Broken Exage 300 Country SLR shifter?

Old September 26th 08, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marty

Default Broken Exage 300 Country SLR shifter?

Hi,

My wife’s bike (an old Bridgestone hybrid type bike that she loves)
has Shimano Exage 300 Country SLR components on it. The right shifter
(it's a brake level and thumb shifter combo) will no longer hold the
rear derailleur in place. It had a switch on it to select between SIS
and friction. The cable is not broken. It seems that the mechanism
in the thumb shifter that was responsible for holding the rear
derailleur in place for the gear that was selected has broken.

Not sure if it can be repaired and I'm more interested in replacing it
with something that would work nicely with the current 7 speed rear
derailleur. I'd have to buy a new brake level too, unless there is
another all in one unit similar to the one that broke.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
--
Marty
Old September 26th 08, 05:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Sep 26, 8:45 am, Marty wrote:
Hi,

My wife’s bike (an old Bridgestone hybrid type bike that she loves)
has Shimano Exage 300 Country SLR components on it. The right shifter
(it's a brake level and thumb shifter combo) will no longer hold the
rear derailleur in place. It had a switch on it to select between SIS
and friction. The cable is not broken. It seems that the mechanism
in the thumb shifter that was responsible for holding the rear
derailleur in place for the gear that was selected has broken.

Not sure if it can be repaired and I'm more interested in replacing it
with something that would work nicely with the current 7 speed rear
derailleur. I'd have to buy a new brake level too, unless there is
another all in one unit similar to the one that broke.

Just search for 7spd Shimano shifter and you'll see all sorts of
options--they should all work fine. You can get an integrated type
deal, or just get separate shifters and brake levers. Make sure to get
brake levers with the right cable pull--as I'm assuming if it's Exgage
it's old enough to have cantilever brakes and will need a different
pull ratio than today's more popular linear pull brakes. Tektro makes
a nice lever that has a switchable pull ratio that'll run about $15,
the Tektro RT354AG.
Old September 26th 08, 05:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marty

On Sep 25, 10:15*pm, landotter wrote:
On Sep 26, 8:45 am, Marty wrote:

[...]

Yup - they are the center-pull cantilever brakes. I'll look into the
Tektro.

Thanks for the info.
--
Marty
Old September 26th 08, 06:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marty

On Sep 26, 8:45 am, Marty wrote:

[...]

I think this combo would do the trick:

Lever: http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=15693

Brake "pods": http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...7&category=772

Yes?
--
Marty
Old September 26th 08, 06:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marty

On Sep 26, 8:45 am, Marty wrote:

[...]

Brake "pods": *http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp....php?id=857&ca...

Yes?
--
Marty- Hide quoted text -

Brake "pods": http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp....php?id=857&ca...

D'oh! I mean "SHIFT pods".
--
Marty
Old September 26th 08, 06:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marty

On Sep 26, 8:45 am, Marty wrote:

[...]

I think she might enjoy grip shift.

These are nice: http://tiny.cc/FnTrI

Any experience with the SRAM Grip Shift on older Shimano F/R der?

Thanks.
--
Marty

Old September 26th 08, 08:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marty

On Sep 26, 8:45 am, Marty wrote:

[...]

Yup- Hide quoted text -

Done. Thanks!
--
Marty
Old September 26th 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,
Marty wrote:

Hi,

My wife¹s bike (an old Bridgestone hybrid type bike that she loves)
has Shimano Exage 300 Country SLR components on it. The right shifter
(it's a brake level and thumb shifter combo) will no longer hold the
rear derailleur in place. It had a switch on it to select between SIS
and friction. The cable is not broken. It seems that the mechanism
in the thumb shifter that was responsible for holding the rear
derailleur in place for the gear that was selected has broken.

Not sure if it can be repaired and I'm more interested in replacing it
with something that would work nicely with the current 7 speed rear
derailleur. I'd have to buy a new brake level too, unless there is
another all in one unit similar to the one that broke.

While you are working on options try spraying the insides
with a good penetrating lubricant. Not WD40. I vouch for
LPS-1 and LPS-2.

--
Michael Press
Old September 26th 08, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - 'Roid Rage Edition ®

On Sep 26, 8:45 am, Marty wrote:

[...]

Gripshift/SRAM work just fine on Shimano, granted they are
Shimano-compatible as is the one you linked above. Cheaper and lighter
(plastic parts) too.

Sachs 3x7 shifter chain pin broken meb[_20_] Techniques 0 September 2nd 07 06:17 AM
Bah, Broken Shifter Jorg Lueke General 2 August 25th 07 11:17 PM
Help Request: broken STI front shifter Jim Techniques 16 April 25th 05 08:42 PM
Broken Shifter? (Tiagra 9-Speed) GP-TJ Techniques 5 February 5th 04 01:55 PM