need scott self energizing brakes

Old January 19th 04, 07:14 AM
limahl

Default need scott self energizing brakes

need scott self energizing brakes

hi there,

I'm looking for a set of 80's scott-peterson self energizing brakes.
Thank you,
Limahl

please reply by email: ylimahlAThotmailDOTcom

Old January 19th 04, 07:35 PM
Zog The Undeniable

limahl wrote:
need scott self energizing brakes

hi there,

I'm looking for a set of 80's scott-peterson self energizing brakes.

Try www.sjscycles.com

BTW: I have them on the back of my tourer. They make very little
difference to stopping power.

Old January 19th 04, 10:02 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles

I'm looking for a set of 80's scott-peterson self energizing brakes.

Try www.sjscycles.com

BTW: I have them on the back of my tourer. They make very little
difference to stopping power.

They shouldn't make a whole lot of difference on the rear brake, since it
generally doesn't take that much power to skid a rear wheel. The front
brake is where superior braking power may be required... unless it's a
tandem. I used the self-energizing brakes on my tandem and found they
definitely improved braking power (but please note you need to take them
apart to clean & grease them from time to time; otherwise they'll work worse
than a normal brake).

--Mike--
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

Old January 20th 04, 02:01 AM
Mike S.

"Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" wrote
in message m...
I'm looking for a set of 80's scott-peterson self energizing brakes.

Try www.sjscycles.com

BTW: I have them on the back of my tourer. They make very little
difference to stopping power.

They shouldn't make a whole lot of difference on the rear brake, since it
generally doesn't take that much power to skid a rear wheel. The front
brake is where superior braking power may be required... unless it's a
tandem. I used the self-energizing brakes on my tandem and found they
definitely improved braking power (but please note you need to take them
apart to clean & grease them from time to time; otherwise they'll work

worse
than a normal brake).

Scott SEs work like a champ in certain applications! Tandems being the best
use. If you can find some, buy extra!

Mike

Old January 20th 04, 01:25 PM

Limahl who? writes:

I'm looking for a set of 80's scott-peterson self energizing brakes.
Thank you,

You might consider why such brakes are no longer offered. We have had
long discussions here on the merit of such brakes. Being a rider who
demands much from brakes and have worked in automotive brake design, I
can assure you that the self energizing brake is an invitation to
crash for bicycling because the ratio between application force (hand
lever) and braking effect is unpredictable. For this reason disk
brakes were introduced on passenger motor vehicles. Trucks still use
drums because they must dissipate far more power with their huge
surface cooling. However, they make the long black dual skid marks
commonly seen on highways for lack of control.

Non-linear (self energizing) brakes are a significant safety hazard
for bicycles and motorcycles and a moderate one for double track
vehicles. Old timers will recall how drum (self energizing) brakes on
cars occasionally locked solid and skidded to a stop from a light
touch on the brake pedal.

please reply by email: ylimahlAThotmailDOTcom

Please read the newsgroup.

Jobst Brandt

posting problems, or contact the moderators, please see
http://rbor.org/

Old January 20th 04, 03:37 PM
David Damerell

Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles wrote:
I'm looking for a set of 80's scott-peterson self energizing brakes.

Try www.sjscycles.com
BTW: I have them on the back of my tourer. They make very little
difference to stopping power.

They shouldn't make a whole lot of difference on the rear brake, since it
generally doesn't take that much power to skid a rear wheel. The front
brake is where superior braking power may be required...

SJS Cycles (and Andy's Bikes - www.andysbikes.com, where I got mine from)
have the Suntour XC brakes, where only the rear brake is SE. A front SE
brake might well be a cheap way to get a flying lesson, which as I
understand it is why Suntour's lawyers declined to make them. The original
Pedersen brakes are SE front and rear, but finding them would be a neat
trick these days.
--
David Damerell Kill the tomato!

Old January 20th 04, 05:40 PM
Mike DeMicco

In article ,
David Damerell wrote:

A front SE
brake might well be a cheap way to get a flying lesson, which as I
understand it is why Suntour's lawyers declined to make them. The original
Pedersen brakes are SE front and rear, but finding them would be a neat
trick these days.

That's largely a myth. I ran Scott SEs on the front of my mountain bike
for years without ever going over the bars. The brake can be made less
powerful by lengthening the straddle cable. They were powerful brakes,
but regular cantilevers (properly adjusted) worked fine too; v-brakes
being a better choice today.

--
Mike DeMicco
(Remove the REMOVE_THIS from my email address to reply.)