Cyclist reveals what it's really like to ride on Hull's roads

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 16th 20, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Cyclist reveals what it's really like to ride on Hull's roads

QUOTE:
A cyclist from East Yorkshire has described what it's really like on Hull's road day in day out.

The man, who wants to be known only as Mark, says he bikes down Beverley Road on a daily basis.

And although he thinks things are improving, he has told of what he often experiences while out on his bike each day.

The cyclist says while incidents tend to happen less frequently these days, they tend to be worse when they do.

"It’s improving, that’s for certain," he said. "I used to have probably one incident a week somebody left hooking me or something like that, and now it’s getting a lot less.

"The only difference is when you do have any kind of incident, it’s usually a lot worse. I have had some good ones and pretty much every time without fail it’s because people are not paying attention.

"All part of being a qualified driver is to be paying attention and beyond that to also keep up with the Highway Code and know what the rules are."

The man says one common problem is people "left hooking" him but says when drivers do something positive, he makes sure to thank them.

"People left hooking you is a big thing at the minute because of the bus lane," he said. "They don’t understand that you are supposed to let the cyclist through first then turn and people just don’t know it.

"If people do good stuff I say thank you. Because it’s too easier to spend your day yelling and shouting at people and never thank anybody for doing something nice and good and because they got thanked they will probably do it again."

The cyclist, who regards himself as being a "confident cyclist" has ridden across the world but says that doesn't mean he feels invincable.

"I still get scared like everybody else, probably different things but nonetheless," he admitted. "I ride down Beverley Road every morning and there have been moments where there’s lots of articulated goods trucks and you think 'thank god you’re over there and you have no option to come over here'.

"There’s a lot to look out for sometimes especially on certain sections of Beverley Road where it’s just completely crazy at times."

The man will sometimes share clips from his camera online to educate others..

"It [the camera] is attached to the bike," he said. "I actively started using cameras because if anything serious happened to me, I would like somebody to know what happened.

"Over the years, I’ve had drivers, especially on some of the little country lanes, just drive straight at you and not even reference you are there.

"So should anything really bad happen, at least my wife knows what happened..

"It’s [the camera] a non bias witness. I learn from it too because there’s been times I am like 'why did that happen'."

The man says he has also taken precautions by wearing high visibility clothing in the past but says that doesn't necessarily seem to work.

"One of my rain coats is bright fluorescent yellow with reflective bits all over it," he said. "I’ve actually noticed that I’m more of a target wearing high vis than I would be head to toe in black. It makes no sense. I don’t know if that’s because you are so visible people forget you’re there."

And on what his message would be to drivers from a cyclist's prospective, he said: "Give some space. Follow the rules. The rule is 1.5m, if you can give me 2m, 3m, please do.

"And use that left hand mirror, that’s the big one. I can see you driving by looking in your mirror. That’s how I tell whether you see me or not. It’s because I can’t see your face. The number of cars that are driving around and in that mirror all I can see is the road most of the time.
Cyclist describes what it's really like on Hull's roads every day - and has hopes to become 'cycle city'

"People just don’t use their left hand mirrors."

The cyclist says he hopes when he does share video clips online, others can take something from it.

"By putting it out on the web, people see them and you would hope learn from it," he said.

"I think people need to give Hull City Council a chance. The structure they are doing I think is amazing and, as a country, the UK is quite hopelessly behind in all of this when you compare it to Scandinavia.

"You see the stuff online and people shouting at the council. I think people need to give them a chance because this is a huge chance for the city.

"We will get there and you never know we might actually be a cycle city eventually."

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news...y-road-4517418