Marin Rift Zone '03 vs '04

Old April 19th 04, 10:58 AM
Jason

Default Marin Rift Zone '03 vs '04

Hi all,

Anyone have an opinion on the Marin Rift Zone '03 compared to an '04
model. I noticed that the '03 didn't come with disc brakes, is this a
problem? Any other major difference's. Can't decide if it is OK to
get a second hand '03 for maybe £800-900 or get an new '04 for
£1500...

Any info greatly received....

Jason
Old April 19th 04, 06:33 PM
Peter B

"Jason" wrote in message
m...

Anyone have an opinion on the Marin Rift Zone '03 compared to an '04
model. I noticed that the '03 didn't come with disc brakes, is this a
problem? Any other major difference's. Can't decide if it is OK to
get a second hand '03 for maybe £800-900 or get an new '04 for
£1500...

The brakes depend on where and when you ride, the gnarlier and wetter the
downhill the more suited disc brakes become.
Bear in mind so long as the '03 has disc hubs (and I'd guess it has) you can
fit a set of Hope Mini Monos for £200.
If you mainly ride dryish XC trails then the lack of discs isn't a problem
and you can always add them later if you feel you'd benefit.

The S/H solution depends on the usage the bikes had, if you can get one
that's had little use for £800 then spend another £200 on the brakes you're
still quids in, the money saved could be invested in a better fork than the
Skareb for instance should you find it lacking.

However, a bike that's been well used for a year will have seen off the
chainrings, cassette and chain, and perhaps have serious rim wear if not
disc equipped, not a problem if recently replaced but will eat into your S/H
bargain if you have to replace them shortly.

You could end up with a bike that's had a little use but is fitted with kit
that suits you for the same price as a brand new bike that you may want to
upgrade as some components don't suit you. Yer pays yer money ;-)

AFAIK the '04 fork has 100mm of travel against the '03s 80mm, but you need
to verify this.

Personally I'd be reluctant to pay full price on a new mtb if I could,
without too much trouble, locate a very good S/H one or could find a deal
on last years model.

Review at:
http://www.bikemagic.com/review/revi.../15465/v/2/sp/

--
Regards,
Pete

Old April 19th 04, 11:25 PM
James Annan

Peter B wrote:

"Jason" wrote in message
m...

Anyone have an opinion on the Marin Rift Zone '03 compared to an '04
model. I noticed that the '03 didn't come with disc brakes, is this a
problem? Any other major difference's. Can't decide if it is OK to
get a second hand '03 for maybe ?800-900 or get an new '04 for
?1500...

The brakes depend on where and when you ride, the gnarlier and wetter the
downhill the more suited disc brakes become.
Bear in mind so long as the '03 has disc hubs (and I'd guess it has) you can
fit a set of Hope Mini Monos for ?200.

Also bear in mind if you get disks that the Marins have quite a
reputation for coming with the worst QR imaginable. Of course it's the
fork design that is the basis of the problem, but the risk can still be
bigger or smaller depending on the QR.

http://www.marin.co.uk/marin-2004/reviews.php?ID=47

1. This is a different model but I think they all come with the same
no-name QR (not sure though).

2. This is not a unique report!

James
by treading on the toes of giants.

Old April 20th 04, 08:35 AM
Simon Brooke

in message , Jason
') wrote:

Hi all,

Anyone have an opinion on the Marin Rift Zone '03 compared to an '04
model. I noticed that the '03 didn't come with disc brakes, is this a
problem? Any other major difference's. Can't decide if it is OK to
get a second hand '03 for maybe £800-900 or get an new '04 for
£1500...

Disk brakes are nice in exceptionally filthy conditions, and hydraulic
disks are very low maintenance. But they weigh a bit more than Vs or
cantis and replacement pads (which you don't need that often) are
expensive. So like everything else on a bike it's a trade off and for a
general purpose off road pootling about cross country bike they aren't
necessary and may not even be the best choice, irrespective of cost.

;; ... exposing the violence incoherent in the system...

Old April 20th 04, 09:05 AM
Jason

Thanks for the replies. I will opt for the 2nd hand one and see how I
go on without disc brakes.

Appreciate you both responding!

Jason

Old April 24th 04, 11:56 AM
Peter B

"James Annan" wrote in message
Also bear in mind if you get disks that the Marins have quite a
reputation for coming with the worst QR imaginable. Of course it's the
fork design that is the basis of the problem, but the risk can still be
bigger or smaller depending on the QR.

Funny you should mention that.
On a ride last year my friends front QR came loose on his disc equipped
Mount Vision, he was convinced he had tightened it properly when fitting the
wheel at the car park a couple of hours prior.
He never had a repeat until a month or so ago. He was unaware of the
controversey re discs/qrs until I filled him in, needless to say he's bought
replacements.
Personally I use Shimano QRs as they seem strong and reliable.
--
Regards,
Pete