compact vs standard double shifting

Old November 7th 10, 10:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_2_]

Default compact vs standard double shifting

Do any of you find the a standard double shifts easier and smoother than a
50-34 compact? Not that they don't shift but that the standard double just
seems to make the jump much easier. It would make logical sense to me and so
far that is my experience but wondered? The whole issue of a compact vs a
triple I don't care about but that seems to be the big issue for most, I
just wonder about the compact shifting vs standard double.

Deacon Mark Cleary
Epiphany Church

Old November 7th 10, 11:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ed[_8_]

On Nov 7, 4:36*pm, "Mark Cleary" wrote:
Do any of you find the a standard double shifts easier and smoother than a
50-34 compact? Not that they don't shift but that the standard double just
seems to make the jump much easier. It would make logical sense to me and so
far that is my experience but wondered? The whole issue of a compact vs a
triple I don't care about but that seems to be the big issue for most, I
just wonder about the compact shifting vs standard double.

Deacon Mark Cleary
Epiphany Church

If it is flat enough a standard double is pretty sweet. The FD needs
to work well.
Old November 7th 10, 11:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Nov 7, 2:36 pm, "Mark Cleary" wrote:
Do any of you find the a standard double shifts easier and smoother than a
50-34 compact? Not that they don't shift but that the standard double just
seems to make the jump much easier. It would make logical sense to me and so
far that is my experience but wondered? The whole issue of a compact vs a
triple I don't care about but that seems to be the big issue for most, I
just wonder about the compact shifting vs standard double.

Bigger sprockets have less bend in the chain.
Old November 7th 10, 11:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Nov 7, 10:36*pm, "Mark Cleary" wrote:
Do any of you find the a standard double shifts easier and smoother than a
50-34 compact? Not that they don't shift but that the standard double just
seems to make the jump much easier. It would make logical sense to me and so
far that is my experience but wondered? The whole issue of a compact vs a
triple I don't care about but that seems to be the big issue for most, I
just wonder about the compact shifting vs standard double.

Deacon Mark Cleary
Epiphany Church

My 42 -39 shift works quickly and flawlessly, either way around. The
original 13 teeth shift was slow in a racing situation, which
basically meant next to no drive when doing the changeover and
slotting in the rear cog. I really hate that setup now and prefer to
use a simple wide ratio 5 speed with well apportioned chainring.
Old November 8th 10, 04:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Nov 7, 4:36*pm, "Mark Cleary" wrote:
Do any of you find the a standard double shifts easier and smoother than a
50-34 compact? Not that they don't shift but that the standard double just
seems to make the jump much easier. It would make logical sense to me and so
far that is my experience but wondered? The whole issue of a compact vs a
triple I don't care about but that seems to be the big issue for most, I
just wonder about the compact shifting vs standard double.

Setting up any double to shift acceptably is not very difficult.
Performance varies mainly due to setup, tooth difference, and
chainring design. Compact is a great choice around here, notsomuch in
Illinois.
Old November 8th 10, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Art Harris

Mark Cleary wrote:
Do any of you find the a standard double shifts easier and smoother than a
50-34 compact?

Percentage wise, a 50/34 is a larger shift than a 53/39. I've used
both and would say the 53/39 shift is a bit smoother.

I like my compact, but I try to avoid shifting from the 50 to the 34
when in the larger rear cogs. Of course, it's good practice to avoid
big-big and small-small combinations in any gearing scheme.

Art Harris

Is there a double standard? David Jones Racing 3 July 7th 10 01:01 AM
Double Standard at Australian Open Road Champs Walrus Australia 4 January 12th 07 01:32 AM
Will a standard Shimano double FD work with compact cranksets(e.g., 50/34)? NandoMan Techniques 7 July 23rd 06 10:26 PM
A Double Standard? B. Lafferty Racing 13 June 29th 06 09:35 AM
double-standard? matabala Racing 1 February 27th 06 05:38 PM