NE Italy + Dolomites high passes report

Old November 12th 08, 05:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ken Roberts

Default NE Italy + Dolomites high passes report

Over the last few years I rode up and down lots of paved roads over high
passes of northeast Italy, mostly riding single-day loop routes. I found
lots of fun + pretty riding in the Dolomites (not a surprise) and other
mountains, and I'd gladly do lots of it again. This year I finally connected
it all into a continuous route, so I've ridden every kilometer west to east
from the Bernina pass thru Bormio and Bolzano to Cortina d'Ampezzo +
Misurina -- or from the Olympic ski resort of St Moritz to the Olympic ski
resort of Cortina. And because I rode so much of it as loops, I've also
covered a second route from east to west. I put together a set of reports +
suggestions about the high passes:
http://roberts-1.com/b/v/e/08b/#nort...h_passes_08sep
+
map:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...5,3.971558&z=8
(or click the link for the map on the reports page)

The reports have lots of ideas about loop rides and up-and-back climbs that
could be done while spending several days at a single base. Also ideas about
multi-day "moving on" tours: not just one route, but different alternatives
for many of the stages. I say which roads I liked best and why, and which
parts I didn't like and would avoid.

.. . . I'd be glad to hear other suggestions (and corrections) for routes +
riding.

I also looked at Jobst Brandt's 2004 route into northeast Italy, and noticed
that it's different from mine:
(1) different way to get from Bernina pass to Bormio + Gavia + Stelvio.
(2) different way to get from Bormio+Gavia+Stevio to Bozen / Bolzano in the
Adige river valley.
(3) different way to get from the Adige river valley up to Canazei and the
heart of the Dolomites.

I think the first two result from just differences in style and preferences.
The last one is because the road going east up the Eggental toward the
Karerpass / Passo Costalunga has changed a lot due to recent tunnel
construction, and I investigated some alternatives.

Ken