My ebike is legal!

Old April 1st 11, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

Default My ebike is legal!

Even if it isn't I am covered by this and my supplier is therefore
responsible should the bike's legality be questioned by police.

"Are the electric bikes UK road legal?
Yes, all the electric bikes OnBike supply are UK road legal."

http://www.onbike.co.uk/faq

Possible explanation...

"As ever with the law, imperfect drafting means that no-one really
knows how the legal requirement should be measured. In reality it's
arguable that the only true measure of the legal power is that
imparted to the road for effective use, meaning a dynamometer
measurement, lower than the gross or net motor power."

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/elec...tion-wise.html

So the motorists here who have repeatedly questioned the legality of
my e-bike can no longer do so with any certainty whatsoever.

Doug
Old April 1st 11, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

Doug wrote:

my e-bike can no longer do so with any certainty whatsoever.

And your counter claims of legality are equally uncertain.

BugBear
Old April 1st 11, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Doug wrote:
Even if it isn't I am covered by this and my supplier is therefore
responsible should the bike's legality be questioned by police.

"Are the electric bikes UK road legal?
Yes, all the electric bikes OnBike supply are UK road legal."

http://www.onbike.co.uk/faq

Possible explanation...

"As ever with the law, imperfect drafting means that no-one really
knows how the legal requirement should be measured. In reality it's
arguable that the only true measure of the legal power is that
imparted to the road for effective use, meaning a dynamometer
measurement, lower than the gross or net motor power."

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/elec...tion-wise.html

So the motorists here who have repeatedly questioned the legality of
my e-bike can no longer do so with any certainty whatsoever.

Doug

that holds as much weight as your own word on the subject. Are you sure it
is not an April Fool?

Old April 1st 11, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_2_]

Doug wrote:

So the motorists here who have repeatedly questioned the legality of
my e-bike can no longer do so with any certainty whatsoever.

So you find a clause that seems to offer you a get-out. Isn't this
something you hypocritically rave about when a car user 'gets off' on a
technicality?

But lets give you the benefit of the doubt and say it might be legal
.... but is it ethical?

I mean, it's manufactured overseas, shipped here, then has to be
delivered to you, I wonder how much that costs?

I wonder how the electricity gets into the bike and how much that costs
to make and it's environmental impact?

Have you considered the elements that go into making the battery pack
and those elements that are dug out of the ground .. Elements that
can't be replaced, a bit like the fossil fuels you continually moan
that others squander?

All your talk of legality and ethical awareness means nothing if you're
personally inconvenienced does it Doug?

You're a hypocritical oaf. You were on URD, you are on URC. You
probably always will be.

--
Paul - xxx
Old April 1st 11, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On Apr 1, 1:01*pm, "Paul - xxx" wrote:
Doug wrote:
So the motorists here who have repeatedly questioned the legality of
my e-bike can no longer do so with any certainty whatsoever.

So you find a clause that seems to offer you a get-out. *Isn't this
something you hypocritically rave about when a car user 'gets off' on a
technicality?

Such as?

But lets give you the benefit of the doubt and say it might be legal
... but is it ethical?

I mean, it's manufactured overseas, shipped here, then has to be
delivered to you, I wonder how much that costs?

Much less than your car.

I wonder how the electricity gets into the bike and how much that costs
to make and it's environmental impact?

To fully charge the battery costs a mere 5p and that is good for 20
miles without any pedalling. I wonder how much your car costs per
mile?

Have you considered the elements that go into making the battery pack
and those elements that are dug out of the ground .. Elements that
can't be replaced, a bit like the fossil fuels you continually moan
that others squander?

If you are referring to Lithium it is widespread in rocks and the
batteries can be recycled. Of course, the same applies to electric
cars but they use more Lithium and uses much more electricity to
charge their batteries. Electric bicycles are the most efficient form
of motorised transport.

All your talk of legality and ethical awareness means nothing if you're
personally inconvenienced does it Doug?

Eh?

You're a hypocritical oaf. *You were on URD, you are on URC. *You
probably always will be.

Pot kettle, hypocrite.

