Right of way

Old October 9th 03, 06:01 AM
Arpit

Default Right of way

Who has the right of way, a cyclist on a bike/pedestrian shared path
(not lane) along a main road, someone else (cyclist/motorist) coming
off a sidde street to the main road, but on the road, not on the bike
path?
Old October 9th 03, 11:17 AM
Richard Sherratt

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 15:01:16 +1000, Arpit
wrote:

Who has the right of way, a cyclist on a bike/pedestrian shared path
(not lane) along a main road, someone else (cyclist/motorist) coming
off a sidde street to the main road, but on the road, not on the bike
path?

If you check the law, I'm sure you'll find that it defines who has to
give way rather than who has the right of way. In fact, I understand
that the traffic law does not specify anywhere that anyone has any
right of way anywhere. In other words, was I required to give way to
the vehicle coming out of a side street while I was riding on a bike
path beside the main road? Yes. Was the person driving/riding the
vehicle coming out of the side road entitled to crash into me? No.

Regards,
Richard.

Old October 10th 03, 06:07 AM
Ritch

wrote:

Who has the right of way, a cyclist on a bike/pedestrian shared path
(not lane) along a main road, someone else (cyclist/motorist) coming
off a sidde street to the main road, but on the road, not on the bike
path?

If you check the law, I'm sure you'll find that it defines who has to
give way rather than who has the right of way. In fact, I understand
that the traffic law does not specify anywhere that anyone has any
right of way anywhere. In other words, was I required to give way to
the vehicle coming out of a side street while I was riding on a bike
path beside the main road? Yes. Was the person driving/riding the
vehicle coming out of the side road entitled to crash into me? No.

Regards,
Richard.

Any vehicle that faces a give way sign has to give way to all traffic
before proceeding into the intersection. That includes cyclists riding
across the side streets. Many bike paths actually have give way signs
at road crossings, and I think it is safe to assume that the cyclist
should give way when there is no sign present.

Ritch