"hit him back first"

Old June 3rd 08, 06:14 PM posted to rec.martial-arts,rec.bicycles.misc
Pboud

Default "hit him back first"

Pierre Honeyman wrote:
On Jun 3, 8:30 am, Pboud wrote:
Shuurai wrote:
A minor confrontation yesterday... I'm out
riding my bicycle, some nut job on another
bike chases me, screaming. It seems I
committed the crime of running a stop sign
(guilty guilty guilty). He pulls along side,
still yelling. I ignore him. He's foaming at the
mouth. I run another stop sign, he blows another
gasket, hahaha! It's worth the price of admission.
Finally he peels away.
Ignore him.
That being said, it does annoy me when bike riders **** and moan about
having the right to ride on the streets, but then they can't even
follow simple rules and traffic signs.

No kidding.. Though the '**** and moan' bit kinda points out a bias..
I'd refer you to your local rules/regs for vehicles, but I'm not sure
what it says in your area... If it's anything like up here though, it
would be right up there with ****ing/moaning about motorcycles using the
road..

That said, there are assholes in all mediums, and cyclists are not
immune. Case in point would be the standard big-city bike messenger.
They'll weave, bob, cut off, hop onto sidewalk, whatever it takes.

Go to a third world country, ****, or even Europe, and soon you don't
give a **** about what the bikes/motorcycles/scooters are doing and
let them worry about themselves.

Pierre

There's a lot to be said for "right of weight"

P.
Old June 3rd 08, 06:19 PM posted to rec.martial-arts,rec.bicycles.misc
Joao[_4_]

Sam the Bam wrote:
A minor confrontation yesterday...

Reminds me of something that happened to me a couple f years ago. I was
test-riding a streamliner type bicycle (google if you don't know what
that is) at night in NYC's Central Park. I wasn't used to the bike, it
is quite heavy, and I was carrying a huge chain and lock on me. So on
the "big" downhill I just coasted and passed a bunch of riders. But once
we got to the big uphill, I just downshifted to a very low gear and rode
up very gingerly. So this one guy I had passed on the downhill looks at
me with a face of utter disgust, and says "that's ****ing bull****!" I
couldn't help but laugh. Loud. Right at his face. I mean, I'm just out
enjoying a ride around on my own, at my own pace, and this dude decides
to voice his indignation at my choice of wheels. Anyway, we get to the
rolling section after the uphill and I passed him again, and lost sight
of the guy. Then once I got to the benches where I usually hang out, I
sat down to wait for some friends. The guy catches up, stops his bike on
the road right in front of me, looks at me angrily, and does that
"slashing of the throat" gesture. Once again I couldn't help but laugh
at the bozo.

As ****ed off as he was, I knew he wasn't a threat. He was just a
poser. Same with your wacko I guess.
Old June 3rd 08, 10:48 PM posted to rec.martial-arts,rec.bicycles.misc
Pierre Honeyman

On Jun 3, 10:19 am, Joao wrote:
Sam the Bam wrote:
A minor confrontation yesterday...

Reminds me of something that happened to me a couple f years ago. I was
test-riding a streamliner type bicycle (google if you don't know what
that is)

So how do you get in and out of one of those things?

Pierre
Old June 3rd 08, 11:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Werehatrack

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 18:53:59 -0700 (PDT), Sam the Bam
may have said:

A minor confrontation yesterday... I'm out
riding my bicycle, some nut job on another
bike chases me, screaming. It seems I
committed the crime of running a stop sign
(guilty guilty guilty). He pulls along side,
still yelling. I ignore him. He's foaming at the
mouth. I run another stop sign, he blows another
gasket, hahaha! It's worth the price of admission.
Finally he peels away.

Now does that constitute a 'self defense situation?'
Not that I could do much, we're both on bikes... maybe
Sakuraba could pull off some kind of move, but I'm not
him... does mma cover this?

For a moment I thought he might try to ram me,
then I would have gone ape****. I wasn't carrying
anything, but I'm confident I can put my knuckles
through anyone's nose.

My question is, are you prepared for this sort
of thing, do you have your kata down?
Do you wait for the enemy to make the first
aggressive move? Where is the point of no return?

There are many answers.

You may be under a legal requirement to wait until you have been
physically assalted, or you may not; there may be some clear point
beyond which physical measures are deemd defensive, but you'd have to
sonsult with authorities in your area to determine what they are.

IMO, the approach you took was adequate; someone going ape**** over a
common practice is prima facie not fully in contact with reality. (I
will ignore the fact that the law itself, as well as those who are
obliged to enforce it, may be equally disconnected.) As such,
minimizing your interaction - which includes *staying in motion* as a
means of limiting the other person's opportunities to act, was prudent
as far as I'm concerned.

