Bike rack number plate straight from the horse's mouth

Old January 16th 06, 04:33 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Bike rack number plate straight from the horse's mouth

Thought I would start a new thread as the other one was kind of getting all
Googled up.
I just went into the Qld Transport, stood around for an hour and was
basically told -
- yep it is totally illegal in Qld to have a rack without the cars number
plate
- yep the plate MUST be made by QLD Transport or you will be fined for a
home made job
- yep it costs $19.95
Wait a minute!!!!!
- sorry your current vehicle isnt customised! To have rack plates you must
have customised plates on your car. This means that until the day I die I
take those plates with me to any new vehicle I buy.
- cost of the customising - $60
- then you can buy your plates for the rack!
- can you just buy the plates and chuck em when you sell the car????
NO...... you must customise.

So "if" we go ahead, we pay $60 to customise car, then on top of that $19.95
for the rack plates, then we are legal.
So in 3 years time when the paint peels off our already 6 year old car
number plate, we pay out for a new one, of the same number. Sheesh probably
sell the damn car in a couple of years.

Oh well such is the Government we live under

Old January 16th 06, 04:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle

A suggestion for you. When you ask questions concerning state-level
rules (eg, traffic laws) you'll find it beneficial to all if you state
what state you're in

Also, when looking for traffic rule things, the vast majority (all?)
Australian states have their rules online, and they are pretty easy to
track down. Interpretation is another thing, and the merits of the
laws etc ... but the rules themselves are generally pretty easy to find
without spending an hour in a line at a government office. They put
stuff online so you don't have to do that.

Old January 16th 06, 05:13 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Thanks Bleve, but unfortuneately some of us dont have your ability to find
things online.
I had a good look at what I could search for and came up with nothing. Maybe
I am just dimwitted and need to talk to someone about it before it makes
sense. We are all just in this group to help each other, no doubt there are
alot of us out there who get more from asking here than any time spent
(wasted) online searching. Can you imagine if we all had the skills to find
infinite info on the web ? There would be no need for a newsgroup would
there?
Keep asking questions here I say. I have learnt more here about cycling than
in my entire 47 yrs falling off the bike!
I also find that when someone answers with "do a search" "go to this
website" I usually just move on down to someone who has actually answered
the question
Kathy

*if you click on Message then on block sender you can always block me*

Old January 16th 06, 05:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle

just us wrote:
Thanks Bleve, but unfortuneately some of us dont have your ability to find
things online.

I am actually trying to help you, by pointing you in the direction of
where to find things like legislation.

I had a good look at what I could search for and came up with nothing. Maybe
I am just dimwitted and need to talk to someone about it before it makes
sense.
We are all just in this group to help each other, no doubt there are
alot of us out there who get more from asking here than any time spent
(wasted) online searching. Can you imagine if we all had the skills to find
infinite info on the web ? There would be no need for a newsgroup would
there?

Newsgroups exist to foster discussions and provide assistance. You now
know where to find road rules (so you've learnt something, which is
good, right?), you also hopefully know now that if you have questions,
it's helpful to give context to them - eg to provide what state you're
in if it's a legal sort of thing.

Keep asking questions here I say. I have learnt more here about cycling than
in my entire 47 yrs falling off the bike!

Of course, but also, keep learning how to use the 'net effectively.
When I answered your original question I supplied the search terms you
could feed to google that would have saved you a hour at a QLD
government office standing or sitting in a queue reading 2 year old
trash magazines What would you rather do?

I also find that when someone answers with "do a search" "go to this
website" I usually just move on down to someone who has actually answered
the question

Then you will miss a lot of very useful information that a lot of
people have gone to a lot of trouble to put together to help you, but
who don't want to have to repeat replying to the same questions over
and over. I personally put up articles on my website about training
etc, which I provide for free (actually, it costs me a bit to host the
site etc, so I'm paying for the privilege of giving you information),
and I find it unfortunate if someone asks a question that I've
answered, and I point them at the article, that they would then ignore
that pointer.

