Eddy Merckx

Old March 5th 21, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Eddy Merckx

On Thursday, March 4, 2021 at 3:11:21 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Thursday, March 4, 2021 at 10:45:10 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/4/2021 12:07 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Wednesday, March 3, 2021 at 7:18:03 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Tue, 2 Mar 2021 16:16:42 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Tuesday, March 2, 2021 at 2:17:52 PM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
So you think that a 2018 Emonda with Di2 is 2004 technology? Don't tell that to Trek.

That is a perfectly nice bike, and it will sell if the price is right -- but
I don't pretend to know what the right price is. My son's Emonda with Ultegra
just didn't sell. It was a fine, well maintained bike, but it apparently
lacked sex appeal. It was also a 62cm frame, which makes it harder to sell.
-- Jay Beattie.

I have it priced well below what Pro's Closet is asking for the same thing.
Is this the bicycle?
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/d/san-leandro-2018-trek-emonda-sl6-with/7284847343.html
Hmmm... posted 2 days ago.

I have no clue if the price is reasonable. My last bicycle cost me
$50 plus some parts, so this is well outside of my area of expertise..
If this listing uses the same text as your previous failed listing,
then I see the reason why it didn't sell. In your effort to provide
full disclosure and insure that the buyer will not be surprised by
some slight defect, you over-disclosed the problem. The description
is full of negative points, which could be repackaged into something
more appealing and less self-critical.

You should also consider mentioning something about why you're selling
the bicycle.

The photography could be improved starting by washing (and perhaps
waxing) the bicycle so that it looks like $3,500 machine. Washing off
the dirt might be a good start. Also, better lighting without dark
shadows (photo 3), less background clutter (photo 2), better depth of
field so bicycle parts are not out of focus (photos 5 & 7), and detail
on the key components (preferably both sides).

I suggest you change:
"Vittoria Corsa graphene protection tires"
to:
"Vittoria Corsa graphene flat protection tires".

I think it's a fair assumption that any potential buyer would know
something about carbon fiber and might be hesitant to purchase a used
bicycle that hasn't been tested for damage. Some reassurance that it
hasn't been beaten to death might be useful.

Drop the "...if it bothered you" which might be borderline insulting
to a potential buyer.

You mention 200 miles on the pedals "...when I put the bike together".
I suggest you rewrite that in indicate that the bicycle has been
ridden only 200 miles. However, I would be tempted to ask why you are
selling a bicycle with so few miles.

Good luck.
What I find as truly curious is that you would critique someone's craigslist ad as if you were a sales expert. But I suppose that when you believe yourself to be king of the hill you could judge absolutely anything.

Well, this is a discussion group. You opened this topic to discussion
when you described the bikes and your sales efforts. Jeff is offering
helpful advice.

As with your resume - essentially, another advertisement - you could be
right or Jeff could be right. The proof is in the results.

Let us know when the bike sells, or when you get hired. "Almost" doesn't
count.

I have a suspicion that Jeff has been right about anything so seldom that he can't even remember what it's like. this morning alone I turned down engineering positions in Minnesota, New York and a CTO position for a medical firm in Boston. Gee, all my most favorite places.

My bikes aren't selling because of their descriptions , photos or prices which are lower than they are on the Internet or Pros Closet but because everyone is broke. Everyone is afraid for the future under Biden. But you may continue sucking he big one. Tell us some more about this "discrimination" crap or that they were honest elections when the Democrat Party themselves just announced the results of their study of the election results and that Trump didn't get a larger turnout of Republicans but that many Democrats went across party lines. This is why suddenly we have a cancel culture. If you dare to have one wrong thought you will be canceled. The left has canceled Dr. Suess because he wasn't far enough left. Watch the results of that. We know all about you. You fell out of the Ugly Tree and hit every branch on the way down.

Your Trek is overpriced. You can get an equivalent Canyon with cable Ultegra and discs brand new for LESS money. You can get a NEW SL 6 with discs for another $300. https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...-disc/p/32561/ It doesn't have UDi2, but so what. I would rather have the OE seat, bar, stem and wheels. I'd run the other direction from your EC90 Chi-bar/stem all-in-one and the Chinese deep-aero wheels. Points for the Ultegra brakes, however -- which are nicer than the Trek OE brakes.

This is not about everybody being broke. You couldn't sell the bike back in October. And your target market is getting free money in the mail. My son got new skis and a new bike, but for him, a new bike from the company blem sale is about the cost of sales tax. The Democrats may save your ass with the next round of stimulus -- although you're already on the dole, and one hopes the checks are going to distressed landlords and others who are taking it in the shorts (speaking from experience) and not SS welfare slags trying to flip bikes.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old March 5th 21, 12:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Canyons have been breaking all over the place. I think that they have issued "do not ride" recalls on the new ones. Even the fancy new integrated bar has been breaking and Canyon has designed a special three piece lever clamp that doesn't place excessive strain on the bar. Or so they believe. Go ahead and buy a new Canyon. I think you deserve to treat yourself to something special.
Old March 5th 21, 01:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 4 Mar 2021 15:11:19 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
wrote:

My bikes aren't selling because of their descriptions , photos or prices
which are lower than they are on the Internet or Pros Closet but because
everyone is broke...

You might be right about it being lower. There are 78 out of 1438
bicycles for sale on Craigslist in the East Bay with an asking price
higher than your Emonda. That puts it in the upper 5%.