Doug

Old April 1st 11, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_2_]

Doug wrote:

On Apr 1, 1:01*pm, "Paul - xxx" wrote:
Doug wrote:
So the motorists here who have repeatedly questioned the legality
of my e-bike can no longer do so with any certainty whatsoever.

So you find a clause that seems to offer you a get-out. *Isn't this
something you hypocritically rave about when a car user 'gets off'
on a technicality?

Such as?

But lets give you the benefit of the doubt and say it might be legal
... but is it ethical?

I mean, it's manufactured overseas, shipped here, then has to be
delivered to you, I wonder how much that costs?

Much less than your car.

er, no. Mine is UK manufacture.

I wonder how the electricity gets into the bike and how much that
costs to make and it's environmental impact?

To fully charge the battery costs a mere 5p and that is good for 20
miles without any pedalling. I wonder how much your car costs per
mile?

And where does the electricity come from?

Have you considered the elements that go into making the battery
pack and those elements that are dug out of the ground .. Elements
that can't be replaced, a bit like the fossil fuels you continually
moan that others squander?

If you are referring to Lithium it is widespread in rocks and the
batteries can be recycled. Of course, the same applies to electric
cars but they use more Lithium and uses much more electricity to
charge their batteries. Electric bicycles are the most efficient form
of motorised transport.

Coal is widespread, as is Oil etc, but you moan about their extraction
and use.

All your talk of legality and ethical awareness means nothing if
you're personally inconvenienced does it Doug?

Eh?

You're a hypocritical oaf. *You were on URD, you are on URC. *You
probably always will be.

Pot kettle, hypocrite.

How am I a hypocrite? I don't preach to people like you do.

--
Paul - xxx
Old April 1st 11, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011 02:23:22 -0700 (PDT), Doug wrote:

Even if it isn't I am covered by this and my supplier is therefore
responsible should the bike's legality be questioned by police.

"Are the electric bikes UK road legal?
Yes, all the electric bikes OnBike supply are UK road legal."

http://www.onbike.co.uk/faq

Possible explanation...

"As ever with the law, imperfect drafting means that no-one really
knows how the legal requirement should be measured. In reality it's
arguable that the only true measure of the legal power is that
imparted to the road for effective use, meaning a dynamometer
measurement, lower than the gross or net motor power."

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/elec...tion-wise.html

So the motorists here who have repeatedly questioned the legality of
my e-bike can no longer do so with any certainty whatsoever.

Doug

What is the specification, Make/model of it please?

Old April 1st 11, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

even I know this one:
eZee Forza trigger controllable and 250w
from:
http://www.onbike.co.uk/ezee-electri...zee-forza.html

he even wrote a thank you to them, ah, bless.:
"The performance & hill climbing is top notch." Doug Bollen - eZee Forza
Customer

Old April 1st 11, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_4_]

On 01/04/2011 10:23, Doug wrote:
Even if it isn't I am covered by this and my supplier is therefore
responsible should the bike's legality be questioned by police.

Fraid not **** for brains. You are responsible as the registered
keeper, not the supplier.

Old April 1st 11, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011 15:18:38 +0100, "Mrcheerful" wrote:

snip

What is the specification, Make/model of it please?

even I know this one:
eZee Forza trigger controllable and 250w
from:
http://www.onbike.co.uk/ezee-electri...zee-forza.html

he even wrote a thank you to them, ah, bless.:
"The performance & hill climbing is top notch." Doug Bollen - eZee Forza
Customer

Are you sure that you have the right one?

Surely the DfT Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycles regulations say of the scope

Maximum continuous rated power output of the motor shall not exceed
- Bicycle: 200W

Isn't that bike 250w ?

The regs also say that such a bike will need to be registered, insured and is subject to Vehicle
Excise.

Has anyone told Doug?

ebike build Wes Newell General 0 February 15th 11 11:03 PM
Historic 1946 Ebike from England chewbacca Techniques 3 February 6th 08 10:17 PM
ebike forum. chewbacca Australia 0 January 29th 08 06:40 PM
I want to buy ebike kit (europe) Rainer Wallen General 1 April 10th 05 06:58 PM
ebike kit Rainer Wallen Social Issues 0 April 10th 05 12:57 PM