63 year old, 160 bpm, 100 miles, 2x/week ?!?

Old September 22nd 04, 09:38 PM
Charles Beristain

I think the reaction is to the HR or level of intensity being that
high all of the time. I'm 60 and TT at a HR of 170+ as well. But I
certainly do not stay above 160 all the time. I don't think the
argument is about hte spcific number of 160 but the order of magnitude
and the idea that the preson does only long rides at high intensity
and only 2x per week. This does not sound like a trianing program that
will work.

Agree... I'm 67 and it is not unsual for me to be at 163bpm for short
durations ( uphill usually) ... but certainly couldn't stay there for
100miles. My max is 171. Racing i stay above 145-155 on the flats and
uphills.. it drops on the downhills or where the course is very
technical and speed is limited by the terrain(X/C).

charlie

Old September 23rd 04, 02:02 AM
Chris Neary

He said he prepared for the flight by using a road bike for six months
before the flight, cycling twice a week for 100 miles, always above 160 bpm
heartrate, _and_ he's 63 years old! I know everyone's VO2 max is different,
but this seems pretty amazing. Almost unbelieveable?

My guess is he got misquoted (happens all the time...) and he actually
targets 160 bpm during the ride, but he is not at that activity for the
entire 100 miles.

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventu what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh
Old September 23rd 04, 07:40 PM
Blair P. Houghton

Roger Zoul wrote:

220-63 = 157. I could see his max being 170 which would put in at 94%.
Even 180 would put him at 89%.

The man is a jet pilot. An excellent one.

Good jet pilots are not normal human beings.

They are 6, maybe 7 sigma from the mean.

I'd bet his real max is above 200.

--Blair
"Barely breathing hard."
Old September 23rd 04, 10:17 PM
Roger Zoul

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
|| Roger Zoul wrote:
||| 220-63 = 157. I could see his max being 170 which would put in at
||| 94%. Even 180 would put him at 89%.
|| The man is a jet pilot. An excellent one.
|| Good jet pilots are not normal human beings.
|| They are 6, maybe 7 sigma from the mean.
|| I'd bet his real max is above 200.

So, it seems you think that high max HR implies something? I mean, working
at 80% for 100 miles might not be such a big deal...which would seem to put
him in the normal human being catagory, rather than exceptional.

Now, if he were doing 87 to 90% over 100 miles, 2x per week, that might be
impressive.

Hmm...I've not done 100 miles (least not 2x per week), so I don't know what
precentage of max HR would be impressive. I guess even if I had done 100
miles, I might not know. Enlighten me, please.

Old September 23rd 04, 10:58 PM
Zoot Katz

Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:17:21 -0400, ,
"Roger Zoul" wrote:

Hmm...I've not done 100 miles (least not 2x per week), so I don't know what
precentage of max HR would be impressive. I guess even if I had done 100
miles, I might not know. Enlighten me, please.

Just ride, Grasshopper.
--
zk
Old September 23rd 04, 11:20 PM
Roger Zoul

Zoot Katz wrote:
|| Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:17:21 -0400,
|| , "Roger Zoul"
|| wrote:
||| Hmm...I've not done 100 miles (least not 2x per week), so I don't
||| know what precentage of max HR would be impressive. I guess even
||| if I had done 100 miles, I might not know. Enlighten me, please.
|| Just ride, Grasshopper.

You're no fun, master!

Old September 23rd 04, 11:23 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 14:58:09 -0700, Zoot Katz
wrote in message :

Just ride, Grasshopper.

Good plan. http://www.hpvelotechnik.com/produkte/ghp/index_e.html

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old September 24th 04, 12:07 AM
Zoot Katz

Thu, 23 Sep 2004 23:23:46 +0100,
, "Just zis Guy, you

Mo' better plan. http://www.kmxkarts.co.uk/
--
zk
Old September 24th 04, 12:22 AM
Roger Zoul

Zoot Katz wrote:
|| Thu, 23 Sep 2004 23:23:46 +0100,
|| , "Just zis Guy, you
|| know?" wrote:
||| On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 14:58:09 -0700, Zoot Katz
||| wrote in message
||| :
||| Good plan. http://www.hpvelotechnik.com/produkte/ghp/index_e.html
|| Mo' better plan. http://www.kmxkarts.co.uk/

y'all trying to tell me something?

Old September 24th 04, 12:49 AM
Claire Petersky

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:17:21 -0400, ,
"Roger Zoul" wrote:

Hmm...I've not done 100 miles (least not 2x per week), so I don't know

what
precentage of max HR would be impressive. I guess even if I had done 100
miles, I might not know. Enlighten me, please.

Just ride, Grasshopper.

There's the famous story:

A Buddhist teacher saw five of his students return from the market, riding
their bicycles. When they had dismounted, the teacher asked the students,

"Why are you riding your bicycles?"

The first student replied, "The bicycle is carrying this sack of potatoes. I
am glad that I do not have to carry them on my back!"

The teacher praised the student, saying, "You are a smart boy. When you grow
old, you will not walk hunched over, as I do."

The second student replied, "I love to watch the trees and fields pass by as
I roll down the path."

The teacher commended the student, "Your eyes are open and you see the
world."

The third student replied, "When I ride my bicycle, I am content to chant,
nam myoho renge kyo."

The teacher gave praise to the third student, "Your mind will roll with the
ease of a newly trued wheel."

The fourth student answered, "Riding my bicycle, I live in harmony with all
beings."

The teacher was pleased and said, "You are riding on the golden path of
non-harming."

The fifth student replied, "I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle."

The teacher went and sat at the feet of the fifth student, and said, "I am
your disciple."

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky