Government white paper on health - some h*lm*t content

Old November 18th 04, 10:14 PM
Tim Hall

Default Government white paper on health - some h*lm*t content

Having been galvanised into action by the recent publicity regarding
the BMA change of stance regarding h*lm*ts (Oi, Chapman, that's your
fault you know), I've downloaded the recent white paper on health (the
one that will stop smoking in pubs where freshly killed foxes are
served).

Interestingly (IMHO) it makes no mention of h*lm*t compulsion while it
does talk about the need to promote cycling to schools as part of the
drive to reduce/prevent childhood obesity.

The excutive summary notes that "Over a third of people are not active
enough to benefit their health, and rates of walking and cycling have
fallen over the last 25 years."

It also says: "we will drive forward the new National Standard for
cycle training across England by 2006, through new support for
instructor training schemes and advice to local communities on
implementation."

Does anyone know what the National Standard entails?

So, at first glance it seems (a) not too bad, depending on
interpretation, from an encouraging cycling POV and improving training
and (b) to have no helmets.

Comments?

Tim
Old November 18th 04, 11:44 PM
NC

David Martin wrote:
On 18/11/04 9:14 pm, in article
, "Tim Hall"
wrote:

Having been galvanised into action by the recent publicity regarding
the BMA change of stance regarding h*lm*ts (Oi, Chapman, that's your
fault you know), I've downloaded the recent white paper on health
(the one that will stop smoking in pubs where freshly killed foxes
are served).

Interestingly (IMHO) it makes no mention of h*lm*t compulsion while
it does talk about the need to promote cycling to schools as part of
the drive to reduce/prevent childhood obesity.

I think John Reid would have a hard time justifying helmet compulsion
after his comments on adults making their own mind up about lifestle
decisions that affect their health - a soundbite that should be
etched in the conciousness of all campaigners.

Agreed.
I heard the long interview with John Reid on PM the other evening. Any
attempt at helmet compulsion as an ammendment to any bill arisng from the
public health white paper would be completely at odds with everything he
said. The interview wasn't cut, it wasn't a couple of soundbites, it was in
an in depth interview, so there is no room for misinterpretation. (The
underlying concerns are that anti-cycle-eric will try to table ammendments
to sneak in helmet compulsion).

The Reid interview might still be on the Radio4 website if you're lucky.

- Nigel

--
NC - Webmaster for
http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old November 19th 04, 01:29 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 21:14:41 +0000, Tim Hall
wrote in message
:

Interestingly (IMHO) it makes no mention of h*lm*t compulsion while it
does talk about the need to promote cycling to schools as part of the
drive to reduce/prevent childhood obesity.

Sorry, yes, I meant to say this when it was mailed to me a day or two
ago, but forgot. Oops.

Next threat: possible road safety bill in the Queer Speech.

Who'd have thought it - me dreading a road safety bill!

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old November 19th 04, 06:48 AM
[Not Responding]

wrote in message
:

Interestingly (IMHO) it makes no mention of h*lm*t compulsion while it
does talk about the need to promote cycling to schools as part of the
drive to reduce/prevent childhood obesity.

Sorry, yes, I meant to say this when it was mailed to me a day or two
ago, but forgot. Oops.

Next threat: possible road safety bill in the Queer Speech.

Who'd have thought it - me dreading a road safety bill!

Guy

Anyone got any clues on what the govt *doesn't* want to ban? Being a
smoker who cycles and loves the sound of baying hounds, I'm in danger
of becoming a career criminal.

Oh yeah; cannabis. I'll have to take up drugs.
Old November 19th 04, 09:07 AM
David Hansen

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 05:48:23 +0000 someone who may be " [Not
Responding] " wrote this:-

Anyone got any clues on what the govt *doesn't* want to ban?

People giving money to their political party.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

Old November 19th 04, 11:02 AM
Peter Fox

Following on from Tim Hall's message. . .
It also says: "we will drive forward the new National Standard for
cycle training across England by 2006, through new support for
instructor training schemes and advice to local communities on
implementation."

Does anyone know what the National Standard entails?

Yes.

A better version of cycling deficiency.

* No 'pass/fail' standard - a structured syllabus which progresses from
sitting on bike to traffic lights etc.
1A - Never been on a bike before or for a long time
1B - Can ride a bike without support
2 - Ready to use control skills on roads
3 - More testing road situations

* Assertive cycling and not following the Highway Code to the letter.
Including the pros and cons of cycle lanes.

* Age is irrelevant

* _Practical_ control skills

* Road skills taught on real roads (or at the roadside) ie with real
traffic. It's about being part of the traffic not something to be
brushed aside.

One of the plusses is that to teach it you should be _qualified_. (It
amazes me: The schools go on about child protection checks but can't
twig that the danger from defective teaching is far greater.)

The bottom line is that it is the business. I don't think anyone here
will object to anything in it or worry about anything being left out.
It's fun to teach because we get out on the road ASAP and see that GOSH!
people (especially children) _can_ understand the rules of the road and
how they work and also deal sensibly with traffic.

Sorry, I can't give you an on-line reference.

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the bridge building business collapsed

2 Tees Close, Witham, Essex.
Gravity beer in Essex http://www.eminent.demon.co.uk
Old November 19th 04, 07:35 PM
David Hansen

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:02:56 +0000 someone who may be Peter Fox
wrote this:-

* Assertive cycling and not following the Highway Code to the letter.

Any particular examples of, "

Old November 19th 04, 07:39 PM
David Hansen

wrote this:-

* Assertive cycling and not following the Highway Code to the letter.

Any examples of what you mean by, "not following the Highway Code to
the letter"?

One of the plusses is that to teach it you should be _qualified_. (It
amazes me: The schools go on about child protection checks but can't
twig that the danger from defective teaching is far greater.)

So-called child protection checks are largely a box-ticking exercise
for jobsworths. Most child abuse takes place within the family, but
this is something the usual suspects don't want to address.

Meanwhile the box-ticking exercise has reduced the number of people
prepared to volunteer. Of course that produces a greater danger, but
you assume the jobsworths care about this. They don't.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.
Old November 19th 04, 09:30 PM
Peter Fox

Following on from David Hansen's message. . .
* Assertive cycling and not following the Highway Code to the letter.

Any examples of what you mean by, "not following the Highway Code to
the letter"?

No. This came out in discussion and I forget the details. Possibly
"Don't wave right hand up and down to show slowing down and pulling
into the kerb" (a) Nobody understands it, (b) it could get mistaken for
anything and (c) you're better off with hands on bars/covering brakes.

The point is that the national syllabus is practical and real-world not
a rehash of 'road safety' bumf.

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the bookshop idea was shelved