"hit him back first"

Old June 11th 08, 03:32 PM posted to rec.martial-arts,rec.bicycles.misc
Pboud

Default "hit him back first"

Bill wrote:
Badger North wrote:
1993 was the year UFC 1 was broadcast, and marked for many a
revolutionary change against the claimed superiority of traditional
martial arts.

An earlier such change could be marked from 1970 when kickboxer Joe
Lewis knocked out karateka Greg Baines in the second round of their
fight, but it didn't have as big a ripple, and kickboxing in general
didn't have much staying power in the public eye at the time.

Badger North
www.youngforest.ca

I guess that means don't **** off my 29 year old daughter who is taller
than me, size 13 feet, and a kick boxer. She started out doing it as
aerobics then got hooked. My 'little' girl is no longer little.
Sigh, parenthood.
Thanks for the input.
Bill Baka

My daughter's into arnis, kenjutsu and (various styles of) knife..

Brings a tear to the eye, it does.

P.
Old June 11th 08, 03:43 PM posted to rec.martial-arts,rec.bicycles.misc

The heart hit is all too real. There was a big thing on the news about a
high school football player dieing after an opponent hit him in the heart.

Sure; that sort of thing unfortunately happens. But there are two
things you need to consider. First, the level of impact is far
greater when you're dealing with the mass of an entire football player
running at full speed behind a helmet, versus anything you're going to
generate with a palm strike. Second, players get hit in the chest all
the time in football; many times per game. Death from it is
exceedingly rare.

Your chances of stopping the heart with a palm strike are extremely
slim, to the point of being basically negligable. It may be possible,
but it's not something that you (or anybody) is going to pull off on
demand, and certainly not something that anyone should depend on
happening.

Again, people get hit all the time in the chest, be it fighting or
sports, and very few actually die from it. When it does happen it's a
freak accident; not something on which to base your personal
protection.

Do you have any idea what kind of impact is required to do something
like that? *Have you ever watched professional fighting? *People kick
one another in the legs all the time; it is exceedingly rare to see a
leg bent, much less broken backwards. *And it's a safe bet these
professional fighters are kicking a heck of a lot harder than a
fiftyish bike rider.

This fiftyish bike rider had more than enough leg muscle from hard
riding every day. I used to ride up a 950 foot mountain every day and
you don't do that with weak legs.

You don't think professional fighters work their legs? These are
people who train for powerful technique; their livelihood depends on
it.
Old June 11th 08, 03:52 PM posted to rec.martial-arts,rec.bicycles.misc

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 07:30:55 -0700 (PDT), Badger North
wrote:

On Jun 11, 10:14 am, Bill wrote:

I guess that means don't **** off my 29 year old daughter who is taller
than me, size 13 feet, and a kick boxer. She started out doing it as
aerobics then got hooked. My 'little' girl is no longer little.
Sigh, parenthood.

Yeah, they grow up, I'm told.

My 10-y-o and I were rough-housing the other day, and I got him in a
standing hold - both arms trapped, head trapped. I said "whaddya
going to do now, smart guy?" So, he kneed me in the balls - a perfect
shot.

Makes a father proud.

good thing you don't need those balls any more.

Hal

Badger North
www.youngforest.ca

Old June 11th 08, 03:59 PM posted to rec.martial-arts,rec.bicycles.misc

On Jun 10, 7:57*pm, Bill wrote:
wrote:
At the proper angle, it might bleed a little more and you might cause
some additional superficial damage. *In all seriousness, just for the
innocents that might be lurking, you will never, ever, no matter what
angle you hit it at, drive someones nose into their brain.
Possibly not with the palm hit, but a well placed hit to the bridge of
the nose with a body hard point like an elbow, or a classic karate chop
with a hardened hand should do it. Look at a human skull and it is
apparent that those 2 nasal holes are a weak point.

The nose is cartilage. *Even if there was enough of it to reach the
brain - which there isn't - it will compress instead of driving
backwards into the brain. *I suppose if you hit hard enough you could
crack the skull itself, but by that point the nose is pretty much
irrelevant to the process.