It is probably fruitless to speculate about outcomes had a different
path been taken; it wasn't, and even ex post facto plans come under
the old rule "no intricate plan of battle ever survives the first
encounter with the enemy unscathed."

Old June 4th 08, 12:07 AM posted to rec.martial-arts,rec.bicycles.misc

wrote:

My question is, are you prepared for this sort
of thing, do you have your kata down?
Do you wait for the enemy to make the first
aggressive move? Where is the point of no return?

how exactly do you hit someone back, first? If you hit first, you
aren't hitting them back.

and yes, you MUST wait until someone makes the first aggressive move.

Hal
Old June 4th 08, 01:27 AM posted to rec.martial-arts,rec.bicycles.misc,misc.legal
Sam the Bam

On Jun 3, wrote:
My question is, are you prepared for this sort
of thing, do you have your kata down?
Do you wait for the enemy to make the first
aggressive move? Where is the point of no return?

how exactly do you hit someone back, first? I
f you hit first, you aren't hitting them back.

Check aikido...

and yes, you MUST wait until someone makes the
first aggressive move.

I'll add 'legal beagle' to the rest of your list
of accomplishments.

Sam
Old June 4th 08, 01:40 AM posted to rec.martial-arts,rec.bicycles.misc
Sam the Bam

On Jun 3, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
Now does that constitute a 'self defense situation?'
Not that I could do much, we're both on bikes... maybe
Sakuraba could pull off some kind of move, but I'm not
him... does mma cover this?

My question is, are you prepared for this sort
of thing, do you have your kata down?
Do you wait for the enemy to make the first
aggressive move? Where is the point of no return?

These simple training videos will explain the inner secrets
of Bike Fu (it's a mixed-up martial art):
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QwKaeWkYbqk

Comic technique, but full marks for spirit.

Self-defence means you must always be prepared.
An attack can come from anywhe
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yIKFiZhrRzg

Justice! Some people deserve a killin...

As with any martial art, learning to fall correctly is important:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qMAJf-hf1Zk&feature=related

That's why I always cycle on a mat.

Remember, your preparation must be both physical and
mental. Bike racers are very good at mixed martial arts,
because they are already mental.

it's nothing llke motorcycle racing, tho... that's
how they train Al Qeda Fu...

Sam
Old June 4th 08, 01:46 AM posted to rec.martial-arts,rec.bicycles.misc
Sam the Bam

On Jun 3, Shuurai wrote:
A minor confrontation yesterday... I'm out
riding my bicycle, some nut job on another
bike chases me, screaming. It seems I
committed the crime of running a stop sign
(guilty guilty guilty). He pulls along side,
still yelling. I ignore him. He's foaming at the
mouth. I run another stop sign, he blows another
gasket, hahaha! It's worth the price of admission.

Now does that constitute a 'self defense situation?'

Only if you feel he presents an immediate threat to you.

I'm not sure... he was riding right next
to me, practically spraying the saliva in my face...

Not that I could do much, we're both on bikes... maybe
Sakuraba could pull off some kind of move, but I'm not
him... does mma cover this?

Hell, a simple kick would probably do - just knock his
ass off the bike.

A side kick, while we're both riding? I dunno,
I think you'd have to be a TKD warrior...

For a moment I thought he might try to ram me,
then I would have gone ape****. I wasn't carrying
anything, but I'm confident I can put my knuckles
through anyone's nose.

Assuming you aren't lying in a heap from him ramming you.

True, the times I fell from my bike,
I didn't rise none too quick...

My question is, are you prepared for this sort
of thing, do you have your kata down?

Which one had the bike moves in it...?

Pinan 3?

Where is the point of no return?

Just inside the Schwarzschild radius.

4/5

Sam
Old June 4th 08, 04:26 AM posted to rec.martial-arts,rec.bicycles.misc
Gernot Hassenpflug

"Bill Sornson" writes:

Sam the Bam wrote:
[...]

Just laugh at him and let him go. He's not worth the concern.

Seconded.

--
BOFH excuse #42:

spaghetti cable cause packet failure
Old June 4th 08, 05:26 AM posted to rec.martial-arts,rec.bicycles.misc
Pierre Honeyman

wrote:
My question is, are you prepared for this sort
of thing, do you have your kata down?
Do you wait for the enemy to make the first
aggressive move? Where is the point of no return?

how exactly do you hit someone back, first? If you hit first, you
aren't hitting them back.

and yes, you MUST wait until someone makes the first aggressive move.

Not in Canada.

Pierre