thoughts on a DC unicycle event

Old January 17th 04, 10:39 PM
muniracer

Default thoughts on a DC unicycle event

OK, I really want to set up a DC unicycling event but im not quite sure
where to start. i was going to do it like scott's NJ muni weekend, or
Hell on Wheel's Belle Isle muni ride, but DC trails are not technical at
all. they are fun, and there are technical parts and cool natural
trials, but most of the trials consist of level, dirt ground. it would
be very cool to ride freestyle, trials in front of the monuments (would
certainly make good pictures) but thats always sketchy (legality and
all). since i live on campus at AU, i cant set up a trials course...

any ideas on what would be cool and good some good riders to come?

--
muniracer - Hell On Wheel

The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns you!!

http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuq25
muniracer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4339

Old January 18th 04, 12:59 AM
cyberbellum

muniracer wrote:
*
any ideas on what would be cool and good some good riders to come?
*

The obvious is to do something with all the marble monuments and
buildings, however at the moment there are an awful lot of guards and
police in DC with a negative sense of humor. Marble is soft - steel
pins are hard. Hello handcuffs.

Rock creek park is full of trails, but no riding allowed (wink, wink).
It's too bad they enforce the no-riding rule at the zoo.

Freestyle at Dupont Circle is a good match. There's always something
going on there - a unicycling event would fit right in. Benches and a
fountain, though the fountain is marble...

The waterfront area near G-town has some possibilities, though it is
usually infested with beer-gripping tourons. Not a good vibe.

The've blocked off a couple of blocks of Pensylvania avenue in front of
the White House with good pavement. There are usually a few
street-hockey games there, but it would be excellent for outdoor
freestyle. There is a one-block park with a defunct pool/fountain
nearby that would be good for urban trials.

There are a few options for Muni if you head northwest. Great Falls
park (either MD or VA side) would be excellent, however they don't allow
riding off the very pedestrian bike trails. There is a pretty technical
section of the C&O trailpath just south of Great Falls where the floods
washed the trail cover off the bedrock, however I don't know if this
would be enough for a decent muni event. The staircase of the bridge
over the canal near that point would be an interesting trials ride.

Hmmm... what else.... University of Maryland campus? Kinda boring, but
they do have that nice water feature.

Ah - what about the park in Rosslyn right at the end of the Key Bridge?
It would be perfect for urban trials, and no one seems to give a damn
about the place. It's a one or two block park surrounded on all sides
by 4 to 6 lane major arteries; access is by pedestrian bridges 30' up in
the air with stairs and ramps down to the park. Lots of concrete
features. Can be rented for events.

--
cyberbellum - Level 1.0 rider!

Optimists think the glass is half full. Pesimists think the glass is
half empty. Engineers think the glass is too big.
cyberbellum's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4550

Old January 18th 04, 02:45 AM
James_Potter

I think there should be more west coast events....
Nope, can't come. Sorry.

--
James_Potter - OFFICIAL POSTER #1078

-The last time people listened to a Bush, they wandered the desert for
forty years.-

Old January 18th 04, 03:01 AM
muniracer

there are a lot of trails at rock creek park, but they are not
technical. like i said before, they are a lot of fun but there is no
challenge and people wont drive any distance just to get to them.
i ride on them all the time. the only time it was an issue was today
when some guy said "it says no mountain bikes" (i just looked at him,
smiled, and said, "yup, no mountain bikes.").

good ideas about the freestyle near the white house. of ourse we could
use the AU campus but besides a couple decent trials lines its nothing
special. and there is no space for freestyle (i.e. no big open space).
of course, we could find a park or something and set up a trials course,
i think that would be best but hard to pull off...

we shall see.....

Old January 18th 04, 03:27 AM
cyberbellum

muniracer wrote:
*there are a lot of trails at rock creek park, but they are not
technical. *

Yeah, I used to ride there on my lunch breaks from the bike shop (in
Adams Morgan) in the early '80s. Same story. But if the mounted police
get you they can be a pain.

Have you ever been out to the Billy Goat trail near Great Falls? It's a
nice walk this time of year. Extremely technical. Very interesting
rock about 500 meters from the trailhead at the Great Falls end. They
don't allow bicyclists, but...

Old January 18th 04, 03:30 AM
onefiftyfour

i come from the dc/baltimore area. there are loads of great trails
within driving distance of dc. i'm thinking of gambrils state park near
frederick, md; patapsco state park near UMBC ; loch raven resevoir
north of baltimore. there are others. i've never ridden a uni on
these, but they are prime m-biking trails. ever since i started riding
muni halfway proficiently, i've wanted to go "home" and ride the trails
there.

i think a weekend with an urban ride and two commutes to gambrils and
patapsco would be cool.

-eric

--
onefiftyfour - Eric
onefiftyfour's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3495

Old January 18th 04, 04:00 AM
muniracer

onefiftyfour wrote:
*i come from the dc/baltimore area. there are loads of great trails
within driving distance of dc. i'm thinking of gambrils state park
near frederick, md; patapsco state park near UMBC ; loch raven
resevoir north of baltimore. there are others. i've never ridden a
uni on these, but they are prime m-biking trails. ever since i
started riding muni halfway proficiently, i've wanted to go "home" and
ride the trails there.

i think a weekend with an urban ride and two commutes to gambrils and
patapsco would be cool.

-eric *

ill check them out

Old January 18th 04, 04:18 AM
onefiftyfour

i wish i could come with you.

-eric

Old January 18th 04, 06:13 AM
Checkernuts

muniracer wrote:
*

ill check them out *

Gambrils sucks I dont really care for it anyway Patapsco aint bad though
they have some good loops but it can get really muddy to the point where
a Gazz tire aint going to save you.

What about going a bit further out from DC to arround where Camp david
is in Greenbrire State park, they have alot of good natural trials stuff
and some good longer trials. Its been a while since I've been there but
I've always had fun there.

#

--
Checkernuts - Me Fail English? That's Unpossible

No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
to do it right. H20
Checkernuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/801

Old January 18th 04, 05:16 PM
nbrazzi

Fountainhead park in woodbridge, VA is a great place for off-roading.
There's also a great outdoor miniature golf course that's great for
trials there.

I've never been able to find anything in Great Falls that I liked, but I
understand there are probably several parts I've never seen.

I'm in for just about anything, if the timing is right.

--
nbrazzi

any God with sense is going to want to promote unicycling

-onewheeldave on religion
nbrazzi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/917

surfing on a unicycle, tips and tricks... paulie pavlic Unicycling 10 November 15th 03 10:38 PM
NZ Unicycle Weekend GizmoDuck Unicycling 6 November 3rd 03 07:37 AM
New Unicycle types! XWonka Unicycling 16 October 15th 03 08:54 PM
My first unicycle showard Unicycling 1 October 3rd 03 06:20 AM