A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Aluminum bikes

Old July 8th 19, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Aluminum bikes

On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 1:58:38 AM UTC-5, AK wrote:

I did not see any mention of how to find the leak. :-)

Suppose I could carry a small spray bottle of soapy water

The VAST MAJORITY of the time it is very easy to find a leak in a tube. You inflate it and hold it up to your ear and/or cheek. You will hear or feel the air coming out. ONLY in very rare instances do you need water and/or the soap bubbles to find a leak. And then its a very slow leak that you could easily get home riding. Just stop every couple miles and pump it up again. Its a very, very slow leak so will hold air for awhile.
Ads
Old July 8th 19, 09:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman
external usenet poster

Default Aluminum bikes

" writes:

The VAST MAJORITY of the time it is very easy to find a leak in a
tube. You inflate it and hold it up to your ear and/or cheek. You
will hear or feel the air coming out. ONLY in very rare instances do
you need water and/or the soap bubbles to find a leak. And then its a
very slow leak that you could easily get home riding. Just stop every
couple miles and pump it up again. Its a very, very slow leak so will
hold air for awhile.

The text has been clipped, but I understood the question as "How do I
find the leak if I don't remove the wheel, and just pull out a section
of tube?". To which I had no answer, never having done that.

Once a tube is out, I generally hold it near the lips, which are more
sensitive than the cheek, and allow looking directly at the suspect
spot. Sadly, the ears don't work as well as they once did.
Old July 10th 19, 01:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default Aluminum bikes

On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 5:56:40 PM UTC-7, Ralph Barone wrote:
wrote:

The VAST MAJORITY of the time it is very easy to find a leak in a tube.
You inflate it and hold it up to your ear and/or cheek. You will hear or
feel the air coming out. ONLY in very rare instances do you need water
and/or the soap bubbles to find a leak. And then its a very slow leak
that you could easily get home riding. Just stop every couple miles and
pump it up again. Its a very, very slow leak so will hold air for awhile.

Replace the tube and fix it when you get home (but make sure there’s no
shrapnel left in the tire first).

I had a flat on my tubeless this morning. Pumped it up, went in and coming out it was flat again. I pulled out the other bike and it had my Look Keo Blades on it and my shoes fit Delta. Changed the pedals. Returning from the ride I decided that the flat was from the sealant drying up as they do after several months.

Took a bottle of sealant and injected about an once and a half and pumped the tire up. All is AOK.

Took the chains off both bikes. One of them needed tossing and I had a spare new chain. I have this solution that would take the paint off of a battleship so I put the chains in it. First the new one since it cuts that new chain grease off and you can't even see any results. Replaced it, used some liquid wax on it and all is well. Discovered I have a set of Delta pedals that are the same weight as the Keo Blades. The problem was that whoever I bought them from must have been using them for cyclocross and the bearings were goners. I had another set of Look 226's and pulled the shaft and bearing out of those, cleaned the internal rollers with Triflow and installed them working like new again.

The old chain was black even though I had cleaned it with Rock and Roll a week ago. Put it in that solution and waited 20 minutes and rinsed it off and it looked like a new chain. Measure it for wear but it is a gold chain and they hardly wear. None detectable. Installed, waxed and left it to dry.

Made a hot dog and am ready to go re-watch the TdF. Where's my beer?
Old July 10th 19, 06:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Aluminum bikes

On Tuesday, July 9, 2019 at 7:44:09 PM UTC-5, Tom Kunich wrote:
wrote:

I had a flat on my tubeless this morning. Pumped it up, went in and coming out it was flat again. I pulled out the other bike and it had my Look Keo Blades on it and my shoes fit Delta. Changed the pedals. Returning from the ride I decided that the flat was from the sealant drying up as they do after several months.

Took a bottle of sealant and injected about an once and a half and pumped the tire up. All is AOK.

Took the chains off both bikes. One of them needed tossing and I had a spare new chain. I have this solution that would take the paint off of a battleship so I put the chains in it. First the new one since it cuts that new chain grease off and you can't even see any results. Replaced it, used some liquid wax on it and all is well. Discovered I have a set of Delta pedals that are the same weight as the Keo Blades. The problem was that whoever I bought them from must have been using them for cyclocross and the bearings were goners. I had another set of Look 226's and pulled the shaft and bearing out of those, cleaned the internal rollers with Triflow and installed them working like new again.

The old chain was black even though I had cleaned it with Rock and Roll a week ago. Put it in that solution and waited 20 minutes and rinsed it off and it looked like a new chain. Measure it for wear but it is a gold chain and they hardly wear. None detectable. Installed, waxed and left it to dry.

Do not know what TdF is. Maybe you can enlighten me.

I bought a tube of Easy Lube by White Lightning bicycle lubricant a couple of weeks ago.

Have not had a chance to use it yet.

Since covering my bike with a tarp, the rusting of my chain has dropped considerably.

Old July 10th 19, 09:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Aluminum bikes

I had a flat on my tubeless this morning. Pumped it up, went in and coming out it was flat again. Returning from the ride I decided that the flat was from the sealant drying up as they do after several months.

I think Chalo had a post recently about all the hassle of using tubeless. You just confirmed what he wrote.

Took the chains off both bikes. One of them needed tossing and I had a spare new chain. I have this solution that would take the paint off of a battleship so I put the chains in it. First the new one since it cuts that new chain grease off and you can't even see any results. Replaced it, used some liquid wax on it and all is well.

So you removed the best chain lube, applied in the best way possible at the factory.

Measure it for wear but it is a gold chain and they hardly wear.

You honestly believe "gold" chains hardly wear? Do you think the gold plating, coloring, is somehow extra hard to resist wear? Or is it far more likely "gold" chains don't wear because they are so pretty that you never ever ride that bike and keep it hanging up in the living room all pretty as a trophy. With the "gold" chain.
Old July 10th 19, 09:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Aluminum bikes

On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 7:36:35 AM UTC+2, AK wrote:
wrote:

Tour de France the biggest race for Pro riders. We, wannabe racers like to watch every stage. We see things that non racers don't see. Non racers like Frank can watch also just for the scenery. All good. Vivre la France, liberte, egalite, fraternite. I'm off for a ride, come home, shower, have some painting to do while the TV is on watching today's stage every now and then.. Well spend day ;-). Tomorrows stage will be interesting. Rode most of the parcours myself a couple of years ago in the pooring rain.

Lou
Old July 10th 19, 09:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Aluminum bikes

On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 12:36:35 AM UTC-5, AK wrote:

TdF is Tour de France bicycle race. Its on the 4th stage now.