The "nose into the brain" thing is a myth.

I thought it might be. That was shown in one of the firestarter movies
with George C. Scott offing someone with a chop to the nose.

Because everything else in that movie was sooo believable....
Old June 11th 08, 05:27 PM posted to rec.martial-arts,rec.bicycles.misc
Badger North

On Jun 11, 10:52 am, wrote:

good thing you don't need those balls any more.

Damn straight, especially if they're just going to generate
reinforcements for him!

Badger North
www.youngforest.ca
Old June 12th 08, 02:25 AM posted to rec.martial-arts,rec.bicycles.misc
Fraser Johnston[_2_]

"Bill" wrote in message
Can you think back about 35 years. I had the Kawasaki 750cc, 3 cylinder, 2
stroke that would do 160 stock. I added bigger carbs, super flow air filters,
and Denco headers in addition to a one tooth larger front sprocket for higher
top speed and a little more gas mileage.
Stock, the engine would wimp out at about 7,500 RPM.
After I made the changes it came to life at 7,500 RPM and was still pulling
super hard at 12,000. It could have gone more but I didn't want anything
blowing up between my legs. With the CHP chasing me 170 MPH (on the peg) was
about 7,500 RPM, but the tach kept on climbing to about 9,500-10,000 RPM. My
nose was on the handlebars since I could not even attempt to sit up at that
speed. This bike broke the rear wheel loose at 135 MPH on a turn once so it
had well over 100 HP. People used to drag race them and get low 9 seconds and
135-140 MPH in the quarter mile.
The near 200 was a best guess based on the tach since the speedo was pegged
so hard even a bump would not unseat it. I did 10 miles in about 3.5 minutes,
but that includes accelerating and braking so I don't have a hard number. The
bikes did have a bad reputation among racers who said they were greased
lightning but the center cylinder was prone to overheating.

200mph on a 1970s Kawasaki.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Fraser

Old June 12th 08, 02:27 AM posted to rec.martial-arts,rec.bicycles.misc
Fraser Johnston[_2_]

"Badger North" wrote in message
On Jun 11, 10:14 am, Bill wrote:

I guess that means don't **** off my 29 year old daughter who is taller
than me, size 13 feet, and a kick boxer. She started out doing it as
aerobics then got hooked. My 'little' girl is no longer little.
Sigh, parenthood.

Yeah, they grow up, I'm told.

My 10-y-o and I were rough-housing the other day, and I got him in a
standing hold - both arms trapped, head trapped. I said "whaddya
going to do now, smart guy?" So, he kneed me in the balls - a perfect
shot.

Makes a father proud.

Did he knock them outta the jar on the mantlepiece your wife keeps them in? ; )

Fraser

Old June 12th 08, 02:28 AM posted to rec.martial-arts,rec.bicycles.misc
Fraser Johnston[_2_]

"Pboud" wrote in message
Fraser Johnston wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message

That happened to me in 2001, but it was a drunk 22 year old.
I was 52 at the time and he got out and pushed me off the bike.
My response was to flat palm him in the forehead and knock him all the way
across the street without killing him with a harder palm to the nose and up
into his brain.

*applause*

The idiot got up and came back for more, so I just danced with him and
deflected his shots until the police arrived.
Three different moms sitting on their porches all called 911 and almost all
the town cops showed up. I took all kinds of martial arts back in the 60's
and 70's but all that came to mind at the time was 'kill shots'
either open hand to the heart or nose, elbow to the throat or elsewhere,
and I did not feel like going to jail to explain.

*standing ovation*

Looks like RMA is back to the heady days of the late 90s. And I for one
welcome our TMA overlords. If they need anyone to give them a hand setting
up shop in their McDojos I'd be proud to answer the call.

Fraser

Hey.. if it'll get you up here, I can set one up... Beer-fridge mandatory,
training optional.. :P

Fraser