dt swiss rims

Old May 22nd 12, 01:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mark cleary

Default dt swiss rims

I want to build a wheelset and mayb use Dt Swiss 450 or 465s with a 415 in
on the front. Seems the 450s and way cheaper and are pinned rather than
wielded. I need some good opinions on if I pinned or wielded, make a huge
difference. I can get the 450s for less than 1/2 the price of 465 or a 415
on the front. Seems the thought is wield are slight better. I take opinions
fire away.

Deacon Mark Cleary
Epiphany Catholic Church

Old May 22nd 12, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On May 22, 1:55*am, "mark cleary" wrote:
I want to build a wheelset and mayb use Dt Swiss 450 or 465s with a 415 in
on the front. Seems the 450s and way cheaper and are pinned rather than
wielded. I need some good opinions on if I pinned or wielded, make a huge
difference. *I can get the 450s for less than 1/2 the price of 465 or a 415
on the front. Seems the thought is wield are slight better. I take opinions
fire away.

Deacon Mark Cleary
Epiphany Catholic Church

A pinned rim is more likely to fail when you crash. If you have
broken your femur this might not be of prime concern.
Should you intend not to routinely punish the rims by high speed over
rocky roads then the sleeved and pinned rims are adequate. Just don't
try to undersize the spokes. If you intend to ride Belgian pave at
40mph every week then perhaps a welded rim is more in order. Usual
choice, 28, 32 or 36 spokes in 15swg cross 3. Tension spokes
according to response on the surfaces you have most difficulty.
A bigger difference will be your choice of tyre. Start with the most
appropriate tyre and choose your rim to suit it best.
Old May 22nd 12, 05:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On May 21, 5:55*pm, "mark cleary" wrote:
I want to build a wheelset and mayb use Dt Swiss 450 or 465s with a 415 in
on the front. Seems the 450s and way cheaper and are pinned rather than
wielded. I need some good opinions on if I pinned or wielded, make a huge
difference. *I can get the 450s for less than 1/2 the price of 465 or a 415
on the front. Seems the thought is wield are slight better. I take opinions
fire away.

Deacon Mark Cleary
Epiphany Catholic Church

I've got the 450 on my rear wheel. It built up easily, and it is
staying true at 100-110kfg with linseed oil spoke goop, and I beat it
pretty hard, and I weigh about 200lbs. Pinned or welded makes no
practical difference so long as the seam is reasonably straight. I
don't remember any problems with the seam on the 450. It hasn't
cracked at the spoke holes, but I've only put 500 or so miles on it.

-- Jay Beattie.

Why wooden rims are superior to carbon fibre reinforced plastic rims Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 12 September 17th 10 04:42 PM
Wide rims built by siamese mounting skinny rims meb[_60_] Techniques 10 April 22nd 08 01:27 PM
DT Swiss RR 1.1 Rims CG Techniques 0 June 21st 06 08:00 PM
DT Swiss RR 1.1 rims? [email protected] Techniques 52 January 4th 06 09:43 PM
FA:Mavic CXP 33 Rims, Hugi 240 Hubs, Dt Swiss spokes dobr24 Marketplace 0 November 1st 04 03:21 AM