cleaning fun...(not)

Old October 5th 03, 12:22 PM
Mike

Default cleaning fun...(not)

Deep Freud Moors wrote:
gravelmuncher wrote in message

I found a spray/lube/displacer with zonyl in it, so i'll give it a go.
You see, I've just bought a new Trek 1400 and i'm absolutely terrified
that i'll do something to hurt it. I've also heard that it's best to
clean the chain on the bike, as breaking the chain only shortens the
lifespan of that particular link(???) kinda makes sense really.

Its also less effort to clean it on the bike. Just get one of those
gadgets that clips onto the chain, and runs it between three brush
wheels, through a degreaser bath. Less than $20.

Although, the same person says not to run a hose over the bike so as not
to get water in bearings - but what about rain?

Slightly exagerrated. Don't run a HIGH PRESSURE hose intop the bearings.
ie, keep the pressure down, or be careful where you aim it.

With regards to your bearings, if they are well packed with grease, getting
water in should not be a big problem. The primary purpose of the grease is
not lubrication, but to keep dirt and water out.

You forgot noise! I hate the squeal of dry bearings.

Old October 5th 03, 01:39 PM
Duncan

"Tim Jones" wrote in message
. au...
"gravelmuncher" wrote in message
Any suggestions on solvents for cleaning the drivetrain, and where
to buy them?

On the flip side...

Other than expensive bike store lubricant, what do people use for oiling
their chain?

85/140W oil (manual transmission or hypoiid gear oil) it's the heaviest
I've found.
It's a bit thick so I soak the chain on a baking tin in the oven so it heats
up and penetrates well.

Motorcycle chain oil?

Some motorcyle chain lubes may be ok but avoid the heavier chain 'waxes'. I
used some once that almost seized[1] the chain at low temperatures, it's
designed to operate at much higher temps on a motorbike.

[1] was too stiff to change direction fast enough around the jockey wheels.

Old October 5th 03, 02:06 PM
Deep Freud Moors

With regards to your bearings, if they are well packed with grease,

getting
water in should not be a big problem. The primary purpose of the grease

is
not lubrication, but to keep dirt and water out.

You forgot noise! I hate the squeal of dry bearings.

I've never actually come across squeaky bearings as yet. Seen plenty of
completely stuff ones, that have corroded and still been ridden, but usually
they just grind.

But it's the sound of a dry chain just sends shivers up my spine. I can't
stand that. Once I got this guy to pull his bike over, and I oiled his chain
for him!
---
DFM

Old October 5th 03, 04:58 PM
Jose Rizal

Deep Freud Moors:

With regards to your bearings, if they are well packed with grease, getting
water in should not be a big problem. The primary purpose of the grease is
not lubrication, but to keep dirt and water out.

Not true. In bearings the primary purpose of grease is lubrication.
The primary purpose of seals is keeping water and dirt out.