Rollers?

Old September 19th 08, 05:03 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
uniaddict

Default Rollers?

Hey I was thinking maybe I could try using a set of rollers for distance
training. You know, kinda like those things bikes train on or a
dynamometer type deal. I thought of the idea after looking at some
bike rollers and thinking hey this might work for unicycles. I never
really came up with a reason why it wouldn't work. I would totally be
up for building or purchasing a set of rollers as long as they would be
physically possible to ride on them. How awesome would it be to train
without worrying about getting stranded, run over, or lost. I could
ride while playing videogames even. So what does everyone else
think, yay or nay.

--
uniaddict

Any bay area riders down for a muni or coker ride PM me!
'SixSixOne' (http://sixsixone.com/)
*85 foot coast!*
Old September 19th 08, 05:17 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

It may be possible, but it'd be hard.

A treadmill would be better IMO.

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What next? 'IUF skill levels'
(http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/)*'
Street'
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Street)*'unicycletips.com'
(http://unicycletips.com/)*'Trials class system'
(http://tinyurl.com/yqpvxk)*'Trials Building'
Old September 19th 08, 05:18 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
StephenH

I suspect it would work a lot better just to ride a bike on the rollers
or get an exercise bike in the first place.

As to feasibility- no clue, doesn't sound promising, nor like a skill
worth spending time on.

--
StephenH
Old September 19th 08, 05:21 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Cookies_and_Mischief

Sounds like a cool idea to me, it'd be fun to play the wii while riding
one

--
Cookies_and_Mischief
Old September 19th 08, 05:35 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mill_mobile

not possible for a uni IMO...
Balance would be too much of an issue as you cannot fix it upright.

--
mill_mobile
Old September 19th 08, 06:19 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
uniaddict

I thought it would be a cool idea. As long as it works which I think it
will. You could train while doing other things which would give you way
more time in the saddle. You could ride while watching the tour de
france.

--
uniaddict

Any bay area riders up for a ride PM me!
Old September 19th 08, 07:33 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pkittle

I'm relatively certain that this will not be a success. Having ridden on
rollers on a bike for several years, the way they work is exclusively
through side-to-side balancing; the design of them (placement of the
wheels) makes fore-aft movement impossible. When you're on a uni, as
you lean forward, you pedal faster to compensate and bring the wheel
under you again. You can't physically bring the wheel under you on
rollers if you lean forward or backward.

The treadmill idea would definitely work better, although I'm not so
sure about it, either.

--
pkittle

*==========================
Peter Kittle * Chico, CA
"The Revolution is just a t-shirt away."
--Billy Bragg
Old September 19th 08, 07:56 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mill_mobile

pkittle wrote:
I'm relatively certain that this will not be a success. Having ridden on
rollers on a bike for several years, the way they work is exclusively
through side-to-side balancing; the design of them (placement of the
wheels) makes fore-aft movement impossible. When you're on a uni, as
you lean forward, you pedal faster to compensate and bring the wheel
under you again. You can't physically bring the wheel under you on
rollers if you lean forward or backward.

The treadmill idea would definitely work better, although I'm not so
sure about it, either.

Exactly what i was gunna say but i didnt have time at work to bust out
the words

--
mill_mobile
Old September 19th 08, 08:02 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
feel the light

It seems the idea is to simulate the uni riding experience without
experiencing the horrors of fresh air in your town ?

Just kidding, I don't live in Beverly Hills myself, but one of the
coolest things to do with a 36 in my area is to ride along sidewalks,
looking over everyone's fences.

As far as watching videos, movies, etc on a uni, that's how I learned
to idle. There is a whole lot to learn while sitting on a 20 watching
the tube.

I don't see rollers helping. Just use any small wheeled uni, on the
floor of your living room. Uni riding is all about balance and practice
being on a uni.

--
feel the light
Old September 19th 08, 08:31 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
semach.the.monkey

I've tried it, and it's horrible! There just isn't any feedback coming
from the unicycle to let you know if you're leaning slightly too far
forwards or backwards until it's too late to do anything about it.
Roger from UDC tried just after me and described the feeling as being
similar to coasting but you're pedaling at the same time.

To be honest, if it's just for building up your leg muscles, you're
probably just better off with an exercise bike.

STM

--
semach.the.monkey

on rollers [email protected] Racing 34 September 20th 06 11:27 PM
1 hr on rollers = ??? toadman General 4 March 11th 06 12:51 AM
Rollers Dave Chadderton UK 3 January 9th 05 10:43 PM
WTD: Rollers paul.obinson24 UK 22 December 29th 03 08:09 PM
training wheels for rollers revisited -- front roller placement, steel pipe rollers F1 Techniques 1 November 25th 03 04:46 PM