

I have a Nextel i850, which is a GPS & Java enabled phone. While I
find telenav (nextels GPS direction service) to be utterly indesposable
in the city (Boston), it's basically useless in the woods. I usually
find I'm better off with a cheap Garmin handheld unit (which we got for
boating use). Not only is the unit under $100 US (well under the cost
of the i850), there is no monthly fee (telenav = $~10/month). Also, as
mentioned, it's far better suited for trekking through the woods.

As for finding resteraunts/bike shops, IMO that is a feature that is
best left to cell phones. A GPS that will do that is big $. However,
most cyclists I know carry a phone anyway, just in case of emergency.
In the event you need a tire/tube/coffee/beer, you could use 411
(combined with the co-ordinates the GPS gives you, assuming you don't
know where you are) to find said entity.

All that being said, I almost never carry either on the bike. When I
do, however, the less expensive Garmin is the clear winner for me.

Hope this helps,

Dan

On Nov 26, 12:50 pm, wrote:
I'm wanting a small GPP for hiking and bicycle touring
use.

At first I was going to get an eTrex model.

After some thought I'm wondering if Id be better served
by just getting a new GPS enabled cell phone?

I'm thinking a GPS enabled cell phone would be handier
in that I could also look up maps on Google and get
specific info not available on a stand alone GPS.

Example......I'm on a bike tour in an unfamiliar place
and I'm looking for a bicycle shop or restaurant. With
the cell phone I could access Google and tell it what
my GPS co-ordinate are and let it fid that info.
Correct/

Advce?

Old December 2nd 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Same here I carry a cheap black n white magellan sportrak along with the
pocket pc gps. It has all the POIs for camping, food, stores ect..,, The
pocket GPS has the address, phone number, and alot more info though but like
you said a cell phone is just as good for finding stuff.
Dave
oups.com...