Dollar bill boot test

Old August 31st 08, 06:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Dollar bill boot test

On Aug 31, 9:18 am, Mark wrote:

Whoa! I've never /booted/ a tire where the boot was contacting
pavement. Y'all are booting some seriously big cuts in that case!

...and I thought I tried wild things.

I would say if the hole's not big enough for the tube to pop out and
say howdy and rub against the street, it doesn't need a boot.

Old August 31st 08, 07:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Aug 31, 1:19 pm, wrote:
On Aug 31, 9:18 am, Mark wrote:

Whoa! I've never /booted/ a tire where the boot was contacting
pavement. Y'all are booting some seriously big cuts in that case!

...and I thought I tried wild things.

I would say if the hole's not big enough for the tube to pop out and
say howdy and rub against the street, it doesn't need a boot.

This is incorrect. Just as slipping a bill into an undamaged tire for
testing is. It is funny that CF's demonstration of shredding is just
what Jobst reported would happen years ago. But, he wasn't suggesting
a boot at the time, just giving this phenomanon as an example of tire
casing flexing and what it was capable of.

I punctured a tube in exactly the location of a small previously-
noticed hole in a tire. It wasn't a coincidence that another shard
happened to gain easy egress there. The tube was pushed through the
tiny hole. Similarly, lousy rim strips, over time, will let a high
pressure tube force part of the strip and tube into the hole.

The engineers here can describe with correct terminology the optimal
characteristics of the boot. I carry a piece of old tire casing, tread
removed.

Harry Travis
Washington, DC
USA
Old August 31st 08, 08:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
wrote:

Some recent posts mentioned the familiar trick of using a dollar bill
as a boot for a torn tire.

Fogel Labs spared no expense in testing the longevity of a crisp
dollar bill stuffed lengthwise inside an undamaged 700x26c rear tire
at ~110 psi for 30 miles.
http://i34.tinypic.com/mskgg3.jpg

The faint diagonal lines slanting up to the right all over the bill
are from the tire casing pattern.

Like a business card, the paper bill soon tears to pieces as the tire
flexes. Probably the tearing would be worst over a hole in the tire.

Wealthy riders who long ago tucked their money into their tires
instead of under their mattresses may find little more than confetti.

Something stronger or stretchier than paper would be better.

Stretching is contraindicated for tire boots.

--
Michael Press
Old August 31st 08, 09:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Harry Travis wrote:

Whoa! I've never /booted/ a tire where the boot was contacting
pavement. Y'all are booting some seriously big cuts in that case!

...and I thought I tried wild things.

I would say if the hole's not big enough for the tube to pop out
and say howdy and rub against the street, it doesn't need a boot.

This is incorrect. Just as slipping a bill into an undamaged tire
for testing is. It is funny that CF's demonstration of shredding is
just what Jobst reported would happen years ago. But, he wasn't
suggesting a boot at the time, just giving this phenomenon as an
example of tire casing flexing and what it was capable of.

I punctured a tube in exactly the location of a small previously-
noticed hole in a tire. It wasn't a coincidence that another shard
happened to gain easy egress there. The tube was pushed through the
tiny hole. Similarly, lousy rim strips, over time, will let a high
pressure tube force part of the strip and tube into the hole.

The engineers here can describe with correct terminology the optimal
characteristics of the boot. I carry a piece of old tire casing,
tread removed.

I recall old auto tire boots in the days of tires with tubes that one
repaired at home. From that it was obvious to me that a section from
a racing tubular with tread in place (thin as it is) was a perfect
boot with its periphery feathered to a cord thickness. Laid in the
tire lengthwise, it can deform the same as the tire casing does, being
also a 90° bias ply weave.

Paper does not work well because it cannot change length and width
with tire casing deformation. That is why I suggest using a standard
paper business card laid between inner tube and tread side of a tire
to see what that is. The paper gets torn into tiny ~1mm confetti in
line with the bias angle. Dollar bills may be good paper, but they
will et torn to confetti in time.

Jobst Brandt
Old August 31st 08, 10:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Michael Press wrote:

Some recent posts mentioned the familiar trick of using a dollar bill
as a boot for a torn tire.

Fogel Labs spared no expense in testing the longevity of a crisp
dollar bill stuffed lengthwise inside an undamaged 700x26c rear
tire at ~110 psi for 30 miles.

http://i34.tinypic.com/mskgg3.jpg

The faint diagonal lines slanting up to the right all over the bill
are from the tire casing pattern.

The pattern shown on the dollar is a print of rubber the casing cords
wore from an inner tube before the "boot" was in place. However, the
edge of the tear is made on zigzag pattern that fits casing,
deformation aligning with the printed pattern.

Like a business card, the paper bill soon tears to pieces as the
tire flexes. Probably the tearing would be worst over a hole in
the tire.

Wealthy riders who long ago tucked their money into their tires
instead of under their mattresses may find little more than
confetti.

Something stronger or stretchier than paper would be better.

Stretching is contraindicated for tire boots.

That depends on how you use the term. A boot should be able to
stretch on the diagonal while shrinking on the opposite diagonal.

Jobst Brandt
Old September 1st 08, 02:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Kerry Montgomery:
more durable than the
Tyvek notes they previously attempted.

I would have thought that Tyvek was pretty durable - albeit a
little slippery.

Anybody tried it as a blowout patch?
--
PeteCresswell
Old September 1st 08, 07:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Pete Cresswell wrote:

more durable than the Tyvek notes they previously attempted.

I would have thought that Tyvek was pretty durable - albeit a little
slippery.

Anybody tried it as a blowout patch?

For a blowout boot almost anything that will bridge the gap and can
flex a little will do. Worst case even a side of a beer/coke can will
do to get home. Although not a long term fix, one can tear a section
from an aluminum beverage can manually using a small screwdriver to
initiate cuts in the absence of ordinary scissors that can easily be
used to cut a rounded rectangle.

I section of a broad leather belt will do too although blue jeans will
frazzle and creep out the hole. In a tight spot, improvise!

Jobst Brandt
Old September 2nd 08, 06:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
wrote:

Michael Press wrote:

[...]

Check.

--
Michael Press
Old September 2nd 08, 04:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Aug 30, 3:33*pm, wrote:
Some recent posts mentioned the familiar trick of using a dollar bill
as a boot for a torn tire.

Fogel Labs spared no expense in testing the longevity of a crisp
dollar bill stuffed lengthwise inside an undamaged 700x26c rear tire
at ~110 psi for 30 miles.
*http://i34.tinypic.com/mskgg3.jpg

In Boulder you have to use a $5 bill.
Old September 2nd 08, 06:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 08:31:54 -0700 (PDT), Qui si parla Campagnolo
wrote:

On Aug 30, 3:33*pm, wrote:
Some recent posts mentioned the familiar trick of using a dollar bill
as a boot for a torn tire.

Fogel Labs spared no expense in testing the longevity of a crisp
dollar bill stuffed lengthwise inside an undamaged 700x26c rear tire
at ~110 psi for 30 miles.
*http://i34.tinypic.com/mskgg3.jpg

In Boulder you have to use a $5 bill.

Dear Peter,

This might be more popular in Boulder:

http://purplechiten.files.wordpress....ill-27178b.jpg

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Ten Dollar Mirror Joe King Racing 1 August 6th 06 09:48 PM
200 dollar pushbikes in the park DaveB Australia 12 April 8th 06 04:36 PM
Those four dollar nashbar saddles... maxo General 14 July 6th 05 03:46 AM
Tyler's Dollar Loss B. Lafferty Racing 0 November 30th 04 08:02 PM