Choosing a MUni

Old January 2nd 09, 01:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
monocyclism

Default Choosing a MUni

I recently bought my first unicycle from Unicycle.com. It is called a
24" Dodger. It was classed as a beginners model and to my untrained eye
it does look a little basic compared to more expensive unicycles I see.
This is a link to it:

http://tinyurl.com/a3ol6g

Now I want to upgrade. I have learnt to ride and have begun to take
this unicycle off road - as can be seen in my avatar pic. It is awkward
because it doesn't have a front handle on the seat (I just grip the
front), the tyre is not off-road and all-together I expect I am pushing
it too far - even though I make progress and don't fall off to much on
slightly uneven ground.

My problem is I dont know what MUni specification I need - i.e. size of
wheel, spokes and hub specification, crank length, the best seat for the
job etc.

Will I find a really big noticeable difference between riding a more
expensive MUni off-road compared to my learner model? Where could the
difference show? I appreciate the tyre is a big issue - but what size,
what profile, what pressure? What about the seat? I realise the seat
handle is an improvement - but can the actual seat itself be designed
better to sit on - owing to, say, a better shape?

Any feedback I can get would be appreciated.

--
monocyclism
Old January 2nd 09, 03:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
scoope

Mono

Depends on the style of off-road you wish to do. If you want to do
technical downhill you will need a 24" but if you intend a more XC style
of off-road then a 26" or a 29" will be the way to go.

For 24" the Nimbus Muni is a great uni - reasonably priced and good
quality, the Nimbus can be upgraded by ordering the Kris Holm Moment
cranks at the time of purchase. Next up is the Kris Holm 24" - more
expensive but has a lighter aluminium frame.

Nimbus also make a 26" version of their Muni and the same can be said
for their 26" as I said for the 24".

At the 29" spot - the Kris Holm is probably the best bet.

As to crank length - with a 24" get a 150mm a this seems to be the
standard and you learned with 152mm cranks. With the 26" it will be a
toss up between 150mm and 165 mm.

With the 29" probably dual hole cranks - 125mm/150mm.

I must say I have read your progress links and I am truly impressed at
how quickly you have attained the skills you have so far!

Cheers

Simon

--
scoope
Old January 2nd 09, 04:10 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Michaelgoround

scoope;1162622 wrote:
[...]

+1 on that, this guy know's his stuff.

--
Michaelgoround
Old January 2nd 09, 04:18 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
innes

I think Scoope has covered it well.

I think the distance you are planning and how extreme you want to go
will decide what you should go for as much as price.

The Nimbus Munis are great unicycles to get started on for off road.
They all have Magura brake mounts now, and have ISIS cranks, so you can
upgrade now or later when you have some spare cash.

I have a Kris Holm 24", and a Kris Holm 29", and they are great. The
Kris Holm unicycles are expensive, but they are really nice. The 2007
models are very good value but the 24" ones seem to be finished now.

If you decide to go for a 29" Kris Holm, I would recommend getting the
dual hole cranks. I used mine in the summer for a duathlon, riding 18
miles on the road with a road tyre, and the pedals in the 125mm setting,
then fitted the off road tyre and put the pedals back to the 150mm
setting for going off road again after the event. If I could only have
one, I would go for the 29", as it is a bit more versitile.

Innes

--
innes
Old January 3rd 09, 09:33 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
monocyclism

Thanks guys for the feedback. It's given me something to work on.

--
monocyclism
Old January 3rd 09, 09:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
simonb

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74665 the one im
selling
http://tinyurl.com/64v5p the unicycle new

I'm selling my Qu ax 24" MUni if your intersted.
Its a bit heavy but the chances of it breaking are very low.
It costs £223 new on unicycle.com (i think) and i want about
£140 for it.
One small issue, it doesnt have a seat (i snapped it, lol) but i would
recommend getting a Kris holm fusion freeride saddle.

If you just want parts, i know marcus collings, (sparky marky) is
intersted in the frame, seatpost and clamp. so if you would just like
the wheel i am happy to negotiate with you and Marcus.

--
simonb

)-540unispin-'O, 3rd

360 unispin-3rd
Old January 4th 09, 04:54 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

The Nimbus' are a great value. If you get one make sure it's a '09.
According to UDC a 2.3" WTB Stout will fit the 29er, I don't know about
the 2.4" Racing Ralph. There's some debate as to if the frame can be
modified to fit a geared hub (I don't see why not since some of the
earlier '07 KH's needed it to fit that hub).

A couple of pluses of the KH is it has a 5 mm wider rim, it's lighter,
and can definitely be upgraded to a geared hub. The sizes a 19, 24,
29 & 36", no 26" (unless you put your rim in a 29" frame).

Unless you intend to progress to doing big drops, you should consider
upgrading to the double hole cranks (I've read they're O.K. up to ~ 4 ft
w/ a rollout)

The wider KH rim is virtually the same weight as the Nimbus' (a
rebranded '05 KH), is a bit less likely to pinch flat, or fold over on
large side hops/landings. Also it gives a flatter profile giving
slightly more grip straight up/downhill, and a bit more stable loose
sand or mud.

On my Muni, 38 mm rim, a 3" Duro has a rounder profile than the stock
tire (it'd be flatter w/ a wider rim), 2.6" Kenda Kinnetics. W/ my rim
the Duro's more twitchy in loose dirt/mud, is harder to get it to run
straight, not S's, and turns differently at mod-high speeds (lean
instead of pivot). For now I don't feel the added volume is worth it
for me. I very briefly rode a '07 KH w/ a 3" Duro and noticed the same
things but way less, so much so that it may be insignificant compared to
the issues I have w/ my rim.

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What next? 'IUF skill levels'
(http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/)*'
Street'
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Street)*'unicycletips.com'
(http://unicycletips.com/)*'Trials class system'
(http://tinyurl.com/yqpvxk)*'Trials Building'
Old January 4th 09, 05:11 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
goodmanje

I bought the Nimbus 29" Uni and upgraded it with 150mm KH cranks and a
WTB Stout tire. Works great for the trails we have here in Northeast
Texas. Mostly flat with short ups and downs. With the 150mm cranks I can
stand up and muscle my way up some pretty steep inclines.

http://tinyurl.com/8hheuq

I also just got a Nimbus 24" Muni for Christmas. I'm actually having
trouble figuring out what to do with it.... It's too exhausting to ride
the types of trails around these parts. I've begun building a short
technical set of trails on some local family land. Kind of a less
technical, longer distance trials course. The 24 is heavy and I don't
have much experience so it's been a challenge. Having a lot of trouble
hopping over obstacles of any real height.....

http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1331

Point is, Nimus makes really nice affordable unicycles. The basic
Nimbus uni's can be upgraded to make them trail worthy.

--
goodmanje

Help on choosing new bike Shark Marketplace 1 May 26th 08 01:30 PM
Choosing a BB [email protected] Techniques 9 August 9th 07 02:28 AM
Help choosing jacket GazK UK 18 July 21st 06 01:32 PM
need some advice on choosing a new uni. red_rider Unicycling 0 April 1st 06 10:04 PM
choosing my first mtb J_T_Magnino Mountain Biking 5 May 31st 05 10:12 PM