Birmingham cycle strategy consultation

Old March 18th 08, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
naked_draughtsman

Default Birmingham cycle strategy consultation

I was sent this link yesterday about a consultation exercise about the
proposed cycle strategy being drawn up by Birmingham City Council.

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/Generat...4&EXPAND=12047

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/33jn7x

I've not looked at the full document yet but the web page lists the
following as they key objectives:

# Work with school children, staff and parents to encourage more
cycling to and from school.
# Continue the improvement of cycling accident statistics through road
safety education and training.
# Work closely with TravelWise affiliates and the Be Birmingham
Partnership to raise the profile of cycling.
# Develop and implement a Strategic Cycle Network across Birmingham

which look pretty good to me.
I'm not sure if that's a prioritised list but it's interesting that
building cycle lanes isn't top of the list which seems to be some
councils' solution to everything cycling. I wonder if the 'education
and training' will be just for cyclists or whether it will be for
other road users as well.

peter
Old March 25th 08, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MJ Ray

naked_draughtsman wrote:
I was sent this link yesterday about a consultation exercise about the
proposed cycle strategy being drawn up by Birmingham City Council.

I took part in a consultation to draw up a walking and cycling strategy
for Weston-super-Mare last year. We've yet to see the full report, but
the things we know are good and roughly in line with the points posted
from that Birmingham one.

Do all you can to get cyclists to respond to the consultation. At least
here, there didn't seem many responses to the full consultation, so it
should be possible for cyclists to influence it, rather than certain
campaign groups.

[...]
I'm not sure if that's a prioritised list but it's interesting that
building cycle lanes isn't top of the list which seems to be some
councils' solution to everything cycling. [...]

Is it actually on the top of any council's list? I've noticed that
they're often pretty low down a list of alternatives, but the same few
silly reasons are used to avoid doing any of the better options. (For
example, it is not safe to leave cyclists on-road through junctions...
so let's add two junctions (a split and a merge) for cyclists and bring
them into conflict with pedestrians on the path - great!)

Regards,
Cycling on Satellite TV: http://www.cyclingfans.net/satellite
Free Sat TV FAQ: http://mjr.towers.org.uk/blog/2006/astefaq
Webmaster cooperative @ WsM, Somerset http://www.ttllp.co.uk/

Cycle Route Planner for Birmingham? dransfield UK 3 March 8th 08 02:47 AM
Cycle Training Consultation Tom Crispin UK 54 July 17th 06 10:03 PM
Anyone going to Birmingham plumsie Unicycling 4 May 4th 06 02:50 PM
URC Birmingham Meet Richard Bates UK 0 February 10th 05 09:16 PM
DfT 'cycle facility' consultation. Last Chance to respond! Howard UK 6 August 11th 04 08:32 PM