Old January 16th 06, 05:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-01-16, Bleve (aka Bruce)

just us wrote:
Keep asking questions here I say. I have learnt more here about cycling than
in my entire 47 yrs falling off the bike!

Of course, but also, keep learning how to use the 'net effectively.
When I answered your original question I supplied the search terms you
could feed to google that would have saved you a hour at a QLD
government office standing or sitting in a queue reading 2 year old
trash magazines What would you rather do?

Some people apparently actually /like/ interacting with real people.
Weirdos.

--
TimC
So there you have it, supplicant. The Europeans aren't morally superior
Old January 16th 06, 06:23 AM posted to aus.bicycle

In aus.bicycle on Mon, 16 Jan 2006 14:33:24 +1000
just us wrote:
Thought I would start a new thread as the other one was kind of getting all
Googled up.
I just went into the Qld Transport, stood around for an hour and was
basically told -
- yep it is totally illegal in Qld to have a rack without the cars number
plate

So time for a roof rack for the bikes eh?

Zebee
Old January 16th 06, 06:33 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-01-16, Bleve (aka Bruce)

just us wrote:
Keep asking questions here I say. I have learnt more here about

cycling than
in my entire 47 yrs falling off the bike!

Of course, but also, keep learning how to use the 'net effectively.
When I answered your original question I supplied the search terms

you
could feed to google that would have saved you a hour at a QLD
government office standing or sitting in a queue reading 2 year old
trash magazines What would you rather do?

Some people apparently actually /like/ interacting with real people.
Weirdos.

--
TimC
So there you have it, supplicant. The Europeans aren't morally superior
to you [USAnians] at all. Just intellectually. -- The Internet Oracle

Yeah, I'd rather not trust the advice of any of the geek cyclists on
this group . Give me a web-site any day.

Although this is a site run by lawyers, for the use of lawyers, it is a
good source of info if you want to discuss what the law (on pretty much
anything in Australia) says:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/

(It may bore the pants off you if you are a non-lawyer, but there you
go)

SteveA

--
SteveA

Old January 16th 06, 06:36 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Bleve wrote:
A suggestion for you. When you ask questions concerning state-level
rules (eg, traffic laws) you'll find it beneficial to all if you state
what state you're in

Also, when looking for traffic rule things, the vast majority (all?)
Australian states have their rules online, and they are pretty easy to
track down. Interpretation is another thing, and the merits of the
laws etc ... but the rules themselves are generally pretty easy to find
without spending an hour in a line at a government office. They put
stuff online so you don't have to do that.

Apologies for the bad form re following up to my own posting, but as a
product of this discussion a lesson I've learnt from this is to hand
out the Vicroads number plate rules to people buying bike racks from
the LBS I work at. I now have 10 of them printed out so when we sell a
rack we can give this to our purchaser and hopefully save them from
making an expensive mistake. We don't sell that many of them, but
clearly there's a need for this to be part of the buying a bike rack
experience. I might print out the NSW ones & mail 'em to Terry for
good measure, along with a bag of peanuts

Old January 16th 06, 06:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle

SteveA wrote:
Although this is a site run by lawyers, for the use of lawyers, it is a
good source of info if you want to discuss what the law (on pretty much
anything in Australia) says:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/

(It may bore the pants off you if you are a non-lawyer, but there you
go)

Bore my pants off! Phew, good thing I got the warning before the page
opened!

Tam
Old January 16th 06, 06:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Am so happy you learnt something from here -

Lightweight Rear Rack For 700C Road Bike? Dane Buson General 0 January 9th 06 03:36 AM
Still Looking for a bike [email protected] UK 19 September 5th 04 10:25 AM
Rack questions har Techniques 14 June 25th 04 09:18 PM
How old were you when you got your first really nice bike? Brink General 43 November 13th 03 10:49 AM