bitch, bitch, bitch...

Old November 4th 03, 11:27 AM
gravelmuncher

Default bitch, bitch, bitch...

I hate it when it's windy whilst I'm training, and even more so when I
just want to ride. I hate it when it rains whilst I'm training, and
even more so when I just want to ride. I hate it when it's really cold
whilst I'm training, and even more so when I just want to ride. I hate
it when it's really hot whilst I'm training, and even more so when I
just want to ride.

On Sunday I rode the Sydney to the Gong ride, and on one of the climbs
I came across a man riding with a trailer attatched to his bike. In
this trailer was a girl who looked liked she wished that she could
ride with him...but could not. I felt humbled by the sight of the man
pulling the trailer - and ashamed of myself at the sight of the girl
in the trailer. I bitch too much about many petty things - whilst
someone else can only dream about some of the things that I most
ignorantly take for granted.

To all of the whinging, able bodied cyclists like myself... ...enjoy
every moment of it.

~J~

Old November 5th 03, 12:34 AM
Lindsay Rowlands

gravelmuncher wrote:
: I hate it when it's windy whilst I'm training, and even more so when I
: just want to ride. I hate it when it rains whilst I'm training, and
: even more so when I just want to ride. I hate it when it's really cold
: whilst I'm training, and even more so when I just want to ride. I hate
: it when it's really hot whilst I'm training, and even more so when I
: just want to ride.

Hmmm, just be grateful to be able to ride in any conditions, in fact
if you race, make yourself love adverse conditions because if you can,
you will beat anyone who is a whiner/whinger.

Me, even though I'm not fond of cold or wet riding I still acknowledge
every turn of the cranks. Cycling is heaven!

Cheerz,
Lynzz
Old November 5th 03, 01:50 AM
John Doe

Me, even though I'm not fond of cold or wet riding I still acknowledge
every turn of the cranks. Cycling is heaven!

I prefer atrocious conditions to just mildly annoying. You can always ride
an exercise bike in the loungeroom. No wind.

Old November 5th 03, 04:28 AM
amirm

Basically yup, agree pretty much with every one's comments so far. But
bitching is what that makes it all sweet.

Just imagine after your ride in adverse conditions, you arrive at the
destination, and someone asks how was it. Which of the following replies
does taste sweeter?

reply 1: Ah, the weather was really unfriendly, but I made it through.
Can't complain, it's winter after all. Well, I made a concious decision
to ride because of my belief and I accept whatever that comes with it.

reply 2: Oh it was a bitch, soaking in cold rain and the freezing cold
wind sweeping me from side to side. I could barely see what was ahead.
It was so damn hard. Magpies were swooping all over me and bugs were
getting in basically in every exposed orifice. But wait, bonehead
drivers were all trying to run me over and inconsiderate pedestrians
were a pain in the bum. But I was the best and I knew it. I beat them
all and here I am.

Old November 5th 03, 10:06 AM
hippy

"Arpit" wrote in message
I love it when its cold, raining, windy not so good, hate the heat. I
love it when its dark too.... it can be dark and hot and i dont care

I have no, um.. what are they called? brains, yeah, them.. but:
Hot is great! More sweat the better!
Wind is a pain but Mildura boyz are used to heat and wind.
Cold is okay.. I do suffer but it's usually my own stupid
choice, i.e. "nah, couldn't possibly need warmers, temp
is above zero!". One of my mates suggested that this problem
is a result of growing up in a hot climate. He reasons that I
was/am so used to just going out and the temp being warm
that I forget I am in Melbourne and it actually gets really
cold!
I really DO NOT LIKE rain... the only exception to this
rule is if it is in the middle of summer and I'm just cruuuzin...
preferably in a park, preferably intoxicated ;-)
Dark is fine - It's almost like a protective cocoon. With
cars they don't seem to see you as a target unlike in
daylight - maybe the flashing lights scare them away?
The worst condition of all though is sitting on your butt
injured, etc. wondering when you will ride next!!

hippy

Old November 6th 03, 09:40 AM
cfsmtb

Hippy wrote:
brains, yeah, them.. but: Hot is great! More sweat the better! Wind is
a pain but Mildura boyz are used to heat and wind. Cold is okay.. I do
suffer but it's usually my own stupid choice, hippy

no like heat, heat bad, we from deep south, cold there. woke up in
hospital on a drip courtesy of heat several years back. one moment
pedalling along hoddle in 40C+, next moment looking at white curtains &
lights, wondering where the hell my bike & clothes had disappeared to.
these days, catch PT in hot weather.

--
life ain't much but there's nothing else to do

Old November 6th 03, 11:29 AM
Gags

"hippy" wrote in message
"Arpit" wrote in message

...... He reasons that I was/am so used to just going
out and the temp being warm
that I forget I am in Melbourne and it actually gets really
cold!

