A Different Commute Every Day

Old March 31st 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default A Different Commute Every Day

I live in the Boston area, and I bike to work just about every day,
year round. It's a nice commute - about 15 miles each way, and
includes both bike path (the Minuteman Bikeway) and city streets
through Cambridge. Anyway, last week one of my colleagues who
commutes by car, asked, "doesn't it get boring doing the same ride
every day?" My first reaction was to say, "not nearly as boring as
sitting in a metal can driving the same route every day!" Of course I
didn't say that. But I started thinking about the comment. I realized
that while my commute takes the same route, or nearly the same, every
day, each ride is unique. Today, for example: the nursery along the
bike path had taken a delivery of cedar chips . . . nice aroma; two
geese came in for a landing in the marsh at the far end of the bike
path; in Cambridge, I hit that one particular dip in the road just
right, and caught some air; I had a nice conversation with a fellow
biker (she was riding a mountain bike with huge knobby tires, but
flying!) Among the many, many benefits of commuting by bicycle is the
fact that you never have the same commute twice. There are always
myriad little details that make each ride unique and fun.

Cheers,

Josh

Old March 31st 06, 06:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Josh Hassol" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

It's the same way for people who walk. My wife and I can do the same 20-30
minute walk through the neighborhood almost everyday and it's always
different. Whether it's the angle of the sun, the day to day change of
seasons or a man-made change, there are always things that are different.
The same thing happens on our bike commutes. I wonder if folks who are not
active outdoors are the ones who don't realize how the natural world changes
daily. It's sad for them.

jb

Old March 31st 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Josh Hassol wrote
I realized that while my commute takes the same route, or nearly the same, every
day, each ride is unique.

The weather itself makes every commute different. I've seen deer,
raccoons, skunks, and other wildlife on my commute, sometimes dead on
the side of the road. Everyday, I pass a Prarie dog preserve, and if
it's warm enough, they're all out cheeping loudly. I go thru parks,
where people are playing frisbee golf, walking dogs, jogging, etc.
Each day I pass other commuters, some I recognize, but many I don't.
However, my next door neighbor could pass me in a car, and I wouldn't
notice. I pass farms, where I am fascinated by all the different
plowing, irrigation, and grain storage techniques. Granted, I would
see some of this in a car too. But there's a more personal and deeper
interaction when you're in the open air travelling slowly, savoring the
experience.
Jim Gagnepain
http://home.comcast.net/~oil_free_and_happy/

Old April 1st 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Josh Hassol wrote:
I live in the Boston area, and I bike to work just about every day,
year round. It's a nice commute - about 15 miles each way, and
includes both bike path (the Minuteman Bikeway) and city streets
through Cambridge. Anyway, last week one of my colleagues who
commutes by car, asked, "doesn't it get boring doing the same ride
every day?"

Actually, I've found that it could get a little boring ... after about
15 years or so.

I eventually started exploring different routes to and from work. It's
kind of interesting to ride through different neighborhoods, or to do
little exploratory "projects" - like, trying out every possible street
on the way. If I'm in a hurry, I use the default route (which is
shortest). Other days I might climb the extra hill that gives the big
view over the valley. Alternately, I explored for a while to find the
absolute flattest route into work.

Boredom is a symptom of lack of imagination.

- Frank Krygowski

What my bicyle commute looks like here in Texas Earl Bollinger General 4 March 29th 06 05:26 AM
Seriously Longer Commute dgk General 28 October 30th 05 04:22 AM
commute raingear recommendations? Steven Estergreen General 53 September 19th 04 02:10 AM
commute raingear recommendations? Steven Estergreen Techniques 61 September 19th 04 02:10 AM