The most expensive, at $20,000:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/d/dublin-sierra-explorer-bike-2020/7283918274.html
features a "Custom engraved Brooks Saddle by tattoo artist DannyBoy
Smith". See photo #23. Perhaps you should have your saddle tattooed
and raise the asking price?

Maybe sell it to ProsCloset? At least find out what they think it's
worth:
https://www.theproscloset.com/blogs/news/the-top-5-ways-to-sell-your-used-bike
If your used bike has an original retail price of $1,500
or more, we're interested in buying it. There's no need
to struggle with listing your bike.

How to sell a bike and get what it's worth
https://flipsy.com/article/1179/whats-your-bike-worth-plus-how-to-sell-it

Here's a 2018 Trek Emonda SL 6 Pro that's close:
https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/value-guide/product/3075339
$2,195-$2,258 (excellent condition) or $2,089-$2,152 (very good
condition) to a private party. Just add in the difference in value
between your used R8000 Di2 and the used value of a conventional
Ultegra groupset.

As for the quality of my advice on how to improve your Craigslist
description and photos, I just noticed that it mostly follows the
advice from Bike Exchange:
https://www.bikeexchange.com/blog/selling-a-used-bike-online-guide
There are sections on cleaning up the bike, photos, and pricing:
As a general rule of thumb, a well-kept and maintained
modern bicycle will earn approximately 50% of its
original retail value.
If you don't like my advice, perhaps you could accept theirs.

Do I get a commission if it sells?

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
Old March 5th 21, 01:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

Argue all you want. Your bike is not going to sell when it is priced $300 below list on a new SL6 with discs. UDi2 is not that important to most people, particularly with cable Ultegra 11sp being as good as it is. Why would I buy your rim brake bike with scuffed up Chi-wheels when I can get a new SL6 with discs, brand new for close to the same price? Because it was owned by THE Tom Kunich? Sorry, but you're not Elvis.

BTW, I already treated myself to something special -- an Emonda SLR Race Shop Limited, basically Trek's TdF bike in 2017. I got it for 25% LESS than your used, lesser SL6, but then again, I got employee pricing since I've done work for Trek. I also get employee pricing on Specialized bikes through my son. I think Canyons are great deals, but I can get deals elsewhere. I love my Trek and will never flip it, and I find no joy in flipping bikes. I'll die with my Trek, although I might add a Specialized stealth ebike.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old March 5th 21, 02:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Sure, you turned down more jobs. Sure you did.

Tell us when you're actually hired. And knowing you, please provide proof.

My bikes aren't selling because of their descriptions , photos or prices which are lower than they are on the Internet or Pros Closet but because everyone is broke.

I'm far from broke. I'll be giving yet another stimulus check to
charity. But I wouldn't buy that bike even if it were a type I'd be
interested in owning.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 5th 21, 05:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Di2 isn't important to you? What do I care what your tastes are? I wouldn't have a bike with disk brakes on it anymore.
Old March 6th 21, 09:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_6_]

On 01/03/2021 01:42, Tom Kunich wrote:
I thought I posted on this already but I don't see it here.

I received the Eddy Merckx via FedEx today. I like the design. They
are using a thinner than normal aluminum so they are using more
complex shape to achieve the desired stiffness in the correct
directions.

With the headset, seat collar, steel bottle screws, the cable
adjuster, the under BB plastic cable guide and a heavy stem on it it
weighs in at 5.3 lbs.

I just drove down to Piedmont and got a 3T Prima handlebar from a guy
and almost fainted at the weight. It was so light that my car almost
floated on the way home. Getting a stem worthy of that bar will be a
hard part.

The only thing missing from assembling it is a new Campy cable set.
So I should be able to set it up as soon as I get the Felt off of the
workstand. That is mostly awaiting the Lower fork race driver. That
is scheduled for April but these days the Chinese are giving you the
worst possible travel times and so they are usually more than a month
over predicted.

After I get the Felt together, I'll take it out on a gravel ride and
if it handles like a cyclocross bike I'll have to apologize to Jay.
If it doesn't I get to rag him about it.

Then I will assemble the Eddy Merckx Elite. I've even Found a
Chinese company that sells Titanium forks so that I can change out
the carbon fork if the bikes rides well. The difference in weight
would be nil but the bike would then be 100% metal except for the
Record parts.

Why the **** are you not buying American parts instead of supporting the
Chinese? It's people like you that failed the MAGA movement and cost
Don the election.

Old March 6th 21, 08:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Saturday, March 6, 2021 at 1:11:41 AM UTC-8, Tosspot wrote:
[...]

Why aren't you aware that most of the parts marked "American" are made in China and sold with an American name for 5 times what they cost if you get the same thing from a Chinese seller? Trump lost the election through election fraud and not through not buying "made in America". And the report from the Democrat Party Chair committee said that the Republicans did not come out in any larger numbers than usual for an election but that those huge numbers came from Democrats who voted cross party. They didn't get those kinds of numbers for Biden if 4 million Democrats voted for Trump.

Eddy Merckx?? cciaffone[_3_] Marketplace 0 August 8th 12 05:34 PM
Eddy Merckx EX-1 62 cm Tom Kunich Marketplace 1 August 20th 08 06:38 PM
Eddy Merckx SC team frame, fork, Campagnolo hidden headset & Merckx seatpost clamp [email protected] Marketplace 0 September 13th 06 02:46 AM
Eddy Merckx Steve McGinty Racing 10 October 14th 04 03:40 AM
GP Eddy Merckx Colin Boyd Racing 3 August 23rd 04 07:01 PM