Cold? In Melbourne? I moved to Melbourne at the start of this year and I
have only had the lid on my water bottle freeze over once on the way to work
(I usually leave home at about 6am for my 23km Yarra Trail commute). I
spent the previous 4 years in Canberra and I lost count of the amount of
times the water bottle froze there. I think the coldest morning was minus
nine degrees......had a shocking "ice cream headache" for the first 10
minutes or so (head/ear warmers are for wimps).

The worst part for me in Canberra though was the 6 weeks that my left leg
was in plaster from just below the knee. I had one of the gucci fibreglass
casts with a Gore-tex liner that was fully waterproof and so I could swim,
shower, etc. I replaced the left SPD pedal on my mountain bike with a flat
pedal, put a big sock over the bottom of the cast to keep my toes warm and
then rode to work as per usual. Toes used to be bloody numb by the time I
got to work.

Used to get some funny looks (especially when overtaking roadies) and I once
got overtaken by a dude with only one leg (in my defence, he was wearing
Aussie knicks and jersey).

I am also with the guys/girls who love riding in the rain (heavier the
better). Once you get over the first minute or so you are wet through and
so it doesn't matter anymore. One storm that I rode in on the way home in
Canberra was huge....lightning, thunder, strong winds, rain bucketing down,
just starting to get dark.....I swear that I was the only cyclist out and I
was pretty well laughing like a maniac for most of the way home.

Gags

Old November 7th 03, 01:53 AM
hippy

&
lights, wondering where the hell my bike & clothes had disappeared to.
these days, catch PT in hot weather.

Damn.. not nice!

The worst I've been was in Mildura. I think it
was low 40degs and I decided to hammer into
town to return some videos. It was only 5k but
when I got to the video store I got off the bike
and nearly fell over. I walked into the store and
my vision went from normal colours to sort of
whiting out - like a fade to white instead of black.
I actually had to sit down in the store until I regained
my vision and balance. Not fun, but interesting.
I think I took it a little easier riding home ;-)

hippy

Old November 7th 03, 01:53 AM
hippy

"Gags" wrote in message
The worst part for me in Canberra though was the 6 weeks that my left

leg
was in plaster from just below the knee. I had one of the gucci

fibreglass
casts with a Gore-tex liner that was fully waterproof and so I could

swim,
shower, etc. I replaced the left SPD pedal on my mountain bike with a

flat
pedal, put a big sock over the bottom of the cast to keep my toes warm

and
then rode to work as per usual. Toes used to be bloody numb by the

time I
got to work.

There's dedication for ya! :-)
It didn't slow healing or anything riding with a busted leg?
Actually unless you shock the area, it's probably better for it
to get some blood flowing I guess...

I swear that I was the only cyclist out and I
was pretty well laughing like a maniac for most of the way home.

That's the coolest.. when you are sure there ain't another rider out!
I still hate the grinding noise my rims make when braking in the wet.

hippy

Old November 7th 03, 10:17 AM
Gags

"hippy" wrote in message
"Gags" wrote in message
The worst part for me in Canberra though was the 6 weeks that my left

leg
was in plaster from just below the knee. I had one of the gucci

fibreglass
casts with a Gore-tex liner that was fully waterproof and so I could

swim,
shower, etc. I replaced the left SPD pedal on my mountain bike with a

flat
pedal, put a big sock over the bottom of the cast to keep my toes warm

and
then rode to work as per usual. Toes used to be bloody numb by the

time I
got to work.

There's dedication for ya! :-)
It didn't slow healing or anything riding with a busted leg?
Actually unless you shock the area, it's probably better for it
to get some blood flowing I guess...

The doctor advised that cycling would be OK as the cast kept my foot at a
set 90 degree angle and as it was a walking cast it was strong enough to
handle cycling (I threw away the daggy "ugg boot looking" shoe that they
provided and managed to fit a reef sandal over it.....it was right on the
end of the velcro).

I kept the cycling up to try to keep fit for my return to footy (injury was
in first quarter of first game of the season) and when the doc took off the
cast he said it was the best looking leg he had seen come out of a cast. It
was the first time he had used the Gore-Tex liner allowing me to shower and
swim and because I was able to constantly have water flowing through, I
didn't get any itching and my leg wasn't manky when it came out. I had some
minor muscle atrophy on my calf but I was back to playing footy three weeks
after the cast came off. The doc reckoned that he would now use the
gore-tex liners more often and recommend them to future patients (it costs
about $50 a roll though).

Moral of the story.....if you ever need a cast, go for the waterproof
version.

Gags