Bikes

Old August 2nd 03, 05:39 AM
Jiyang Chen

Default Bikes

What brand and model of bikes do you people own? What groupsets? What
wheels do you use for training and racing?

Serious responses please.

Jiyang Chen

Old August 2nd 03, 06:00 AM
us

Jiyang Chen wrote:

What brand and model of bikes do you people own? What groupsets? What
wheels do you use for training and racing?

Serious responses please.

Jiyang Chen

1992 Bridgestone RB-1, ishiwata 4130 steel, full Ultegra 9, Mavic Open Pros.

Building.. when I see the frameset.. Cannondale CAAD7, full campy
chorus, Mavic.

don't have "race" wheels cause I no be a racer guy... and the roads can
be pretty bad round here so everything is 32 spoke 3 cross.

Old August 2nd 03, 06:26 AM
Mike S.

That depends on what sort of ride or race.

If I'm doing a crit, then I'll use my super stiff Cannondale along with my
specially constructed helmet w/ custom mirror (so I can see what sort of
action is happening behind me). I'll also wear my tighty whities since

they
offer maximum support and that's important when you're out of the saddle,
sprinting, going for the win. Shimano Dura-Ace is the best gruppo here,
since the 9 speed chain is stronger than the 10 speed.

If I'm doing a RR, then I'll break out the custom titanium Seven with
downtube shifter (for the front) and Campy 10 speed so that I'll be able

have the 16 in the cogset. Having that 16 is worth at least 25 extra watts
when you need that RPM "sweet spot" at 24mph. If it's a long RR, then I'll
wear boxers instead of briefs. They don't offer as much support, but since
there are less seams in the boxers, there is less chance of getting saddle
sores over 100 miles or more. Additionally the added room in the boxers
keeps the package cooler on long climbs. Getting an overheated package is

sure way to lose wattage and get dropped.

If I'm racing the local century, then I'll break out the Recumbent. It's
smoooooth and has a custom gruppo by a local outfit, Coppi Machine Tool.
That bike is so fast that I just wear what's most comfortable, my

Polyester
Bell Bottoms. Numerous times I've dropped the entire field and solo'd onto
victory on that rig.

Hope this helps!

Damn! I was wondering what that funky ass bicycle-thing you were riding was!
Duh, shoulda guessed it was a recumbent. Only Henry...

Mike

Old August 2nd 03, 06:35 AM
warren

In article , Jiyang Chen
wrote:

What brand and model of bikes do you people own? What groupsets? What
wheels do you use for training and racing?

Serious responses please.

Steve Rex custom road frame, track frame too, Campy chorus on the road
bike, Sugino cranks on the track bike, ZIPP race wheels for both bikes,
train on Mavic CXP33 rims because they're very strong, Conti clinchers
for training and Conti Sprinters for racing. MTB is a Giant NRS-1 with
Shimano XT, Avid disc brakes and Mavic disk-only rims. The right tools
for the job.

-WG
Old August 2nd 03, 08:13 AM
Raptor

Jiyang Chen wrote:
What brand and model of bikes do you people own? What groupsets? What
wheels do you use for training and racing?

Serious responses please.

Jiyang Chen

A ****-hot 2002 Lemond Tourmalet, original equipment including
reflectors, except for Frog (mtb) pedals. Kevlar clinchers with Mr.
Tuffy liners and slime tubes. It's FAAAASSST! Especially when I wear
my white calf-length tube socks and sleeveless jersey. I need a new
saddle for it since the squishy one gives me saddlesores.

Mtb is a 1998 K2/Proflex 2000, again original equipment except for
rubber and repaired rear shock. Also Frog pedals. The saddle is still
holding together but squeaks badly. Snazzy Rockburn single-point rear
rack to hoist the helmet on long slow climbs, or the U-lock in town.
Even the chain is original, and hardly ever skips.

"I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we could to protect
our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security."
--Microsoft VP in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

Old August 2nd 03, 06:39 PM
Tim Lines

Jiyang Chen wrote:
What brand and model of bikes do you people own? What groupsets? What
wheels do you use for training and racing?

Serious responses please.

Jiyang Chen

Criterium: TCR Team, Ultegra/Dura-Ace mix, Velomax Orion wheels.

Sunday Bike for Club Rides etc: 1999 Trek 5200. Mostly Ultegra but with
Campy Chorus crank/BB. Rolf Vector Comp wheels.

Riding to work: Early 80's Nishiki frame (4130) with whatever parts I
found in boxes in my garage to put together a 7 speed 700c setup. I'm
not sure what the wheels on this are. The front is an ISO Matrix.

Rain/Snow bike: Early 80's Fuji "Sports 12". Hi-Tensile steel through
and through. Fenders. 27 inch wheels. Fits Really nicely, though.
One ugly bike. Feels good to ride on summer days and chase down and
pass posers. Everyone needs one of these. If you don't have one, I'll
sell you mine. Don't worry, I have a spare.

Old August 2nd 03, 07:59 PM
Ewoud Dronkert

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 04:56:09 GMT, Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
have the 16 in the cogset. Having that 16 is worth at least 25 extra watts
when you need that RPM "sweet spot" at 24mph.

Don't make fun of the 16. It is sweet.
Old August 2nd 03, 08:10 PM
Dave M Wyman

Jiyang Chen wrote:

What brand and model of bikes do you people own? What groupsets? What
wheels do you use for training and racing?

Serious responses please.

Jiyang Chen

Road: 1961 Follis - got it new and it was the first 10 speed in the
'hood. It still has several original components, including the
handlebars (kind of narrow), gooseneck, Simplex front der (a "suicide"
stick shift mounted on the downtube), and bizarre Beborex sidepull
brakes. In 1975, several components were upgraded (and frankly the
choices I made were not always in the best taste): Huret Jubilee rear
der, Phil Wood hubs, Sugino cranks. Recent addtions: Super Champion
rims, basic Icon clipless pedals. Accessories: 1962 French leather
"hairnet" helmet and my 1976 La Grange (Peugot) club jersey, which
almost fits me.

Mtb: 2001 Specialzed Stumpjumper with a few upgraded components
(Eggbeater pedals, better brakes) - it's got the lower gears I need for
steep climbs on dirt or pavement. When I'm not on the Follis, but
chasing after roadies, the Stumpy is equipped with narrow Continental
Grand Prix tires.

Dave

Old August 2nd 03, 08:28 PM
Jiyang Chen

What RPM do you spin to achieve the "sweet spot"?
"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in
message ...

Old August 3rd 03, 01:26 AM
Ronaldo Jeremiah

"Jiyang Chen" wrote in message ...
What RPM do you spin to achieve the "sweet spot"?

220 rpm.

-RJ

Science Proves Mountain Biking Is More Harmful Than Hiking Stephen Baker Mountain Biking 18 July 16th 04 04:28 AM
Frequently Asked Questions about Mountain Biking BB Mountain Biking 31 July 4th 04 02:35 AM
Danny-boy flails some more! (was: Advice on a good hardtail.) Jonesy Mountain Biking 31 June 18th 04 08:01 PM
Ghost Bikes Garrison Hilliard General 0 June 12th 04 06:31 PM
£40,000 of Giant bikes stolen -Little Tricycle Pink Pink 10" David L Mountain Biking 0 November 5th 03 10:06 PM