Near Miss of the Day 466: Pointless ‘victimless’ punishment pass

Old September 8th 20, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Near Miss of the Day 466: Pointless ‘victimless’ punishment pass

QUOTE:
Today’s near miss – effectively considered a ‘victimless’ crime by Avon and Somerset Police – was the second close pass by the same driver on the same stretch of road.

The incident occurred on Coronation Road in Bristol, near ASDA last month.

“This was the second pass from this driver on that stretch of road,” said Jack, who submitted the footage. “The first was just a 'regular' horribly close pass.”

When challenged about his manoeuvre, the driver’s response was: "Use the cycle lane."

The incident was reported to police, who responded: “Thank you for taking the time to upload your footage which has now been processed (a warning letter or a fixed penalty or a prosecution has been issued). Thank you for helping to keep our roads safe.

“I can confirm that as you are a witness to this offence, you will not receive any further updates.”

Most police forces accept reports by cyclists of careless or dangerous driving – often close passes captured on camera – as a complaint by a victim. They will then provide information about the investigation in compliance with the Victims Code of Conduct.

However, several forces effectively treat close passes of cyclists as a “victimless crime” by regarding those on the receiving end as merely witnesses.

Cycling UK believes that in treating a cyclist submitting evidence as only a witness, these forces are implying that their report isn’t been taken seriously.

https://road.cc/content/news/near-mi...nt-pass-277103
Old September 8th 20, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Tuesday, September 8, 2020 at 5:35:37 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
QUOTE:

Captain Badger | 265 posts | 51 min ago
0 likes

Re refusing to confirm what action they will take, Herts police do this. this is from the latest that I sent in

Dear Sir / Madam

Thank you for the submission of your footage, we have now reviewed the footage and will be taking the most appropriate positive action, in relation to the incident you have reported.

These options include the following:

Warning letter
Course offer
Points and fine
Court

In the past they have told me what action they would take, however this policy appears to have changed, and the above was as far as they would go. When I pressed them to confirm whether they would be taking any action at all, they obfuscated and refused to give a straight answer. IT doesn't encourage you to actually engage, which is, of course, I believe the intention.

Interestingly earlier this year when I reported someone for scraping my car and driving off without stopping to exchange, they were all over it and spent a considerable amount of time falling over themselves keeping me informed of their actions and intentions. The obvious comparison to make is "risk of injury to person on bike?....whatever....." against "slight scraping of top layer of paint /lacquer? ...right on it, won't let these ne'er do wells get away with it sir!"