Windsor Bikes

Old June 12th 04, 02:58 PM
Gary Cole

Default Windsor Bikes

Does anyone know anything,good or bad, about Windsor Bikes? I'm
planing on buying one but cant get any independent info. Thanks Gary
Old June 16th 04, 08:01 PM
rockthrowjoe

I have enjoyed my Windsor Trent for the past two months. I was thinking
about getting a Kennet but I like the Trent's color scheme better (black
on the Trent vs. silver/purple on the Kennet).

The difference between the Trent and the Kennet are the brakes, bottom
bracket, and crank. They both use the same frame and other Ultegra
components. In the long run it will be more expensive to upgrade, but it
is easier to upgrade the comps than to have the bike completely
repainted.

I love this bike, it is light, responsive, and smooth. I ride a couple
of times a week with a group (we avg about 21mph over 36 miles). I've
probably put 200-250 miles on it and have loved it every minute.

I got mine at "bikesdirect.com" for $895 about a week before they raised
the price to $995 (which is what I think it still is now). You can't
beat free shipping, no sales tax, and an awesome deal. After I assembled
the bike myself, I just had a friend of mine who races tune in the rear
derailleur and I was set to go.

I can't say enough about how much I love this bike.

Old June 18th 04, 04:48 PM
4rabbit

4rabbit wrote:

Hi ....

I just purchased a winston dover on ebay. I having a hard time finding
information on these bikes as well as being able to speak with anyone.
Are winston good bikes....... or could you find the same thing at Sam's?
It has a Sora 24 shifter .... is this ok. I'm new into biking and am
getting a bit discouraged I may have bought the wrong bike.

Old June 18th 04, 10:48 PM
rockthrowjoe

4rabbit wrote:
Hi ....
I just purchased a winston dover on ebay. I having a hard time finding
information on these bikes as well as being able to speak with anyone.
Are winston good bikes....... or could you find the same thing at Sam's?
It has a Sora 24 shifter .... is this ok. I'm new into biking and am
getting a bit discouraged I may have bought the wrong bike.

Sora is a good entry-level componenet group. It brakes good and shifts
good. Really it depends on what your interests are for biking. If you
are just going to be riding on normal rides then I'm sure a Sora group
will do fine. Racing or more competitive riding would require a better
group. The Dover looks to have a good aluminum frame and chro-moly fork.
As you get better you may want to improve the bike some more.

Check out the website below. It has some great pointers about
purchasing a bike.

http://bicyclesportshop.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=83

Good Luck.

Old June 19th 04, 07:30 AM
Rick Reas

Gary Cole wrote:
Does anyone know anything,good or bad, about Windsor Bikes? I'm planing
on buying one but cant get any independent info. Thanks Gary

Gary,

There are a couple other threads on this site that deal with Windsors.
Lots of good info. I bought a Windsor Kennet and I absolutely love it. I
won't repeat all the detail I posted on the other threads-I hope you've
already found it, or can. But suffice to say that after an exhaustive
search I couldn't find a better deal than the Kennet and more
importantly, the quality of the bike is exceptional.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to help.

Good luck.

Rick