Dollar bill boot test

Old August 30th 08, 10:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Dollar bill boot test

Some recent posts mentioned the familiar trick of using a dollar bill
as a boot for a torn tire.

Fogel Labs spared no expense in testing the longevity of a crisp
dollar bill stuffed lengthwise inside an undamaged 700x26c rear tire
at ~110 psi for 30 miles.
http://i34.tinypic.com/mskgg3.jpg

The faint diagonal lines slanting up to the right all over the bill
are from the tire casing pattern.

Like a business card, the paper bill soon tears to pieces as the tire
flexes. Probably the tearing would be worst over a hole in the tire.

Wealthy riders who long ago tucked their money into their tires
instead of under their mattresses may find little more than confetti.

Something stronger or stretchier than paper would be better.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old August 30th 08, 11:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Baldwin

Dr. Fogel - The forementioned use of dollar bills for boots was a common
practice in the 1990's when the U.S. currency was at it's strongest.
This clever road side repair is now gaining rapid acceptance in China.
You should have known.

Best Regards Always - Mike Baldwin

Old August 30th 08, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pm

On Aug 30, 2:33*pm, wrote:
Some recent posts mentioned the familiar trick of using a dollar bill
as a boot for a torn tire.

Fogel Labs spared no expense in testing the longevity of a crisp
dollar bill stuffed lengthwise inside an undamaged 700x26c rear tire
at ~110 psi for 30 miles.
*http://i34.tinypic.com/mskgg3.jpg

The faint diagonal lines slanting up to the right all over the bill
are from the tire casing pattern.

Like a business card, the paper bill soon tears to pieces as the tire
flexes. Probably the tearing would be worst over a hole in the tire.

Wealthy riders who long ago tucked their money into their tires
instead of under their mattresses may find little more than confetti.

Something stronger or stretchier than paper would be better.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Someone needs to try this with Australian currency, which is now
printed on polypropylene, and supposed to be more durable than the
Tyvek notes they previously attempted.

-pm
Old August 31st 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Aug 30, 2:33*pm, wrote:
Some recent posts mentioned the familiar trick of using a dollar bill
as a boot for a torn tire.

Fogel Labs spared no expense in testing the longevity of a crisp
dollar bill stuffed lengthwise inside an undamaged 700x26c rear tire
at ~110 psi for 30 miles.
*http://i34.tinypic.com/mskgg3.jpg

The faint diagonal lines slanting up to the right all over the bill
are from the tire casing pattern.

Like a business card, the paper bill soon tears to pieces as the tire
flexes. Probably the tearing would be worst over a hole in the tire.

Wealthy riders who long ago tucked their money into their tires
instead of under their mattresses may find little more than confetti.

Something stronger or stretchier than paper would be better.

O.K., I pulled the dollar from my booted ProRace -- I cut the casing a
few weeks ago, so the boot probably has 200-300 miles on it. It looks
pretty darn good. I will scan it and post the picture somewhere. It
was folded about 1 inch square, and none of the fold lines are torn.
I prefer Power Bar wrappers or GU packets, but a dollar was all I had
on me at the time. I can usually find suitable boot material on the
side of the road (a foil wrapper of some sort), but this time I
actually had a buck and didn't feel like going on a scavenger hunt.
Plus I was near a lake south of Mt. St Helens and was getting eaten by
mosquitos and wanted to work fast and get going. -- Jay Beattie.
Old August 31st 08, 12:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 16:04:20 -0700 (PDT), Jay Beattie
wrote:
[about dollar bill used as a boot]
I will scan it and post the picture somewhere.

In the US, that might be illegal - I'm not sure.
Old August 31st 08, 12:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kerry Montgomery

"pm" wrote in message
On Aug 30, 2:33 pm, wrote:
[...]

Another thing to try with Australian currency is to heat it in an oven -
I've heard that it works like Shrinky Dinks and you end up with a much
reduced, but still perfectly printed, piece of currency/plastic.
Kerry

Old August 31st 08, 12:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

On Aug 30, 2:33*pm, wrote:
[...]

Dear Jay,

When you're caught with nothing else, you use what you have.

Folded up that small, it ought to last pretty well--I'm guessing three
folds and eight layers of paper. There may be some slipping with
multiple sheets, and that would help.

Thanks for taking the trouble to look. If nothing else, I know that
lots of folds will last longer if I get in trouble.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old August 31st 08, 12:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark[_9_]

Michael Baldwin wrote:
Dr. Fogel - The forementioned use of dollar bills for boots was a common
practice in the 1990's when the U.S. currency was at it's strongest.
This clever road side repair is now gaining rapid acceptance in China.
You should have known.

heh, in all seriousness, I think the US mint is using more fragile paper
than years ago. In the last 2 years I did the bill boot (think it was a
new fiver, all I had with me), with the bill folded at least 4 layers
thick, it had a small rip by the casing cut by the time I got home.
Don't remember that from years ago.

By the way, as others have noted, I /did/ get home, which is the whole
point. But Clif bar wrappers (or other such) do work much better.

Mark J.
Old August 31st 08, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Aug 30, 2:33*pm, wrote:
Some recent posts mentioned the familiar trick of using a dollar bill
as a boot for a torn tire.

Fogel Labs spared no expense in testing the longevity of a crisp
dollar bill stuffed lengthwise inside an undamaged 700x26c rear tire
at ~110 psi for 30 miles.
*http://i34.tinypic.com/mskgg3.jpg

The faint diagonal lines slanting up to the right all over the bill
are from the tire casing pattern.

Like a business card, the paper bill soon tears to pieces as the tire
flexes. Probably the tearing would be worst over a hole in the tire.

Wealthy riders who long ago tucked their money into their tires
instead of under their mattresses may find little more than confetti.

Something stronger or stretchier than paper would be better.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

I did that trick about 3 weeks ago. I had a 3/4" cut right in the
middle of the tread, about 2 miles into my 17 mile commute. Had I any
sense, I would have turned around and went home, but I tried the
dollar bill, folded twice for 4 layers. It made it the last 15 miles
to work, but I wasn't sure how long it would last, so on the way home,
I stopped at the bike shop and got a genuine Park TB-1 adhesive boot
and put it in.

I stopped off at the soccer fields along the trail and used the dollar
bill for a bottle of Gatorade. Two quadrants were blackened by the
casing and a hole wore through two of the layers, but the vending
machine still took the bill.

I made it five miles past the bike shop, and my Park boot wore
through, and the tube blew out. For those keeping score, the dollar
bill lasted 17 miles, the Park TB-1 lasted five.

The Dollar is stronger than for which we're giving it credit.
Old August 31st 08, 03:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

wrote:
[about dollar bill used as a boot]
I will scan it and post the picture somewhere.

In the US, that might be illegal - I'm not sure.

Jay is a lawyer, so he should figure it out.

If it is illegal, will the Secret Service [1] be showing up at the Fogel
residence?

[1] http://www.treasury.gov/usss/counterfeit.shtml.

“Mary had a little lamb / And when she saw it sicken /
She shipped it off to Packingtown / And now it’s labeled chicken.”

Ten Dollar Mirror Joe King Racing 1 August 6th 06 09:48 PM
200 dollar pushbikes in the park DaveB Australia 12 April 8th 06 04:36 PM
Those four dollar nashbar saddles... maxo General 14 July 6th 05 03:46 AM
Tyler's Dollar Loss B. Lafferty Racing 0 November 30th 04 08:02 PM